• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Occupations That Have Faded Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think drum and piano makers are becoming a trade of the past sadly. And piano tuners. I was told that a company makes furniture out of old drums, I couldn't sell a late friends for love nor money he had 2 drum kits. The Piano in The Tipperary Inn Meer End is a fish tank. Our youngest calls it the fish pananna, he is 3 he loves to show it to us and says it doesn't play,

They employed a group of women once from a Time In Motion company from Scotland. They always wore black . They stripped out a whole line of management 3 who took pay cuts & became secretaries to the remaining Managers who went up a peg. So much for money saving. We called them the Scottish Widows
Seen where companies pay consultants who ask the staff what should be done Money for old rope.

Bewdley Museum has a display and brasscasting office, but had to stop demonstrations of casting due to health and safety. Remember watching the men work there with hot metal many years ago.
Many stayed away from ferrous casting because of the danger. The temperatures were much higher and any moisture would cause spattering at this higher temperatures.

I think drum and piano makers are becoming a trade of the past sadly. And piano tuners. I was told that a company makes furniture out of old drums, I couldn't sell a late friends for love nor money he had 2 drum kits. The Piano in The Tipperary Inn Meer End is a fish tank. Our youngest calls it the fish pananna, he is 3 he loves to show it to us and says it doesn't play

Remember a piano tuner at junior school.

I do also. We were all fascinated, with his tuning fork.

Also the BT engineers used to shin up the telegraph poles there are tiny steps. Now they are not allowed to they use cherry pickers.

And steeple jacks

I think they all are!
Pub up the d ft tgey smoke outside in blizzards
Still going but in vans or pick ups and they do not give you a balloon or goldfish anymore . Getting picky also would not take the wife.
ours blow a trumpet badly and all the local dogs howl. In France a dusyman shook hand as I handed him the bag, as did the grave diggers and they blessed the grave with holy water.

The Co Op insurance man diddled me I am glad the dog bit him. We had to in & pay after that .

Think we had the man from the Pru too he never came in.
We used to have a Provident Cheque book from the CO-OP. When you spent £30.00 you got a voucher worth 50p . Even remember moms Dividend number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back