• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham history videos and clips

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
This section will in time cover videos/films of old Birmingham (it’s planned to change the section headings in this part of the Forum). If you have any that are of Birmingham past please post your links here. I know links are scattered throughout BHF threads, but it would be helpful to also have them in one place as a source of historical Birmingham information.

Please place a link with a few words about the content. This thread is intended for Birmingham history only.

Thank you all in advance.

Viv.

Last edited:
I think the Brummagem ballads have been mentioned by Lady P. I have the CD and this is one of them. It’s good to be able to share with the Forum.

They include Brummagem on Sea, and my favourite The Slam Bum Taylor. Although this is sung in many parts of the country !

From 1965 and the excellent “Look at Life” series, at 6.48 this edition shows an unknown (unless anyone recognises it?) Birmingham street where rubbish is collected and then taken at 7.17 to what I recognise as the Lifford Lane incinerator, Kings Norton. One slip and both these chaps could have gone down the fiery hole with the sofa, too!

I’m guessing it’s all shot at the same place but I could be wrong. It’s not actually stated in the film where the incinerator is but I grew up about 500 yards away from it and recognised it instantly. I’d be interested to know where the sofa was collected from, it looks like a very well-to-do area. Moseley? Bournville?

From 1965 and the excellent “Look at Life” series, at 6.48 this edition shows an unknown (unless anyone recognises it?) Birmingham street where rubbish is collected and then taken at 7.17 to what I recognise as the Lifford Lane incinerator, Kings Norton. One slip and both these chaps could have gone down the fiery hole with the sofa, too!
The good news is that recycling has come a long way particularly with automation and repurposing! The bad news is that humans are creating more waste than ever.

This film's brought back some memories Pete. On the one hand there are still quite a few recognisable landmarks around today. But wasn't Brum a mess in the 60s ? I suppose for many who'd lived through the war years this must have felt like real progress.

I can't say I remember that fountain tumbling down the steps in the Bull Ring. The view is of the Rotunda in the background. Maybe it wasn't there for long. Viv.

Back