• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gerrard Street

hi rember jacks shop i used to go in there when i was a kid when we lived in
furnace lane number 9 ,and there used to be another shop rigth across from it can t
rember the name of it , i wonder does anyone rember the newsagent that was on
the conner of furnace lane and gerrard st in the 1960s would love to see a photo
thank you mary.

I remember that newsagents very well - I used to walk down Furnace Lane to go to Alma St School in the 50s/60s - also, close to Furnace Lane in Gerrard St was our local barber, a man by the name of Albert Marshall, I used to be taken there for my 'short back and sides'

hi i can t renber the barber but i do rember alma st school it was in the
next lane down , do you recall the name of the newsagent shop it might
help me with trying to find a pic of the place , there was also a little shop
at the other end of the lane not in the lane the back of it was do you
rember it .

I was raised on Wilton Street which crossed Gerrard St. at the Gunmakers Arms. The photo here looks to me to show Michael's Fish and Chip shop which was diagonally opposite the 'Guns' On the other two corners were Teresa's Sweet shop and Reg Harris's Cycle Shop.

Cheers,

DaveG

Hi Richie,

If my addled memory still serves me, the Acorn was a small 'Outdoor' at the intersection of Wilton St. and Clifford St.

Hi all. I'm interested in number 68 Gerrard St. Does anyone know if any of the above pics shows this part of the street? Viv.

My mom's (Janet Meeson)Newtown Gerrard St.jpg familys house is the first one boared up next to the shop
that was the front door they had to go round the corner to the back door

hi margaret we lived next door to you at number 9 back in the 1960s my name then was mary naughton one of my sisters was the paper girl at antlers . i wondered if you had any photos of our old
house or the paper shop or the lane in general would be very nice to hear from you thank you.

I was raised on Wilton Street which crossed Gerrard St. at the Gunmakers Arms. The photo here looks to me to show Michael's Fish and Chip shop which was diagonally opposite the 'Guns' On the other two corners were Teresa's Sweet shop and Reg Harris's Cycle Shop.

Cheers,

DaveG

hi dave i think this is the chippy you mentioned..number 8 doing a slight turn..dated 1967Gerrard St 1967.... 1.JPG

lyn

Four years on from the last post - thank you Lyn, I'm researching Gerrard Street as I've discovered that my paternal grandmother, Edith Humphries, had a laundry at no 93 Gerrard Street, near to the Belle Vue pub in 1921. This site of this now sits under the Holte School (HML) campus in Wheeler Street. I appreciate that as this was 100 years ago it's unlikely that there is anyone around that remembers the laundry, but does anyone have any photographs of Gerrard Street especially the "lost" stretch from Wheeler Street to Alma Street? Perhaps Lloyd Penfold could re-post the missing photographs he posted in 2007 that got lost in the "great hacking". David.

Attachments

• Gerrard Street - 1951 map marked with pubs & laundry.jpg
    Gerrard Street - 1951 map marked with pubs & laundry.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 36
Hi David, the attached image is looking up Lennox Street towards Gerrard Street and shows No. 91 (93 would have been behind this). Not exactly what you were after but I will keep looking through what I have, there may be a better one.

Attachments

• lennox-st12.jpg
    lennox-st12.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 37
Hi David, the attached image is looking up Lennox Street towards Gerrard Street and shows No. 91 (93 would have been behind this). Not exactly what you were after but I will keep looking through what I have, there may be a better one.
Thank you so much. This is more than I've got at the moment. The nearest I've got at the moment is the Belle Vue, but the angle doesn't allow me to see the rest of Gerrard Street. D

Aerial view of Gerrard Street 1950, unfortunately Nos. 91/93 are hidden behind No. 84 Gerrard Street.

Attachments

• gerrard-st-nos91-93.jpg
    gerrard-st-nos91-93.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 28
Thank you - it all helps to remember what it was like 50 years ago and 100! Not much changed in between the two I suspect! D
I guess the only difference was the buildings lost due to air-raids, strange to think that when I used to play on the bomb pecks mid 50s, aged 6 or 7, I didn't have a clue (didn't even give it a thought) what had caused them.

Four images of the shop at 47 Gerrard Street (corner of Furnace Lane). The first taken in its heyday (1910), two from early 1968, then the last showing its final disappearance 9/11/1968, how sad.

Attachments

• 47-gerrard-st-1910.jpg
    47-gerrard-st-1910.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 40
  • fl17.jpg
    fl17.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 41
  • fl21.jpg
    fl21.jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 42
  • fl20.jpg
    fl20.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 41
I agree Lyn and how lucky for anybody who had relatives at No. 47, I would be happy with just 1 image of 7 Parliament Street or 143 Park Lane. Where did you manage to find that 1910 image?

oh i know how you feel john...i am always on the look out for parliament st...the 1910 image was sent to me

lyn

Four images of the shop at 47 Gerrard Street (corner of Furnace Lane). The first taken in its heyday (1910), two from early 1968, then the last showing its final disappearance 9/11/1968, how sad.
I lived by this shop for years and often wondered what it had been I take it had been distroyed in the war as I was born in 1949 and it looked like this then

Hi all. It's a long shot, I know, but does anyone have information about a family bakery that ran at 67 Gerrard Street at the start of the 20th Century? My great-grandmother Emily Jane Roper worked there as a shop assistant in 1911 and I'd love to know more - even if they're just scraps.

Emily married in 1912 and moved to Bewdley. She was knocked down by a car and killed on the main Kidderminster Road in 1959, which must have been a shocking piece of news in that small town at that time.

Love the Forum. Lots of valuable, textured information here that genealogy-lite just won't give you. Keep up the good work!

Mark

A little later but I think (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if it isn't) that this picture here shows no. 67 on the right corner...

This map (1950) shows the junction and if it was the opposite side then the building on the left would be a pub...

0 - Gerrard St.jpg

Back