• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kensington Road Selly Park elegant & unusual house

AdrianCork

proper brummie kid
Good Morning,

I'm hopeful that the forum will be able to help me identify and locate the house pictured. My grandparents sold a nice semi-detached house in Plaistow Avenue, Birmingham B36, and moved to what my dad described as "an elegant and unusual detached house with grounds in an upmarket area of Birmingham".

The photographs are taken from what look like home developed negatives that I found in an envelope at the bottom of an old suitcase. I have no other reference to this house.

To me it's an extremely stylish house that, if it has survived, could quite possibly be listed. There's a cool Morris 8 Series E parked up the drive.

Any help anyone can give in identifying and locating the house would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Adrian

Attachments

• Dads House Before Thornton (1).jpeg
    Dads House Before Thornton (1).jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 76
  • Dads House Before Thornton (2).jpeg
    Dads House Before Thornton (2).jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Dads House Before Thornton (3).jpeg
    Dads House Before Thornton (3).jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 75
almost art deco in style but not certain...sorry the location is not jumping out at me..did your dad move there as well?

if you know when your grandparents moved to the above house you could try looking them up on the electoral rolls on ancestry which i think go up to 1960/5

lyn

As the driveway opening appears on opposite sides I suspect one is in reverse
Kensington road Selly Park? I've lost the site where I found photos but there were about 5 similar and a couple had added pitched roofs.

No 36,38,40,42 & 44

Last edited:
Amazed members have been able to locate this house so quickly! They must be pretty unique too. A lovely (and different) example of 1930s/40s/50s(?) housing, albeit quite exclusive. I would have expected them to be listed. Be wonderful if Adrian had any interior photos. Viv.

If the garage is on the right then I think it would be 44. This house has now been extended beyond recognition and sold in 2016 for over £1million.
1629719114916.png

As the driveway opening appears on opposite sides I suspect one is in reverse
The photograph was probably in reverse as I found the negatives at the bottom of a suitcase of dad's, along with one of a mystery woman in a bikini. That must be a whole other story I'll never get to know.

Amazed members have been able to locate this house so quickly! They must be pretty unique too. A lovely (and different) example of 1930s/40s/50s(?) housing, albeit quite exclusive. I would have expected them to be listed. Be wonderful if Adrian had any interior photos. Viv.
I really wish I did have interior photographs, but those negatives are all we have. My Grandfather, Leonard George Cork, moved up to Liverpool a matter of 12-18 months after buying this house. He was offered the chance to build and run a factory for ICI in Kirkby. Dad moves schools from King Edwards to Merchant Taylors.

So, where the bikini clad lady photo? ;)
You asked for it, so here it is. I used Filmbox to scan and colourise it. I have a vague idea of who she is, but only a first name. I guess some stories are destined to remain untold.

Attachments

• Negative found amongst Dads effects.jpeg
    Negative found amongst Dads effects.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 29
I had searched the phone books on ancestry, which I have used a lot, but this didn't come up. My dad's house in Streetly is there in the 1968 phone book, as is my Great Uncle Reg's. But this nails it.
I don't use the search form (I have found it too inaccurate). I open the directory and then enter page numbers until I find the initial letter I want. Tedious and slow but, I think, more accurate.
Pleased to help.

Well done everyone indeed. I thought I was quite good at this research stuff, but this forum is next level. You've helped me locate a family grave and my dad's last house in Birmingham. Thank you.
Being cheeky here but perhaps worth a small donation to the forum? (Unless you have already given, of course). As the site is run by volunteers and there is no joining fee.

Back