• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Looking at posting 2122, if you divide the photo into four quarters you will find that the top left hand quarter hasn't changed very much, apart from the row of houses and the swimming baths on Victoria Road which were pulled down, the other three quarters have almost be totally wiped out, I was sure that the HP warehouse on the corner of Upper Thomas Street and Tower Road was a listed building, The photo has given me a great view of Upper Thomas Street school, and the old Aston Cross picture house. Its looks like there is a cricket match being played in the park, could be lads from my old school or the lads from King Edwards Grammer...

You asked I supply !! Hope this is what you are looking for Lancaster Circus , Fire Station and University before any flyovers, also shows what was lost to make way for all the University buildings.

View attachment 158868
I can see the Birmingham College of Art building to the left of the original technical college building. It looks like they are still completing groundworks around it or is this a later redevelopment of the site. I studied there in the late 60's.

I can see the Birmingham College of Art building to the left of the original technical college building. It looks like they are still completing groundworks around it or is this a later redevelopment of the site. I studied there in the late 60's.

Yes, Gosta Green as it was, I wanted to go to the Art College but didn't get in.
The Fire Station nearby.

As promised her is another picture from the building of the expressway, this shows the full extent of Aston Halls grounds, Villa Park is rather small compared to today and the first piers of the elevated section are appearing

View attachment 158778
Can anyone highlight where Victoria Road Police Station was, please? I once paid a visit there, late one night, (not voluntarily, I might add) after a family celebration at a nearby pub!

Can anyone highlight where Victoria Road Police Station was, please? I once paid a visit there, late one night, (not voluntarily, I might add) after a family celebration at a nearby pub!
I'm fairly certain that this is it.

Attachments

• victoria-rd-police-stn.jpg
    victoria-rd-police-stn.jpg
    903.5 KB · Views: 35
This is 25- 27 Formans Road in 1975, all a man requires chip shop and bookies and a couple of classic cars. Plenty of changes going on if you look about sign height. Some brickwork painted, some windows replaced and is Joe Corals two shops knocked into one? The lady in the fish and chip shop seems to be taking great interest in the photographer!
Note also the racehorse prints in the window of the Turf Accountants - sounds much better !

25 - 27 Formans Road - 75.jpg

This is 25- 27 Formans Road in 1975, all a man requires chip shop and bookies and a couple of classic cars. Plenty of changes going on if you look about sign height. Some brickwork painted, some windows replaced and is Joe Corals two shops knocked into one? The lady in the fish and chip shop seems to be taking great interest in the photographer!
Note also the racehorse prints in the window of the Turf Accountants - sounds much better !

View attachment 158907
In the 1973 Kellys no 25 was Bill Cutler, turf accountant, and 27 was F. Holder, butcher. I guess when Corals took over they decided to expand

Evening another picture around the fire station University area again still no flyovers.

View attachment 158905
The College of Advanced Technology has something of the look of a power station. I suppose it was in a way. The Art College building, on the right in this view, looks as though the footings have just been put in for the Student Union Block.

View attachment 158907
Thanks for the Formans Road photo. It shows our local chip shop when I was a lad in the 1960s .... just a short walk through the "gulley" from my home in Thornhill Road.

Back to Sues area, this is an interesting view of Bristol Road, still with properties on both sides of the road but with redevelopment creeping in and holes starting to appear. Nice collection of buses - anyone place where they are gathered?

---------------------------------------------
Here is todays image, the houses are still there in Mowbray street, , those buses were crammed in solid, maybe for scrap
street.jpg

And the self service store almost 50 years later !
Is this is the shop next to Digby Park on Mansel Road? If so, I remember going with my father probably in the later sixties/early 70's and being led round to the back where there was a large barn type door. the owner opened it and it was full of chickens (live) where I guess my father must have ordered one to be butchered.

Total change in location and era, this is 20 Beeches Walk Sutton Coldfield in 1976, love the leaded windows upstairs and the old names - International, NSS but I don't remember FOLPACK frozen foods. I like to look at the food prices and what is in the shop windows, finally the BSA motorbike and leather clad rider set the scene.

20 Beeches Walk SC - 76.jpg

This a bit different is the back of somewhere but I am not sure where . The "Chateau" styling is distinctive though. See also the old bus stop on the left and the tall lamp post with a few ornamental ones on the extreme left.

View attachment 159032

Is it Suffolk St, College of Technology?

Back