• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Final resting places of the famous in Birmingham

A bit more info. I’ve read there was a recognised lack of any memorial to Hutton both in Birmingham and Derby (birthplace). I think the one at St Margaret’s Ward End must have been put in place as a response to this. The memorial (which is very impressive) is just that: it’s not grave. Viv.

thanks viv that is what i was told by someone who is researching hutton...i now wonder where his wife is and when did she die... :rolleyes:

lyn

Lyn/Viv,

This looks like Sarah Hutton's burial in a vault at Aston & would account for why William is there. I've done a screenshot to keep the size down, but she was buried on 29 January 1796 after dying of asthma at the age of 65. Address is stated to be Washwood Heath. Bill Dargue confirms that the house was demolished, though not as a result of the riots as they temporarily moved into a cottage while repairs were being effected.

Maurice :cool:

Attachments

• Sarah Hutton Burial Aston.jpg
    Sarah Hutton Burial Aston.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 9
thanks maurice much appreciated...strange that it does not say wife of william hutton..

lyn

Lyn,

Well that's more than many burial entries of that period show. I couldn't locate a christening in Derbyshire for her, but it is difficult to know how complete the non-conformist entries are, but I checked Ancestry, FMP & FS. Perhaps any inscription on the vault may reveal who is in there.

thanks for looking maurice at least this clears up where william and sarah are buried...my next task (as it keeps me out of trouble) is to try and find an old map showing where bennetts hill washwood heath/saltley was..must say i am enjoying reading the observations of william hutton he also had a good sense of humour...stay safe and well maurice

lyn

Sarah’s Burial is in a vault in the Churchyard which might make it easier to locate. Viv.

Hutton married Sarah Cock at St Phillips on 23/6/1755 in the presence of Mr Grace and Mr William Ryland. Sarah is referred to as “Sally” by Hutton. Sarah’s father was at this time living in Aston. Hutton was happily married to Sarah/Sally for 40 years (his words).

So now starting to see good reasons for him being buried with Sarah at Aston. Viv.

There were two houses, built by Hutton in what was then called Bennetts Hill , now part of Washwood Heath Road. One was the Red House, and the other, originally called Bennetts Hill cottage, but later Bennetts Hill house, was built by him for his son Thomas Hutton. They can be seen on the c1889 map below

map c1889 showing bennett's hill House.jpg

There were two houses, built by Hutton in what was then called Bennetts Hill , now part of Washwood Heath Road. One was the Red House, and the other, originally called Bennetts Hill cottage, but later Bennetts Hill house, was built by him for his son Thomas Hutton. They can be seen on the c1889 map below

View attachment 148976

great map thanks mike..i think bennetts hill house has gone no surprises there but i wonder if red house is still there

Lyn,

I thought the Bill Dargue site showed a modern block of housing on the site of Red House?

maurice the photo on bills site of the new housing just says it was the site of huttons house at bennetts hill so it could be the site of either of the 2 houses he had there...its not really clear

lyn

All gone - Red House would have been alongside the “Washwood Heath Road” Road label (and south of Bennett’s Road) and Bennett’s Hill House would have been opposite on the other side of the road. The history is remembered in the names of nearby Hutton Road and Bennett’s Road. Viv.

Attachments

• 747B814B-202D-4E4B-A0F9-60E7682EDAB5.jpeg
    747B814B-202D-4E4B-A0F9-60E7682EDAB5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
There was still a member of the Hutton family living at Bennett’s Hill House in the 1880s. Viv.
Extract from British Newspaper Archives

Attachments

• 23B77F6C-FFBB-4FBC-8ADF-B725223FC333.jpeg
    23B77F6C-FFBB-4FBC-8ADF-B725223FC333.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 11
Not his daughter, she died in 1846 and would have been too old. Must have been a later descendent; maybe a daughter or granddaughter of Thomas, Wm Hutton’s son ? There was a Catherine Hutton Beale there in 1891. Viv.

Last edited:
Returning to Maurices earlier point that Sarah Cocks was from “Aston on Trent” A south Derbyshire village. Is this where she’s buried rather than Aston Birmingham ? Viv.

Returning to Maurices earlier point that Sarah Cocks was from “Aston on Trent” A south Derbyshire village. Is this where she’s buried rather than Aston Birmingham ? Viv.

we if she is viv aston parish burial records are wrong...i see no reason to think they are at the min

lyn

Of course Lyn! Losing the plot ........ coincidence that there are two ‘Astons’ involved ! Viv.

The reference to Inigo Jones in the list (post #1) might be this business ?

William Inigo Jones (along with Allin Nichols) lamp manufacture were made bankrupt in March 1846
There’s also an Inigo Jones Railway Lamp maker at 111 Bloomsbury (Birmingham ?) 23/11/1870 - a different person (?) or had he gone into business after the earlier bankruptcy ?

Viv.

Back