• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Loveday Street Hospital

W

Wendy

Here's a photo of Loveday Street about 1955 The Birmingham Maternity Hospital Nurses Hostel is on the left.

Attachments

• City Loveday St - Vesey St - Lench St.jpg
    City Loveday St - Vesey St - Lench St.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 221
Last edited by a moderator:
Great photo Wendy, thanks. My eldest son was 'turned' there in 1965 - if you see what I mean. (He was in a breech position and they manipulated him round the right way for the birth ..... ouch,)

Thank you Wendy for posting the photo.

I had my youngest boy there in 1964.....great joy for me as I had lost a son the year before.

Here's a brilliant photo from Birmingham Maternity Hospital Trust. Thanks to Barbara Clarke.

Attachments

• Loveday St Delivery Theatre.jpg
    Loveday St Delivery Theatre.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 147
Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember correctly there was a Rowton house very near by.

I remember one of their "clients" (as they would be called today!;)) wandering into the maternity ward and the sister saying, in no uncertain terms, "you REALLY do not want to be in here!!" The said gentleman asked why not and when she told him where he was he scarppered like a bullet from a gun!! We moms were in fits. Poor bloke, I bet he thought the end of his world was really nigh with all the screams of birthing women!!!:gasp:

I was born there in 1967 gran always said they pulled it down sraight after.:D

• Appreciate
Reactions: PWE
Rob & Cathy Houghton

We had our eldest daughter in Loveday Street in August 1967, what a joy she's been and what a great hospital.

If I remember correctly there was a Rowton house very near by.

I remember one of their "clients" (as they would be called today!;)) wandering into the maternity ward and the sister saying, in no uncertain terms, "you REALLY do not want to be in here!!" The said gentleman asked why not and when she told him where he was he scarppered like a bullet from a gun!! We moms were in fits. Poor bloke, I bet he thought the end of his world was really nigh with all the screams of birthing women!!!:gasp:
I recognise this post is way after the original but in the interests of accuracy was Rowton house was in Highbury - so not close to Loveday Street at all??

rowton house

hi the rowton house was in highgate .right next door to the highgate park:p

Hi when I worked in Loveday street in the late 50s there was a down and out hostel nearly next to the hospital and as I walked to the office they used to be turning the men out for the day. I guess they used to roam the street then. If you look on the 3rd picture behind the ambulance you can see the building where I used to work. My first memory of Loveday Street is when I was 3 sitting on a step outside while my mother was inside having my sister.:)

Many thanks for the picture of Loveday Street Maternity Hospital, Moma P. My mom was born there in 1923 and I had been searching for a pic.
Steve

The hostal was a Sally Army home, stay for the night kicked out during the day.

hi wendy thnx for post, my mom was born there in 1911 her surname was EADES, has anyone got any information on her, i would be much abliged. tony

I was born in Loveday Street.

When I was born, they thought that I did not have long to live so the last rights were read to me. My dear heavily pregnant mother, for some reason was convinced that she was having a girl and as result did not have a boys name prepared?

So according to my mother I was Christened in hospital and named after the person who delivered me - their name was Dr O'Keef, so I was called Keith?

As you can see, I survived... Wasted journey for the priest? However, I spent the first month or two of my life in what was referred to as an 'Iron Lung'.

Is there anyway of checking the staff names at the hospital in April 1952?

Mayfield (keith)

Blimey Mayfield you and me both - I was a 'Blue' baby whatever that meant. When my Mom got me home a neighbour with +10 children that survived (some say not all did not survive died naturally) said Oh dear luv you'll never rear 'im. Well 65 years later I am still going strong :)

Bernie, I had a cousin who was a "blue baby" and my mother said it was a term given to babies born with heart defects. Glad you survived to tell the tale.

My Mom Ethel Kirby was a nurse there in 50's I remember waiting for her to finish her Shift we would then walk along Summer Lane turn into Farm Street then Lennox Street, she also worked at All Saints mental hospital in Winson green.

Thanks Sylvia - It looks as if the term was misapplied then as - touch wood - the old ticker is still fine. My Mom was told to leave me outside in the pram all weathers to toughen me up - but do wonder if it was because they thought I would expire faster - beat them if that was the case :)

hi all
im going through my family tree and ive found that my dad was born in love day street no 28 in 1932
was wondering if its the same loveday street as this thread
celia

Sounds like it to me , Celia.
Can the experts tell me is Loveday Street classed as Central Birmingham or is there a District name for it geographically..?

From https://www.bwhct.nhs.uk/index/about-history.htm it looks as if they see it as Central Birmingham but the experts may be able to confirm.
The 1900s

In 1907 Loveday Street Maternity Hospital was opened in the city centre, followed by Sorrento Maternity Hospital on Wake Green Road in 1929, further enriching the healthcare available to women. Both these hospitals gave first class services to women, until their respective closures in 1968 and 1993, transferring entirely to the Birmingham Maternity Hospital.

Hello. My mther had my brother in Loveday Street [1925] when she was 20 years . The nurse who was with her said "she is a baby having a baby". He is still going strong at 84. Miriam.

Phil should have a view on this-him being Loveday Street-born...a 'true Brummie' might have to have been born within a few hundred metres of the Centre...rather like a true Cockney having had to have been born within the sound of Bow Bells...

No doubt about it, the Loveday Street Maternity Hospital has a special place in so many Brummies hearts and is an ever popular topic on our forum. Both of my brothers were born there.

You're slightly different from me-Judy -I guess I'm just a Brummie..having been born in Sparkhill...just musing -no hidden nuances here, I assure you.

Back