• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Crescent Wharf

Heartland

master brummie
The Birmingham Canal Navigations established canal carriers wharves alongside the Newhall Branch of their waterway in Birmingham. They started near junction with the Birmingham & Fazeley Canal and where until the 1840's Farmer's Bridge crossed the canal. They extended along the Newhall Branch on the offside to the towpath as far as the junction with the private Gibsons Arm. Whilst all traces of these warehouses were removed in the late 1960's, save a couple of cranes, left as a feature, the cobbled path down from Kingston Row remains. It is a rare survivor from the 1790's when these wharves were first established.Crescent1.jpg

The post was, of course, in relation to the cobbles found at the top of Pinfold Street. However this location has become the subject of another issue now. It appears predatory developers have designs on this location for the mega expensive modern back to backs and high rise towers of babel. The Flappers lease has been extended to 2019, but if the development goes ahead, then this area will become private access for residents

Thanks for the update Heartland. Another to keep an eye on before it disappears. Does anyone have a full view please so we can see it in context ? Thanks. Viv.

This is something like it looked originally, even though it's hard to believe this photo only dates to 1958. The other thing I thought I should mention is that I have an idea that Kingston Row originally led down to Cambrian Wharf that was next to the Crescent Wharf.
City Cambridge St Falk's Warehouses off Cambridge St 1958 (Flapper & Firkin).JPG

The 1889 map is a bit vague but almost seems to imply than Cambrian wharf was part of Crescent wharf. Tthe cobbled area is shown in red.
map c 1889 showing Kingston row.jpg

phil thats a great photo...just something about it i like..thanks for the map mike

lyn

210350.jpg The term Cambrian Wharf was a later name for the Kingston Row end part of the wharf, probably the name was derived from a period when the Shropshire Union occupied part of the premises here. Piggot Smiths map of 1825 refers to the whole length as Crescent Wharves. A long term occupant of the premises nearest to Kingston Row was the carrier Crowley & Co. Several of their premises were taken over by the Shropshire Union Railway & Canal Carrying Company. Most notable was their repair dock near Horseleyfields Wolverhampton that was on the Wyrley & Essington Canal.

The SURCCC were important carriers by water until their parent company, the London & North Western Railway decided to break up the concern. The boat operation in the Midlands passed to direct railway control for the railway interchange trade and surviving boats became LMS "station boats".

The Wharves at the Crescent fell to different occupiers. There was a time that Cambrian Wharf was used by Showells for their beer trade from the Langley (Crosswells) Brewery.

Last edited:
Mikejees old 1889 map from my take on the Women's Hospital beginnings, showing the first ever Women's Hospital of Lawson Tait in the Crescent.....The Crescent Map 1889 copy.jpg ...

Mikejees old 1889 map from my take on the Women's Hospital beginnings, showing the first ever Women's Hospital of Lawson Tait in the Crescent.....View attachment 126264 ...

quite right dennis he did practice from the crescent...i have studied lawson tait not just because he was a great man but he also lived in my neck o the woods before he moved to the crescent.. in fact the house is still standing top of burbury st link below to show his house its the one with the two white pillars...should be a thread for him on here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5...4!1sbWdkbGAqIQ0u4Shqt9rrZw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

lyn

Last edited:
Thomas Sherratt was an early carrier on the waterways and was at the Crescent by 8/1793 . His business was taken over by William Judd and in 1814, Judd's Wharf at the Crescent passed to George Ryder Bird. Canal traders moved wharves from time to time. It is quite a complex study.

Hi I have just seen on a baptism certificate my great grandmother lived in Kingston Wharf in 1889. Do you know if there was a Burbridge Street there?
Just had another look at the certificate and I think it is Cambridge St. Does anyone know if that is Kingston Wharf please?

Back