• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sweets We Used To Have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Along similar medicinal lines, I was given a Victory V the other day. I had a cough and at first I hesitated remembering how they tasted. But the cough wouldn't stop so I had the VV as a last resort. I was pleasantly surprised. Not the ' 'blow your head off' lozenges I remember at all. Think they must have toned them down. Viv.

Quite a few years ago all these products had to change their recipe as chloroform had to be removed as an ingredient

i loved the victory V rosie....prob mentioned already but dont forget the love hearts which are still going strong

lyn

Lyn I tried Victory V about 5 or 6 yrs ago they aren't the same as what was going around when we were kids they're are not as strong
as they were , likewise Fishermans Friend . they've took an ingredient out, just to cater for the wimps

I seem to start a lot of sentences with 'I can't remember' but in this case it's right - in my mind I can see multi-coloured Rice Krispie type things. They came in a small bag but I'm not sure if they were in my time or my daughter's (1970's). They were very sweet and harder than rice krispies. Any idea what they were called?

I seem to start a lot of sentences with 'I can't remember' but in this case it's right - in my mind I can see multi-coloured Rice Krispie type things. They came in a small bag but I'm not sure if they were in my time or my daughter's (1970's). They were very sweet and harder than rice krispies. Any idea what they were called?

Lady P, I seem to recall those coloured Rice Krispie things from the early 60s. I can't remember the name. "Rainbow" something might have a connection, but it's vague. I do remember they weren't very filling and were soon scoffed!

Regards, Ray T.

My memories of the sweets of yesterdays are from mr whetton,s the sweet shop on lichfield road
and i could get two black jacks for the farthng and a penny bottle of so called ice cream soda pop with a stone type bottle stopper a penny gob stopper and secondly from the sweet shop in upper thomas street oppersite the upper thomas street school every day after lunch befor back to school she used to sell chocolate potatoes they was on a tray they was 1d each i would buy two and i was taken in by that they had a little note inside which says you have won a prize you either won nother free spud or a pick off another trayworth slightly more i was a sucker for them
more often than not it was a dammed sherbutt with a sticky lolly in the tube best wishes Alan, Astonian;;;

Yes, I remember them too, they are called Rainbow Drops, so Ray was well on the way :)

Sorry, I tried to quote Ray too but for some reason it won't show in the post.

4RA5A.jpeg

Well Done chaps - those are they! I think they were a lot brighter years ago, or am I imagining it? Swizzles have a lot to answer for don't they?

Does anyone remember Fillery's toffee. My Auntie Alice used to work there at the factory in Greet and whenever we visited her she would bring out bags and bags of mis-shapes. Chocolate covered toffees were my favourite. Also had another Auntie Alice who, when I was in my teens worked at Cadburys. Another source of chocolate heaven.

Thanks for the link Lady P. My mom also worked there before I was born and I recall her telling me about an explosion at the next door fireworks factory, Wilders, and they evacuated the whole site for fear of further explosions.

As kids we would often use substitutes if sweets weren't available i.e. no money and no pop or beer bottles could be found to return for the deposits.

Condensed milk sandwiches - there was always an opened tin on Nan's table - two puncture holes in the top and yellowy threads of crystallized dried milk running down the side.
Syrup sandwiches - though we always wrongly referred to this as 'treacle'
A substitute for Nesquick, which my Mom always refused to buy as it was a non essential, was a table spoon of Birds custard powder in milk with a couple of spoons of sugar.
A substitute for pop - another non essential - was a couple of spoonfuls of Dad's Andrews liver salts in a glass of water with the inevitable consequences. Really fizzy and refreshing though we never realised it was a laxative!

upload_2018-4-6_13-41-49.png

My memories of the sweets of yesterdays are from mr whetton,s the sweet shop on lichfield road
and i could get two black jacks for the farthng and a penny bottle of so called ice cream soda pop with a stone type bottle stopper a penny gob stopper and secondly from the sweet shop in upper thomas street oppersite the upper thomas street school every day after lunch befor back to school she used to sell chocolate potatoes they was on a tray they was 1d each i would buy two and i was taken in by that they had a little note inside which says you have won a prize you either won nother free spud or a pick off another trayworth slightly more i was a sucker for them
more often than not it was a dammed sherbutt with a sticky lolly in the tube best wishes Alan, Astonian;;;

Two blackjacks for a farthing? I only got four for a penny. I was being robbed!

mbenne, I still use a teaspoon of custard powder in a little milk to brush the top of pastry instead of using a whole egg. We had condensed milk on our porridge which we called 'iggledy-piggledy' and golden syrup in steamed puddings. Oh - I could just eat one of those now! Andrews was reserved for it's proper purpose....

A little milk Viv, not water, I'm sure that's what you meant. Not sure water would work. Oh how I love custard. Hot, cold or the bit left in the saucepan after Mom had dished up on a Sunday lunchtime.

mbenne, Just happened on the US ebay site and it had loads of Fillery's toffee tins. Must be very collectible over there.
Were Fillery's toffees like a little roll of toffee rather than a cube does anyone know?

Obsessed with toffees this afternoon. What were the ones that were in different coloured wrappers and had various flavours?

Fillery's toffees came as individually wrapped toffees in all sorts of different flavours and also came as slab toffee broken up by a little hammer. My favourites though were caramel toffees that were covered in milk chocolate.................mmmmm.
mbenne, Just happened on the US ebay site and it had loads of Fillery's toffee tins. Must be very collectible over there.
Were Fillery's toffees like a little roll of toffee rather than a cube does anyone know?

Blue Bird did them too. For some reason I remember the blue wrapped one very well. Think it was liquorice. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 12
Viv, when you looked on e-bay and saw all those fillery's tins did you also look at google images? The reason I ask is after reading your thread I looked at images on google and came across a picture of a restored Morris Minor van with signwriting advertising Fillery's toffee coupled with Palm toffee. Whilst Palm toffee was also one of my favourites, as far as I know Palm toffee had no connection at all with Fillery's. The image can be viewed at https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=...1j0i5i30k1.0.6b00HEMk9P4#imgrc=BiUUvSADZztUoM:

As kids we would often use substitutes if sweets weren't available i.e. no money and no pop or beer bottles could be found to return for the deposits.

Condensed milk sandwiches - there was always an opened tin on Nan's table - two puncture holes in the top and yellowy threads of crystallized dried milk running down the side.
Syrup sandwiches - though we always wrongly referred to this as 'treacle'
A substitute for Nesquick, which my Mom always refused to buy as it was a non essential, was a table spoon of Birds custard powder in milk with a couple of spoons of sugar.
A substitute for pop - another non essential - was a couple of spoonfuls of Dad's Andrews liver salts in a glass of water with the inevitable consequences. Really fizzy and refreshing though we never realised it was a laxative!

View attachment 124382
l remember when we were evacuated in the war
my brother and l...we lived in a farm house miles from anywhere .we had to walk over fields just to get the horse and cart to take us to school,,,well one day it was hot and l was giving my nan a hard time l wanted some pop...so we pumped some water from the well and "Walla" l had instant pop after nan put some liver salts in it..thought she was magic...never knew what it was for...my nan was a firm believer to have some opening medicine if we got sick it was a dose of syrup of figs Brenda

Viv, that blue one took me back - like a blast from the past. It was the one I always avoided! Don't like anything with liquorice and used to 'eat my way round it' when we had Bassetts Allsorts. Liked the coconut ones as they had more no-liquorice!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back