• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harold George Davis

mrbluesky1957

master brummie
Hi not been on here a while, moving etc. Had alot of help before of some kind people. Decided to do some more research. My grandfather Harold Davis born 1900 in Kyrwicks Lane, Aston.
He died on 31st December 1929. At Minworth, near Birmingham. His address at the time was Charlotte Street, Dudley. Would he have likely been buried, not sure where. Also how do I research newspapers for that date. Would my best bet be The Birmingham Post? His 2 daughters where born at this address 1926 & 1929. My father was born in Balsall Heath Road in 1924. Obviously he died on new years eve. Any help would be appreciated, thank you, Keith.

There are newspapers online at findmypast and there is an article on there about the accident which Harold Davis (spelt Davies) died in the Birmingham Daily Gazette (dated 1-1-30). Can't see all of it as I don't have a subscription.

Someone else might paste it for you but if not it should be available at the Library of Birmingham.

Could be other articles in more local (Dudley) papers maybe.

There is an article in both The Scotsman and Western Daily Press but they appear to be identical and probably the same as the Daily Gazette.

Finding burials can be tricky but looking at the map Dudley cemetery appears to be about 200 metres from Charlotte St, so might be the place to start.

Last edited:
Many thanks for that info. Died in an accident then on new years eve. Will try a start on Dudley Cem tomorrow. The mind wonders why he was in Minworth. Hope someone has the full newspaper article. Thank you.

oh keith what an awful accident as the photograph shows and the report is very graphic......i am only guessing that the photograph shows your dad with your grandad.. at least you now know why he was in minworth..if you click on the report once it will slightly enlarge and will you let us know if you find out where he is buried/cremated ...thanks mike for finding the article and posting it

lyn

Last edited:
There was also an inquest
8f2af63f-ebea-4585-8f8c-9ef36dca0498

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-16_11-46-23.png
    upload_2018-1-16_11-46-23.png
    163.1 KB · Views: 16
Thank you so much Mike. I new he was involved in an accident which was horrific. Got closure now and alot of things add up. Also a photo of my late dad and grandad. RIP. Thank you for taking the time, really grateful, Keith.

oh keith what an awful accident as the photograph shows and the report is very graphic......i am only guessing that the photograph shows your dad with your grandad.. at least you now know why he was in minworth..if you click on the report once it will slightly enlarge and will you let us know if you find out where he is buried/cremated ...thanks mike for finding the article and posting it

lyn

Hi Lyn, youve helped me alot in the past, thank you. I didnt expect this, but im glad that I have it. Upset me a fair bit, but explained alot of the past. How my dad was then bought up by his mom and nan in Arthur Street. I will now try and find where my grandfather was buried or cremated. Maybe my dad never knew, will never know. Dad died in 1975, he was manager of shops in Brum. Probably heard of them Zissman Bros. Many thanks Lynn, glad I came back to a great site and great people. Grateful, Keith.

It is strange that even with sad news it gives a closure and you can stop wondering what did happen.

hi keith to be honest it upset me a bit too but now at least you have the whole package...newspaper report...inquest and probate details and you also know that this accident was no fault of your grandads....i always say to people when we start tracing our family history we must be prepared to take the rough with the smooth and the sad with the happy things we uncover...i just find it all fascinating...

i would think he must have been laid to rest near to where he lived so good luck with finding out where and yes will you please let us know how you get on

all the best

lyn

Last edited:
hi keith to be honest it upset a bit too but now at least you have the whole package...newspaper report...inquest and probate details and you also know that this accident was no fault of your grandads....i always say to people when we start tracing our family history we must be prepared to take the rough with the smooth and the sad with the happy things we uncover...i just find it all fascinating...

i would think he must have been laid to rest near to where he lived so good luck with finding out where and yes will you please let us know how you get on

all the best

lyn
hi keith to be honest it upset a bit too but now at least you have the whole package...newspaper report...inquest and probate details and you also know that this accident was no fault of your grandads....i always say to people when we start tracing our family history we must be prepared to take the rough with the smooth and the sad with the happy things we uncover...i just find it all fascinating...

all the best

lyn

Thank you Lyn and all as usual for the help. Ireally dont know why I hadnt looked into my grandads death. Have gone back along way, then I thought log into this great site. Not thought about newspapers, and wow yes I have the package. Even a pic of my grandfather and my dad. Yeep will start at Dudley and if no luck keep trying. Somehow being a Brummie I wonder if he was laid to rest in Dudley. I also find it fascinating, must have at least 30 certificates, but worth every penny. Nice to hear from you Lyn after Ive had a break. I only started off researching when an old school teacher got in touch and helped me and got me hooked. So lucky to have people like yourself and others who are more advanced than me help with info. Will keep in touch and hopefully find my grandad. I dont think you ever finish researching. Kindest regards, Keith. P.S. Please pass on my thanks to the other folk who haved really helped.

no need for thanks keith...this is the best birmingham history forum on the net (well i would say that lol) i have been researching my lot for 10 years and still have not finished...some members longer than that..as said before my gut feeling is that after his accident your grandad would have been taken back to where he lived in dudley but that is not certain of course..you could also find out and note down all the churches around where he lived in 1929 and then go to the main library in dudley armed with your list of churches....they will help you go through the burial records of all the churches you have written down.you know when he died so search the burials for about a month after that date...just an idea and it can be time consuming but could reap rewards

lyn

Last edited:
keith ignore my last suggestion re church burials...libraries dont hold them...its marriages they have...silly me:rolleyes:

lyn

no need for thanks keith...this is the best birmingham history forum on the net (well i would say that lol) i have been researching my lot for 10 years and still have not finished...some members longer than
no need for thanks keith...this is the best birmingham history forum on the net (well i would say that lol) i have been researching my lot for 10 years and still have not finished...some members longer than that..as said before my gut feeling is that after his accident your grandad would have been taken back to where he lived in dudley but that is not certain of course..you could also find out and note down all the churches around where he lived in 1929 and then go to the main library in dudley armed with your list of churches....they will help you go through the burial records of all the churches you have written down.you know when he died so search the burials for about a month after that date...just an idea and it can be time consuming but could reap rewards

lyn

Thanks Lyn, tried Dudley Cem but nothing. Will look on the map, apparently he was only 200m from there. My auntie would have been approx 7 months old when he died. She has passed away, I know my nan and rest of family must have moved to Arthur Street sometime afterwards. Maybe for work, she did work at BSA, along with her mom. I was told it was bombed and she survived digging her way out. My dad mentioned Muntz St school when I was young. So as you say more research. Knowing dad was from Arthur St is great as I love The Peaky Blinders. Three lines down in Carl Chinns book, Arthur St is named. Thanks again, and this is the only site.

that..as said before my gut feeling is that after his accident your grandad would have been taken back to where he lived in dudley but that is not certain of course..you could also find out and note down all the churches around where he lived in 1929 and then go to the main library in dudley armed with your list of churches....they will help you go through the burial records of all the churches you have written down.you know when he died so search the burials for about a month after that date...just an idea and it can be time consuming but could reap rewards

lyn

lyn

lyn

It is different for so many authorities so I am not surprised you weren't sure. Solihull records are in Warwick for instance.

thanks janice so therule of thumb is to always check with the library to see if they do hold burial records...

It is different for so many authorities so I am not surprised you weren't sure. Solihull records are in Warwick for instance.

Thanks Janice, have got your message. Have found what you suggested, alot is in fiche or microfiche. Not sure if or how to access this? Maybe a call to Dudley Library to see if they will help. Thanks again for your help, regards, Keith.

thanks janice so therule of thumb is to always check with the library to see if they do hold burial records...
Thanks Lyn, have got Janices message. Alot in fiche and microfiche, dont really know how to access that info. Will call Dudley library 2morrow see if they can help. Keith.

keith should your library hold burial records i am sure they will be happy to assist you using fiche...im not very good at that either....good luck with your hunt:)

lyn

Keith - it just means that the records are on microfilm so you need to use a viewer but I have always found library staff more than willing to load films and help you access them. In a lot of cases you can print out the record you want, it also helps if you know dates. It is time consuming if you have to search several churches. Good luck.

Keith - it just means that the records are on microfilm so you need to use a viewer but I have always found library staff more than willing to load films and help you access them. In a lot of cases you can print out the record you want, it also helps if you know dates. It is time consuming if you have to search several churches. Good luck.

Thanks Janice once again, never used them. You put me right again, thanks, Keith.
Not sure if I have to go to Dudley library Janice. Im in Derbyshire now, anyway will sort it. Never thought id get the answers ive wanted. Great site and smashing people. Still trying to get my head around calling people me duck. Thank you.

OK -your profile said Walsall. You would need to go in unless they offer a search service. Individual churches will sometimes look at their own records.

Back