• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ghost signs of Birmingham

Yes Alan. There's 'TIPS' running top to bottom underneath. Could be PG or Typhoo, both used 'TIPS' in their product names. But think I can see PG too.

Another nice find Ell, thanks. And another addition to the Twinings signs believed to still be around Brum. Viv.

On Tuesday I went to a meeting at the GuntTakers Arms (well actually in the brewery behind,, as the pub is being very heavily, renovated) on Ghost Signs, given by Tracey Thorne. In it she mentioned the sign referred to by Ellbrown, one of a number similar by Twinings around the city. Twinings took over the firm of Barbers, who apparently had a brand called Orange Tips, which is the lettering you can just see. Tracey has a particular affection for the female figure, "Little Miss Barber", which is often shown on them. there are also some for Lyons Tea, and Lilliput Magazine, originally for discerning ladies, though later for "gentlemen(?)".
Tracey first explained her interest, in that she was attracted to these signs, originally done in lead paint, which partly explains their retention, and then discovered that even when present and an added feature of a listed buildingm, there is not protection for the sign itself. She is putting together a report on this, which she hopes might influence this. She has found about 180 around the city so far, of which (I think but do not seem to written down) about 40 are on listed buildings,
Although signs often remain on wood and metal, and in fact the earliest signs advertising a shop usually were, Tracey is mainly (at present) concerned with those on brick. Many have disappeared, including a very good on advertising the Soho foundry, though on that site there still remains one saying "James Watt & Co", though this is not easily visible to those who stick to the normal highways. The actual signwriter who did the original skilled work is unfortunately always unknown, though signwriters advertised in directories and their trade cards can be found. Often the owner of the shop that put them there is not clear. In some cases the sign has been repainted, with varying degrees of skill, and in one case a Twinings sign has the name Twinings repainted and the lower half painted over completely. The oldest she has found is originally from 1840 on Constitution Hill for a Varnish Manufacturer though these very old ones are often difficult to detect. some of the most prolific were cigarette & tobacco adverts, Capstan Full Strength and Gold Flake for example and chemists had signs on their walls, while Lucas batteries has only one remaining sign, in what was Park Garage, but is now Presso's, where it has been preserved, though with a cigarette butt poked in a hole in it, this being sfter persuasion from Tracey. More recently some firms have "painted" new signs on brick to advertise their product, examples being at Regency Wharf, and a series of adverts for Jack Daniels, but these are usually stencilled on the wall with no great skill.
Tracey showed slides of many ghost signs in her talk, some of which have featured on this thread, including Taylor & Challen. This included some requiring the talking skills of Lyn to access, like that advertising "Body Repairs", which, perhaps inappropriately, is on the wall inside what is now a boxing gym.
Tracey does report on her finds, but unfortunately on the , to me, rather impermanant and mysterious Twitter & Tumblre.
It was a very interesting evening, and nice beer, though one customer did cause breath tonbe drawn when she asked for a lager !

Another nice find Ell, thanks. And another addition to the Twinings signs believed to still be around Brum. Viv.

I always notice it when on the no 1 bus. This time being at the front of the top deck, zoomed in as the bus started to move after leaving a bus stop.

The other ones I know of are in Kings Heath and Sparkhill.

Yes Alan. There's 'TIPS' running top to bottom underneath. Could be PG or Typhoo, both used 'TIPS' in their product names. But think I can see PG too.

There is another photo of this sign in #489

Thanks Janice. Loosing track of which Twinings signs we've already identified ! Good to see its still holding up against the elements. According to the meeting Mike went to re. #691 he was told it says 'orange' underneath. Hard to see that, probably can only be detected at a certain angle.

Viv.

Yes Tracey the presenter at the meeting that Mike went to was the leader on the guided walk that I went on looking at ghost signs in the Jewellery Quarter last year. Many of my photos I have posted on this thread.

Modern example of a "ghost sign" on Granville Street (near Broad Street) for the Irish pub O'Neill's.

Don't think the last is any different than a plain modern name board. Scarcely worth recording. It is certainly not a ghost sign

Fair point Mike. This one is really an imitation old-style business sign. So not strictly 'ghost' - although give it time. I've seen a few of these old-style (almost or fake ghost) signs around (not in Birmingham). They seem to be back in fashion with some businesses. I've also seen touched up old signs which are very poorly done.

Viv.

Some very nice features - and well maintained - on the Antelope pub, corner Stratford Road and Baker Street. Viv.

image.jpeg

The Mermaid at the Stratford Road/Warwick Road junction. The two smaller signs still read " The Mermaid" but not too sure about the larger sign. That may be a later sign/ different name. Pity they didn't keep the mermaid sculpted sign. Maybe someone rescued or stole it. Viv.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That was The President. Around 5 to 7 years ago there was at least two fires here that gutted The President restaurant. The roof was repaired and windows covered over. But the building is still vacant. They even tried to set up a new President restaurant in Digbeth (that got replaced by Mylahore British Asian Restaurant).

I don't think the Bloye sculpture was stolen. Maybe it was taken down and gone into storage after the fires (I'm not sure if the fires destroyed it or not).

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/ne...vestigate-fire-at-president-restaurant-116061

Thanks Ell an interesting piece in the myroute link. Agree with the author, there's a lot to be discovered along Stratford Road. There are so many earlier buildings. The 'Fine Furs' sign is a good one, you'd hardly notice it tucked away like that. And with furs being very much a thing of the past. today. An good indicator of a former well-to-do area.

Hope the sculpture was saved, but like so many of these things, it's unlikely especially if there's been a couple of fires there. Thanks for the update. Viv.

If you look on Street Maps View, you would see that the roof had been rebuilt, but the brick structure that held up the Mermaid sculpture had disappeared between 2010 and 2012.

Nice one Jim, thought it was P/O that I used I the old days, wasn't but getting close. Guess most were on corners and looked alike!
Cheers Tim

Need to keep an eye on that plaque then Lyn. Fortunately it wouldn't be very easy to remove, but that doesn't rule out the possibility that it might suddenly vanish. Viv.

Last edited:
Thanks Horsencart. Two interesting signs. Hopefully the 136a sign can be fully identified, but the Carrs Lane one might be more difficult. It seems that the adjoining wall is a later addition covering over the full name. Viv.

I take it that this is a photo you have taken, so could not refer to Digbeth, Walsall? Have not managed to find anything that fits.

Thanks Ell. Nice record of something that's almost disappeared.

Re the Digbeth sign. # 135 - 136 Digbeth is a Grade A listed building. I think this is the old cold storage building. So presume 136a would be next to this building (or connected with it), unless numbering changed since the sign was written. Alternatively I wonder if it was part of the G.Makepeace building ? Or somewhere behind it ? Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 11
Back