• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : Birmingham Papers (usually BhamPost) 150 Years Ago 1867-

The Thimblemill near Bearwood, I assume was named because thimbles were made there. However there is no reason why other metal products could not have been made there.

This satellite view shows that the Mill Pool is still there amongst the trees. I am not sure where the mill was actually sited. Thimblemill Library is wrongly marked. It is in fact the building with the rounded end on the other side of the road. The area where the pub that Rosie mentioned looks just to be cleared land on this picture just above the library label. All the council owned buildings in this area are all Art Deco, the library, the swimming baths, the blocks of flats as they were all build soon after this area was transferred to Smethwick in the late 1920s. Thimblemill.jpg

The Rev Grantham Yorke was a major benefactor to education in Birmingham. The Tennal School in Harborne which became an approved school was previously owned by the Grantham Yorke Trust before it was sold to Birmingham City Council. The school premises subsequently became the Martineau Education Centre and its recent history having been sold for housing is still contentious in the area.

Yes it appears that the good Reverend was a major benefactor to Education of the poor in Birmingham, albeit with a bias to the Establish Church. He deserves a post of his own in the "Famous People" thread!

This link is interesting, it mentions Thimble Mill being used in the 1830's for file-making.
There's a few snippets about Birmingham too.
rosie.

Brief History of Bearwood Part 1
Thanks Rosie for that post. I though that the History of Bearwood was very badly written and it mixes up many subjects. I then looked at the website address and saw that it was the Quinton Local History Society. I make no further comment.

Coleshill must have been a place to go to for a day out then. Not sure what is meant by "Gypsy parties"
Refreshment rooms open at Sutton station. Must be a long time since you could get a steak there, or indeed at any such similar stationbus to coleshill on sundays.jpg refreshment room at sutton coldfield station.jpg

It's a long time since Sutton Coldfield was a holiday destination too, Mike. I'm trying to think where these refreshment rooms were. I wonder if they were the ones demolished when the train crashed into the station? Would they have been on the up line or the down line do you think?

It's a long time since Sutton Coldfield was a holiday destination too, Mike. I'm trying to think where these refreshment rooms were. I wonder if they were the ones demolished when the train crashed into the station? Would they have been on the up line or the down line do you think?

Have put some pictures of the crash from the Illustrated London News on the Sutton Park thread.

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/sutton-park.3816/page-68#post-590143

I presume the Queens Hospital was in Bath Row as the old Acci was previously named Queens Hospital. Some distance from St Martins.

This could perhaps be considered as one of the first pet shops, for the elite of course.

pet shop for the elite.jpg

'Pro Bono Publico' means for the good of the public and nowadays means free of charge. But this is advertised for the Nobility and Gentry to buy. A curious meaning of Pro Bono.

Connection of Kemble family to Birmingham.
Killing rats as an entertainment in pubs.
File making at thimble mill, Smethwick.
Progress on the railway to Redditch.
connection of kemble family to birmingham.jpg files at thimble mill smethwick.jpg progress on redditch railway.jpg rat killing in a pub for entertainment.jpg

Johnson..."We (Lichfield) are a city of philosophers: we work with our heads, and make the boobies of Birmingham work for us with their hands."

Ringing in of mechanics. Supposedly the practice in the trade if one of them got married.
Fire in Edgbaston St.

fire in edgebaston st.jpg Ringing in of a mechanic.jpg

Attachments

• correction on fire in edgbaston st.jpg
    correction on fire in edgbaston st.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The Parkesine company advertising its product, the firm based in London. However the product, often described as the "first plastic", and the precursor to celluloid, was invented and first produced in Birmingham in in 1855 by Alexander Parkes. He formed the company in 1855, but it went bust in 1868 and the product was developed and popularised by another. However in legal arguements, he was accepted as the original inventor of the process.

parkesine advert.jpg

Finally it looks like efforts to have a Birmingham corporation fire brigade will come to pass.
Somewhat peculiar to us that the courts should think it necessary to debate whether a minor can be a pub licensee

efforts to get corporation fire brigade.jpg minors and public house licence.jpg

Although the age of majority has been reduced from 21 to 18 there is a problem with minors owning any business as they have restrictions on their ability to enter into any contractual liability.

Accident at methodist church meeting in Wednesbury addressed by Mr Murphy, whose views were controversial and do not agree with catholics
Volunteer in pub shoots blank at someone and his punishment is removal from the battalion, nothing else !

accident at meeting to be addressed by Mr Murphy at wednesbury.jpg fired off blank at soemone and was expelled.jpg

New Street in Birmingham planned, which must be St Clements Road/
File making in Birmingham.

file making in birmingham.jpg new road. st Clements Road.jpg

Council receives communication from insurance companies aiming towards a city fire brigade.
Council learns that city coat of arms is incorrect.

council reports incorrect coat of arms for city (2).jpg council reports incorrect coat of arms for city (1).jpg

Back