• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

HAYNES family.

B

Brummie in exile

Does anyone remember or have information about the following families…

HAYNES

MASON

PRINCE

The Haynes family seemed to like the name ‘George’, because my father, his father and his grandfather were all given this name! To help distinguish each generation I’ve given them a different colour

My dad was George Haynes, born 1923. He worked at Tucker Fasteners on the Walsall Road and he was a long-time member of Icknield Male Voice Choir. Dad was brought up in Dovedale Road, Perry Common. .

Dad’s parents were George Haynes (1900 – c1960) and Catherine Isabella Prince (Kate) 1902 - c1965).

George was brought up at No 3 house, back of 124 William Street. Aston Manor.

Kate was brought up at 4 William Henry Street. Aston.
Her father was William Prince and her mother was Catherine Shaw.

George and Kate lived in Dovedale Road, Perry Common. They had four children.

George – born 1923 (my dad)

Alice born c1925. Married Bill Hewitt

David – born c1928. Married Irene Lillis

Rosene – born c.1930. Married Frank ……..?

George Haynes’ parents were

George Haynes (born c1879, Aston) and Mary Ellen Mason (Nell) (born c1880, Aston)

In the 1881 Census Nell’s family were living at 10 Porchester street, Lozells, Aston Manor. By1891 they had moved to 88 Porchester Street, Lozells, Aston Manor.
Nell’s father was James Mason and her mother was Amelia Phillips

George’s father was William Haynes and his mother was Sarah (surname unknown)

William Haynes and his wife Sarah originated from Northamptonshire.

I would be thrilled to hear from anyone who has information about my relatives.

Lesley.

Maybe unrelated but there was a Ted Haynes green grocery shop at the corner of Alum Rock and Wright Road 1940s-1970s or so.

Ted Haynes...

Hi Rupert,

I've just discovered that my great grandparents had triplets! Their names were Maud, Mary and Ted Haynes, so it's possible that the Ted Haynes that you mentioned could have been one of the triplets. Do you know any more about him? All I know is that Maud has definitely passed away, but Mary is still alive!

Lesley

Hi, Lesley. Sorry thats all I know. However I think he had more than one outlet. I worked at a green grocers on Washwoodheath road as a youth and I think that was also Ted Haynes. It was just on Saturdays for pocket money for a short time. This shop was past Ward End Park and towards the Fox And Goose.

Last edited:
Ted haynes had about 6 greengrocers shops in the East Birmingham area, there was also a H E Haynes who had about 30 butchers shops all over Birmingham.
Hope this is of some help to you.

Ted Haynes...

Thanks for all the info, what a knowledgeable lot you are!

None of it strikes a cord at the moment, but I will chat to my Uncle and see if he remembers anything more.

Thanks again

Lesley

Ted Haynes greengrocers was also situated on the corner of Kingstanding Road and Dyas Road, Kingstanding for many years around the 40s and 50s. E.

I have spoken to a chap today who worked for Ted Haynes. He said if his memory served him right Ted and wife Florence (Flo) had three children. Flo, Norman and another son they lived in a large house on the Chester Road. This would have been in the early 50's. His children all worked in the shops. Thats all the relevant information he could remember.

Hi cousin!

Thanks for all the info, what a knowledgeable lot you are!

None of it strikes a cord at the moment, but I will chat to my Uncle and see if he remembers anything more.

Thanks again

Lesley

Hi Lesley

I hope you are still a vistor to this forum? This is my first post here and it's all due to my 78 year old father.

Yesterday he entered a search string into a search engine, and up popped one of your posts containing names he recognised!

It appears that my father and your father had the same Grandfather Thomas George Haynes(b1897) who married Mary Ellen Mason.

In another post your refer to the triplets, infact there were quite a lot of other offspring as well. I am sorry there are no dates but its been a couple of hectic days just finding out who was who and most have passed on.

The full list of offspring were (verified with Mary, one of the triplets) and maybe in the correct order....(lol ...there are so many!)

George.......your granddad
Herbert
William (Bill)
Charles......my grandad
Arthur (Tiny)
Horace
Minny
Alice
Then the triplets,

Edward (Teddy)
Maud
Mary

According to Mary, Maud died at 6 mths, which i think you already knew?

My parents (Joyce and Gordon) both remember Kate (Catherine) and George. My Father Gordon, lived in Greenwood Place ( His fathers house....Charles) and my mother in Dulwich Grove, before getting married at the Church in Dulwich road which has been knocked down. They also remember David (your uncle) having a 50th birthday which they attended.

My Grandfather went on to have 7 kids, Gordon, Charles, Shelia, Tony, Robert, Maureen and Peter. Quite a tribe ...... and now there are loads more.

Hope this has answered some of your questions, love to hear from you.

Adrian

Hello Adrian, I looked at Leslies profile and she hasn't been on the forum since last August. I'm sure she would be so pleased see your post, if you send her a PM she will get a note in her email, and hopefully will log on again.:)

Hello Adrian!!!

Hello Adrian,

what a lovely surprise to read your post! We have a lot of information to share. I have traced the Haynes line all the way back to the 1690's! We originally came from Northamptonshire, and some of our ancestors lived and worked in the village of Great Brington, which was part of the Spencer estate (as in Lady Diana Spencer!)

I have sent you my email address, so please do get in touch and let's compare notes.

Lesley

Hi, My name is Carl Haynes & live in Lancashire. My family for several generations lived in Sutton Coldfield and some had businesses in the area. I have a family tree of sorts which goes back to a George Haynes who was born in 1806. When he moved to Sutton, I am informed he had a pub called the 'White Horse'. His son was William John Haynes born in 1842 and he had 6 children - William, Thomas, Robert, Alfred, Annie & Nellie. Robert was my great grandad. His children were Bernard & Kathleen. Kathleen's son was Malcolm, my Father. I don't know if there is a connection, but feel free to get in touch.

Hi There,

I am intrested in the Haynes's as my Gran Minnie was married to Matthew Haynes. Has anyone got any info on Matthew?

Many thanks in advance
Jane

Matthew Haynes was born in 1879, he married Minnie Aston in 1903 at St Margarets church Ward end and died in 1921 age 42. They had 8 children as far as I know being Arthur Nellie Ida Reginald Matthew Ronald Doris and Frank.
His Father was John Haynes and mother Maria nee Price. In 1923 Minnie Married Charles Herbert Hudson and had 3 children Minnie Charles and Dennis.

I really really hope you still come on this site……Mary Ellen mason was my great grandmothers sister, My great grandmother was called Minnie Beatrice Mason. I believe Mary Ellen (aunt nell) had triplets??. I have photographs of James Mason and Amelia Philips. My great grandmother married Jesse Meeson and had 6 children one of them was my granddad William Herbert Meeson. He married my nan Nellie May Pitt and they had 6 children, one of them was my mom Janet Mary Meeson who was born at 88 Porchester St…….I will attach some pics
great great grandfather James Mason.jpgAmelia Mason nee Phillips mother of Minnie Mason.jpgJames Mason brother of Minnie Mason.jpggreat grandmother Minnie Mason.jpgCharles Mason brother or James mason.jpg
Does anyone remember or have information about the following families…

HAYNES

MASON

PRINCE

The Haynes family seemed to like the name ‘George’, because my father, his father and his grandfather were all given this name! To help distinguish each generation I’ve given them a different colour

My dad was George Haynes, born 1923. He worked at Tucker Fasteners on the Walsall Road and he was a long-time member of Icknield Male Voice Choir. Dad was brought up in Dovedale Road, Perry Common. .

Dad’s parents were George Haynes (1900 – c1960) and Catherine Isabella Prince (Kate) 1902 - c1965).

George was brought up at No 3 house, back of 124 William Street. Aston Manor.

Kate was brought up at 4 William Henry Street. Aston.
Her father was William Prince and her mother was Catherine Shaw.

George and Kate lived in Dovedale Road, Perry Common. They had four children.

George – born 1923 (my dad)

Aliceborn c1925. Married Bill Hewitt

David – born c1928. Married Irene Lillis

Rosene – born c.1930. Married Frank ……..?

George Haynes’ parents were

George Haynes (born c1879, Aston) and Mary Ellen Mason (Nell) (born c1880, Aston)

In the 1881 Census Nell’s family were living at 10 Porchester street, Lozells, Aston Manor. By1891 they had moved to 88 Porchester Street, Lozells, Aston Manor.
Nell’s father was James Mason and her mother was Amelia Phillips

George’s father was William Haynes and his mother was Sarah (surname unknown)

William Haynes and his wife Sarah originated from Northamptonshire.

I would be thrilled to hear from anyone who has information about my relatives.

Lesley.

Hi cousin!

Hi Lesley

I hope you are still a vistor to this forum? This is my first post here and it's all due to my 78 year old father.

Yesterday he entered a search string into a search engine, and up popped one of your posts containing names he recognised!

It appears that my father and your father had the same Grandfather Thomas George Haynes(b1897) who married Mary Ellen Mason.

In another post your refer to the triplets, infact there were quite a lot of other offspring as well. I am sorry there are no dates but its been a couple of hectic days just finding out who was who and most have passed on.

The full list of offspring were (verified with Mary, one of the triplets) and maybe in the correct order....(lol ...there are so many!)

George.......your granddad
Herbert
William (Bill)
Charles......my grandad
Arthur (Tiny)
Horace
Minny
Alice
Then the triplets,

Edward (Teddy)
Maud
Mary

According to Mary, Maud died at 6 mths, which i think you already knew?

My parents (Joyce and Gordon) both remember Kate (Catherine) and George. My Father Gordon, lived in Greenwood Place ( His fathers house....Charles) and my mother in Dulwich Grove, before getting married at the Church in Dulwich road which has been knocked down. They also remember David (your uncle) having a 50th birthday which they attended.

My Grandfather went on to have 7 kids, Gordon, Charles, Shelia, Tony, Robert, Maureen and Peter. Quite a tribe ...... and now there are loads more.

Hope this has answered some of your questions, love to hear from you.

Adrian
Hi Adrian,
I'm trying to trace the birth parents of my granny Dorothy Dann nee Haynes. Possibly born at Spring Hill 1901. She had a half -sister Elsie. Their Father we believe, was a Charles Haynes a Railway messenger possibly. Her mother died in childbirth (name unknown) and then her father married again. Unfortunately he then died and she was brought up by step-mum (possibly Elizabeth Haynes) and a new stepfather. I am struggling to find a true birthdate for Dorothy and Elsie !! Elsie worked at the Midland Dairy Company on Corporation road in 1930's. She married a Sam and had two children Clive and later Catherine. Dorothy moved away to Sheffield then Norwich. Does this ring any bells? Stevie

If Dorothy married Redvers Dann then it looks like her dob was 16th June 1901.
Thanks for your help in my question. However that's the date on he Birmingham Board of Education leaving certificate dated 23 June 1915 signed by an Elizabeth Haynes. She's added 'adopted' and 'I believe' that Dorothy's DOB is 16/6/01. I've ordered 2 possible birth certificates from the register which are incorrect for that quarter. Just waiting for a further search by the authorities. I myself added Dorothy's date into ancestry.co.uk if that's where you have sourced the 16th June from? :)

There was a very old man by the name of Haynes whom lived in springfield street spring hill ladywood
and there was the butcher named Haynes as well lived on spring hil trading as Haynes the butcher
used to go and fetch a breast of lamb for mother for a 6 d every saturday and collect any spare bones for the dog
Astonian,,,,

Thanks for your help in my question. However that's the date on he Birmingham Board of Education leaving certificate dated 23 June 1915 signed by an Elizabeth Haynes. She's added 'adopted' and 'I believe' that Dorothy's DOB is 16/6/01. I've ordered 2 possible birth certificates from the register which are incorrect for that quarter. Just waiting for a further search by the authorities. I myself added Dorothy's date into ancestry.co.uk if that's where you have sourced the 16th June from? :)

No, I looked for possible deaths on familysearch, then checked for her on the 1939 register. Found a likely candidate with the same dobs given.

Found the family on the 1911 census - Charles, Elizabeth, Dorothy (Dothy), Elsie & Emelia. Charles & Elizabeth list that they were married in 1900, in 1901 however Charles is listed as single.

If one is the Dorothy Haynes registered Bham Sep qtr 1901, she appears the be the daughter of George William Haynes & Fanny Harvey.

Another registered Aston in 1901, appears to be the daughter of Henry Haynes & Martha Bucknall.

There's also a Dorothy Haines registered Aston Sep qtr 1901 but she appears to be the daughter of John William Haines & Emma Packwood.

Who did Elizabeth re-marry after Charles' death?

Last edited:
There was a very old man by the name of Haynes whom lived in springfield street spring hill ladywood
and there was the butcher named Haynes as well lived on spring hil trading as Haynes the butcher
used to go and fetch a breast of lamb for mother for a 6 d every saturday and collect any spare bones for the dog
Astonian,,,,
I will check the 1911 census as I think I spotted an Elsie May Haynes staying with an Albert Haynes I think who was a butcher. She'd started off with a Charles and an Eliza Jane. Thank you :)

No, I looked for possible deaths on familysearch, then checked for her on the 1939 register. Found a likely candidate with the same dobs given.

Found the family on the 1911 census - Charles, Elizabeth, Dorothy (Dothy), Elsie & Emelia. Charles & Elizabeth list that they were married in 1900, in 1901 however Charles is listed as single.

If one is the Dorothy Haynes registered Bham Sep qtr 1901, she appears the be the daughter of George William Haynes & Fanny Harvey.

Another registered Aston in 1901, appears to be the daughter of Henry Haynes & Martha Bucknall.

There's also a Dorothy Haines registered Aston Sep qtr 1901 but she appears to be the daughter of John William Haines & Emma Packwood.

Ooh the 1911 census family sounds likely given the Dorothy and Elsie. Also with Charles suddenly being single. What address were they at please can I get straight to the correct family you've quoted by the same method as I'm on ancestry but new to genealogy really. :)

I'm sorry, I don't have a subscription so can't see the address but they are in the Aston district. On Ancestry they seem to be listed as Maynes. Search for 'Dathy Maynes'. On findmypast search for Dothy Haynes.

Thanks to all of you helping-Alberta I can read your reply on my email but not on here for some reason but thank you. I can't believe you've all managed to find a likely family unit when I've been searching for a month or two now trying all sorts of hints. I might get somewhere now. I'm still hoping to find the birth mother and I've not heard of an Emelia so maybe she died young.

Sadly it appears that Amelia dies in 1913. There is a registration for an Amelia, Aston Jun qtr 1910. Mother's maiden name is listed as Sealey and she appears to be one of twins - May's death seems to be registered the same quarter.

There is another Haynes/Sealey birth registered - Joseph Frederick, Aston Jun qtr 1908. Possible death registered 1909.

And on Ancestry there is a baptism for a Joseph Frederick Haynes, parents Charles & Elizabeth. This baptism could tell you if it's them - occupation, address.

I don't know who Elizabeth remarried.

Hi exbrummie
Further to your request in searching for the haynes family a member called rupert contacted you
and brought to your attention of a mr ted haynes whom you think may be related
and this was Alum rock road and the corner of wright road
well our mr Ted haynes was notonly a butcher but also a fruit and veg and fish seller there at the corner of wright road and
He also had the butchers shop on Highfield road Alum rock which was just up from is fruit and veg and fish store
i have just gavered this quote from a Hazel hobday and its taken from a carl chinns magerzine dated
march the 30th 1998 so may be after all rupert could have pointed you in the right direction
she used to live in Alum rock way back then in that period
you mentionioned a butchers trade did,nt you may be he was the main man for the other butchers name haynes after all
and another member of the trio keep us posted , and i will persue further if i can ,,
best of luck Astonian,,,,,

Back