• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ghost signs of Birmingham

James Baldwin & Sons Limited seen on Morville Street in Ladywood. The facade is now part of the Jupiter city centre apartments.

Another beauty. Thanks Ell. I think it's great that more and more of these old buildings are keeping their original signage. A nice tribute if only a nod to the building's history. Viv.

A sign, engraving, carving, poster or the like, referring to a company or activity for which the site is no longer used

Another faded sign on The Station pub in Sutton Coldfield. This one was hidden by vegetation for many years, it's on the side of the pub nearest to the rail way station. I can't read it all, it's an advert for Scotch & Irish whiskies.

Attachments

• IMG_7701.JPG
    IMG_7701.JPG
    835.8 KB · Views: 24
Thanks Paulo. Think the first word "Clan ..... RRY" is a Scottish whisky producer and Ballyboy is the Irish whisky producer. Viv.

I had just got on the 11A in Selly Oak and saw this one near the next bus stop on Oak Tree Lane, Studley Smith - Ladies Tailors.

Seen in Stirchley. Corner of Hazelwell Road and Warren Road. Used to be a cafe. Now converted into a flat to let. If you look on Google Street Map View it's been like this since 2008 or before.

Corner Stores - seen on Court Road in Sparkhill. I saw it from the no 2 bus. This is from Google Street Map View.

court rd corner shop.jpg

What a welcome surprise to find this building on Broad Street shown in the 1906 postcard below is still standing with its "Bank" ghost sign still visible. Viv.

image.jpeg

What a welcome surprise to find this building on Broad Street shown in the 1906 postcard below is still standing with its "Bank" ghost sign still visible. Viv.

There is a date on that building but I have forgotten what it is. When Barclays closed that branch it was turned into a restaurant with the amusing name of "Left Bank". It is now a hamburger restaurant.

It was a take away, now moved to the other side of the road. Left Bank is the tower block / skyscraper construction site behind the ex bank.

Was Big Bite and Bombay Mix.

Thanks Ell, I had not realised that the development of the site on which the former bank stands was called Left Bank. The Left Bank Restaurant to which I referred was in the 1990s.

This is around a month ago - late February 2017.

The land had been clear for about a decade. The Birmingham Progressive Synagogue was on the land until the mid 2000s (they moved to a site on Bishopgate Street).

Next to the synagogue was a Midland Red bus garage. Although no longer used as a bus garage Travel West Midlands kept the building, I believe for stores. London Transport buses on the London Liner service used to layover here when they operated the service jointly with Travel West Midlands.

The problem is the more you look at it the less you see, as the wall is close to what was Wolverhampton upper level, if the was a sign there it would most likely relate to the station? this part of the wall would relate to the original station, till someone disagrees with this last statement, if it is a sign I would think that it is possibly very old? and very very weathered

PS when I say the old Railway Station I mean the one next to the modern Bus Station confused I am (normal state)
Horsencart, It certainly looks as if the differently coloured bricks did at one time spell out a name

I thought that it could just be randomly placed bricks but I have looked at the area on Google. The walls are both sides of the street and are obviously Railway Age Staffs Blue Bricks. On the opposite side of the street there looks as if there might have been a similar mix of bricks but if you look up and down the street the other walls do not have this although built in the same style.

I am planning to explore this area myself at some time but I do not expect to do this in the immediate future. It is about time I had another trip to the Great Western pub which is just under the bridge.

Spotted this sign in Muntz Street - not able to stop and photograph as I was in a taxi and it was dark at the time.

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-13_10-9-42.png
    upload_2017-4-13_10-9-42.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 29
Very good sign Janice.

Wills, like many other cigarette manufacturers, must have had many wall signs at one time, especially when smoking was popular and competition increased between producers. Wonder if they employed a number of sign writers ? And were signs regularly over painted? Viv.

And the one now at the black country museum was transferred brick by brick, though I assume there was a touchup of the cement

blackcountrymus8.jpg

Probably been on here before, but I took this of Twinings from Shaftmoor Lane in Hall Green from the no 1 bus.

I believe that there are two ghost signs on that wall EllB.
Behind the Twinnings Teas & Coffees and girl poster there seems to be red lettering ?? TIPS and black tea lettering. I don't thing the queried letters spell Typhoo (not enough space?) but they might be PG.
Maybe someone can enhance.

It is interesting to note that often instructions regarding painting exterior structures often advise against painting brick. The reason being poor durability. However, as we have all seen from posts in this thread, painted signs, on brick walls, have a good longevity.

Back