• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tubes Limited

Alan. Yes i did receive your e-mail and when i get a bit more time, i will message you back. Just busy, as usual, but will get round to it. Promise.

Hi Punch,

Yes my dad was about 5ft 6 and was softly spoken, he had fair hair, always smoked Wooodbines. I am trying to find a photo that my dad had taken at the presentation, there are quite a lot of people on it, typically I am having trouble finding it, but as soon as I do my husband will post it on the site and there may be someone on it you recognise.

BRAMCOTE.
Hi bramcote I am so pleased to be able to remember your Dad and I do remember him as a smoker but then again who didn't in them days. He was the main man to teach anyone to drive a crane because he'd got the right attitude and the hardest bay to work. He would operate three controls at the same time. (The hoist,long and cross travel ) fasinating to watch with so much accuracy

Hi Bazz
Nice to see you on line and great to see you recalling the old crew names big bill antrobus old Stan and the rest of the crew way back then
And the guy on the Pickering at the bottom.the shop I also recall him good bloke do you recall Albert crump
Big tall guy getting on with white hair Albert had been there for years he was number one slinger he taught me the signals
For slinging for the crane driving and bill taught me the driving and put me for the excam test which I past
My first one was number 3 crane then promoted to number one
Bazz do you know what happened to your side kick old ginger whom worked along side you on the little hut by the shutters of the forge
They was a great bunch of lads to be working with hey,one happy family
Bram,did you ever recall a guy a short large guy whom drove number 1crane is nick name was yogie bear ,
I have been trying to think of his name he was always on the sick I asked bazz many years back on here when joined the forum
But u fortunely Bazz could not recall him as I think you said you yourself drove number one crane
Best wishes every body by the way Bazz I sent you an email a couple of days ago did you not receive it Bazz, Alan,,,,Astonian,,,,
Hi Astonian
The guy who drove Bay 1 crane Nick name yogi bear was called KENNY HADDEN it took a few wines to remember

Hi punch ,
Great news for a couple of years now I often tried to recall his name yes it was Kenny ,I always we called called him yogi bear
Mind you he was always a good bloke a very pleasant bloke and a laugh a minute
I hope bazz see,s his name now co,s he would also remember him now by his name as Kenny Haddon
As he was there when bazz and myself was there he was always a sense from work for long periods and I would have to cover for him
Great laugh thou he was ,thanks punch for recalling his name and telling us
I say some days up in those cranes was really rough with all that heat and when some of them got smokie
Always great when dinner time came around we would, always nip over to the pub the old Hen and chickens and get a couple down our necks
Old Stan fisher was a decent bloke if he seen us nipping across he would turn a blind eye
But if old big billy antrobus seen ya you would get a warning alright he was tight on that rules was rules in his eyes out you go
If he caught you 2 till 10 was a great shift get over at half past five opening during our first break nipp across for a swifter one
Thanks again punch best wishes Alan,,, Astonian',,,,

West 1 001.jpgHi Punch,

I'm pleased to say I have found the photo I have been looking for so we can confirm if it was my dad you remember, it is dated Ist December 1959. so my dad must have started at Tubes in 1934, I thought he had done 40 years but I have found a certificate saying 36 years dated 26th June 1970 which is when he retired aged 66, I know he stayed on a year longer to train someone else for the Job. My husband is going to upload the photo tomorrow Friday

Bramcote.

Hi Everyone,

Here is the photo, my dad is first person standing on left of picture Bill West, hope you might be able to recognise friends .

Bramcote.

Hi Darquorze
I worked at tubes ltd between 1968 to 1986 and knew a guy in the same department as me and his name was Jim Bird who I think lived in Common lane washwood Heath but unfortunately died of a heart attack

Hi Bazz, Beam, Punch Dark
Nice to see a few old names coming on here after all these years yes punch it was Kenny with the nick name
Of yogie bear it never offended him even thou he was absent more times than in, great bloke thou
But saying that you have to admit it was like if we was one large family through out the forge yet alon
The offices I was always on the annual tour of the forges did you ever give the tours to our other family members
Of our work force in and out around the furnace when it came around,
I also recall jim and most of all Albert crump Albert used to live over at Kitts green if I recall him correctly
And I think he was number one slinger for the company he also taught me the slinging ropes
And I was slinging for Kenny and the others eventually Stan fisher came and asked me if I fancied the cranes
And I jumped up and took number one crane for years funny thing I knew Stan fisher and his son
As we was neibours for many years when growing up and his son Colin was an friend to us
As they lived up the next terrace to us and the same school upper Thomas street
As time went on he married my childhood sweet heart meaning Colin is son
But I had moved on from Aston even thou I was working there at tubes my dear old mother years ago
Whilst I was visiting my mother told me jenny is marrying Colin fisher I was gob smacked
She told me her grand mother whom jenny lived with and brought up by her told my mother the date
So weeks later I charged down to Aston parish church and waited by the gates at a distance peering
Over the front church walls and glared down to them having pictures taken she looked up towards the gates and I knew she
Seen me she was dressed lovely but I was shocked to hear it was Colin she decide to marry
But getting back on track I recall them all and have great memories I wish I could put the clock back area years now
But as they say tempus fusus time flys when having fun does anybody know if the hen and chicks is still there
As I live in word and have done for the laser twenty years when we was on the late shift on our break
We always looked over over our shoulders to see if big bill antrobus was around sharing the gates making sur e none of us nipped across for a quickie Stan was not to bad he some times turned a blind eye
Best wishes guys take care ,,, Alan,,,,Astonian,,,,,,,

Hi Astoian
Here's a few names of guy's who worked in the Forge
Stan Rogalson (T&G branch sec ) straighter .Jack Townsend (T&G works convenor.) lathe operator.Benny Taylor(lathe operator) Derrick Jones (lathe operator) Tommy Hickman ( fielding press and massey hammer ) Arnold Bilston (Ajax operator) George Kershaw ( Ajax operator ) Ernie Townsed. Ossie King ( gfm operators ) Ron Evans Georgia Bevon Billy Weir billy Latham Stan Price and Bill Silvester all Foreman.

Hi Punch
many thanks for the roll call of our old friends back at the old forge many times i tried to recall old stan and jack surname to recall to our old and my dear friend Bazz mwhom you have probaly spoken to or if not you haveseen andread his threads on here for years i used to write to Bazz but oweing to myself
i have not written in a long timeand i must start to write to him he is a great guy
punch can you recall the old chap whom was the sarnie runner for us in the forge best wishes Astonian,,,

Hi Astonian
I can't remember the surname of the old guy who was the runner, but his first name was Sid and he had a transfer from the central stores next to the machine shop
I can recall.he was a very smart and a true gent and nothing would ever be to much from fags tea sugar milk news papers and you could have it on the stap then pay him back when we got payed on Thursday
Can you remember when the swagger furnace went up in flames on a shift change and all the staff.were at a production meeting,well me being a paid fire fighter needed. Some help so I burst into the meeting shouting FIRE. FIRE
and Big Bill replied put some wood on it what a sense of humour you had to have working in the forge

Last edited:
Hi punch
Yes that was dear old big bill I did not think he smiled a lot but he certainly had a good sense of humerr from time to time
Yes I do recall a lot of incidences in the forge great crew and team players as a big family
And yes old said was a great little guy he was always on hand to nip out and get you those tea bags or sugar or the sarnies
Any time through the shift I do not surprise you recall the guy on the saw band do you was it a Stan Robinson
He always had a head banda around his forehead always looking sweaty and black I must try and remember to drop our friend
Bazzm a line I have not spoken in ages speak again punch with more memory take care Astonian,,,,

Hi Astoness and BazzM.

Thank you so much for replying, I would love to see the photos if possible. Astoness, I'm sorry my dad didn't use to tell us much about his work, I do know my dad stayed on an extra year to train a new person, he didn't retire until he was 66. as you say how unusual for a woman to be a crane driver. Do you know how many cranes there were and what they lifted, also I remember the brilliant Christmas Parties they used to have for the children.

Bramcote.
Bramcote

I have been reading some of the Infirmation on the Tubes

Various mentions of my two brothers John and Jimmy Jeffries

Jimmy sadly no longer with us John is now living in Tasmania

My father John also worked there for well over 40 + years until an accident when slinging some tubes went awry and he was trapped in among it all , he never worked again

My brother John like a pint or three in the Hen and Chickens , his wife did not and turned up with his dinner on one occasion and tipped it over his head

Bryan jeffries

Bryan. I knew both your brothers John & Jim, and worked in the forge dept at Tubes Ltd with them for 7 years. I'm sad to hear the news about Jimmy. If my memory serves me right, Jimmy was a foreman because he was always popping in the office i worked in on the shop floor. And if i recall, John used to play football for Tubes too. They were both great guys to know and work with. And i like the mention of The Hen & Chickens, because i used that pub as well. Great memories. If you are still in contact with John, please tell him i said hi. Tell him i was the kid that used to have a desk at the far end from Bill Antrobus's office. I'm sure he will remember me. Nice to talk to you.

Hi Bryan
There was four overhead cranes in the forge where bazzm and myself operated
I was number 1 overhead crane in the forge ,
Bazzm as been in touch with me today to tell me of your thread,it was a great surprise to hear of you
As I recall you along with the rest of the crews and big bill antroubus and Stan fisher and the other couple
And I certainly remember your brothers as well and of the accidents and area more problems
That was there, big Albert taught me the slinging ,before going up into the cranes
And put me through the paces and got me my licence
And yes we all went and Nipped across on the late shift for a couple of bevvys
Especially if Stan fisher or big bill was not around and get back in
And of course little said the runner for sandwiches and I was always on the open days and nights
Every year to show the public all around the forges and various departments
And explaining various operations
I shall be emailing our dear old friend Bazzm up in Scotland ,as we both have a busy life style
And through one thing or another we have not spoke in a while but we do not miss Christmas out
Bazz,s Hog man aye that's for sure hope you can keep in touch with us both Brian
Best wishes Alan,,Astonian,,,,

Hi Bryan
There was four overhead cranes in the forge where bazzm and myself operated
I was number 1 overhead crane in the forge ,
Bazzm as been in touch with me today to tell me of your thread,it was a great surprise to hear of you
As I recall you along with the rest of the crews and big bill antroubus and Stan fisher and the other couple
And I certainly remember your brothers as well and of the accidents and area more problems
That was there, big Albert taught me the slinging ,before going up into the cranes
And put me through the paces and got me my licence
And yes we all went and Nipped across on the late shift for a couple of bevvys
Especially if Stan fisher or big bill was not around and get back in
And of course little said the runner for sandwiches and I was always on the open days and nights
Every year to show the public all around the forges and various departments
And explaining various operations
I shall be emailing our dear old friend Bazzm up in Scotland ,as we both have a busy life style
And through one thing or another we have not spoke in a while but we do not miss Christmas out
Bazz,s Hog man aye that's for sure hope you can keep in touch with us both Brian
Best wishes Alan,,Astonian,,,,

Astonion

Thank you for all the information on the Tubes

I will forward your memories on to John who no doubt will remember all of the banter and friendship that was also forged with great relish , there are some things you cannot put a price on , an industrial band of brothers , a team , a unit of hard grafting and skilled men

Take care

Bryan

Hi Brian,
Nice to hear from you after all these years and I like what you replied
You can never say a better wording of what you have said about us all at tube
We was a very close family indeed and such Commradship between us all
Down in that smokey old forge I loved every moment of it
I intend to send Bazz an email in the morning to let him know I made contact with you
Please pass my regards to the brothers ,and asked them if they recall one crane driver
Nick named yogi Bear, he was on the sick regular and more time off than his working life
But he was okay for the crack always chatting and having a laugh,
Do you recall old Stan Robinson I think he was on number 2 furnace
Best wishes Astonian,,,

Hi Brian,
Nice to hear from you after all these years and I like what you replied
You can never say a better wording of what you have said about us all at tube
We was a very close family indeed and such Commradship between us all
Down in that smokey old forge I loved every moment of it
I intend to send Bazz an email in the morning to let him know I made contact with you
Please pass my regards to the brothers ,and asked them if they recall one crane driver
Nick named yogi Bear, he was on the sick regular and more time off than his working life
But he was okay for the crack always chatting and having a laugh,
Do you recall old Stan Robinson I think he was on number 2 furnace
Best wishes Astonian,,,

hi astonian, my name is john Jeffries, it was nice reading all those names that I haven't heard for a long time, great memories. I started there in the 60s and worked there for 15 years, as a labourer, I then went onto learning to drive the crane in bay 3. from there I moved on to the ajax machpeople ine with jimmy, my brother. then I became a leading hand on there. in charge of dougie westwood and frank Higgins who were both big boys!!! just to mention a few names, eric Wilcox who worked in the machine shop with dennis brassinton. people like paddy fod and his brother Eugene, and tony lewis who used to drive the crane in bay 2. I remember yogi well. bob Williams who worked in the next department, mick parsons, jimmy currie, who worked in the lf department. they are the ones who run the soccer team, lf roma on sundays. mick meeny came in on the afternoon shift, it was hot, he got a bottle of milk off bootsy, he then went over in the far corner of the forging dept. where the gfm machine is, which was right by the canal, he tied a rope around the bottle of milk and dropped it in the canal to keep it cold. what he didn't know was some of the boys seen him doing it and when he went away they took the milk out and threw the rope back in, when he came back to get his milk and it wasn't on the end of the rope, he then dived in to the canal to try and find his milk!!!!!! funny. hi to all the tubes guys that I know. cheers.

hi john and welcome to the forum...thanks for your memories of tubes...i found the story about the milk very funny...would you happen to recall my aunt joan howard who worked at tubes...i am pretty sure she worked on the cranes which i would have thought was unusual for a woman in the 60s..

lyn

hi john and welcome to the forum...thanks for your memories of tubes...i found the story about the milk very funny...would you happen to recall my aunt joan howard who worked at tubes...i am pretty sure she worked on the cranes which i would have thought was unusual for a woman in the 60s..

lyn
no sorry there was a vera she was the crane driver in bay 5 john

ok john thanks...my aunt could must worked the cranes elsewhere in the factory then..

lyn

hi astonian, my name is john Jeffries, it was nice reading all those names that I haven't heard for a long time, great memories. I started there in the 60s and worked there for 15 years, as a labourer, I then went onto learning to drive the crane in bay 3. from there I moved on to the ajax machpeople ine with jimmy, my brother. then I became a leading hand on there. in charge of dougie westwood and frank Higgins who were both big boys!!! just to mention a few names, eric Wilcox who worked in the machine shop with dennis brassinton. people like paddy fod and his brother Eugene, and tony lewis who used to drive the crane in bay 2. I remember yogi well. bob Williams who worked in the next department, mick parsons, jimmy currie, who worked in the lf department. they are the ones who run the soccer team, lf roma on sundays. mick meeny came in on the afternoon shift, it was hot, he got a bottle of milk off bootsy, he then went over in the far corner of the forging dept. where the gfm machine is, which was right by the canal, he tied a rope around the bottle of milk and dropped it in the canal to keep it cold. what he didn't know was some of the boys seen him doing it and when he went away they took the milk out and threw the rope back in, when he came back to get his milk and it wasn't on the end of the rope, he then dived in to the canal to try and find his milk!!!!!! funny. hi to all the tubes guys that I know. cheers.

Hi john
Nice to hear from you after all these years I will be speaking to Bazzm today and I will tell him
That you have made contact with the forum today
Yes indeed there was no way a woman would have been up those gantrys in the cabs
Especially in the forge she would not have stood the black smoke and Heat like us blokes
And I am not being discriminated to any lady when you as up in those cranes you knew
About it and also when you have got to swing and guide all those hot tubes into combined spaces
Among your mates and let's face it ,it was very confined areas between the ajax,s
As you said it must have been the other department within the tubes complex
I think they had the penderlant crane either across the other side of cheston road
But saying that I seem to recall a little skinny chap whom was over there
I am trying to think of the saw man whom would cut certain lengths of tubes for the special orders
Do you remember old Ginger whom worked with Bazz he had his little Hut by the gate
Checking out the orders we had to load onto the wagons that what we was sending out
And of course what they would be bringing out old Stan price was a decent bloke
I knew him personally out side work he was a neibour he lived up the back of Thompsons
The butchers slaughter house on Lichfield road and his son Colin was an old school friend
He married my childhood girl friend much to my disappointment
When I was told about them getting married ,on that day I dashed down to Aston parish church
To see them coming out but I stood by the church wall from the gate as they was having there photos taken
She stared right up and she clocked me and I was gutted ,she looked stunning as she was always as a kid any way I will not go memory lane on that one
Yes its been nice to hear from you I would have liked area more lads from there making a debut
On this great site please keep in touch,,,,,, best wishes Astonian,,,,,,,

Hello John. Glad you decided to join our little group. It's a great way of re-living our Tubes days. I see you've been chatting with Astonian (Alan). He comes up with some cracking stories of the guys in the forge, and some names that i nearly forgot. As have you today. People like Eugene Ford & Eric Wilcox. How could i have forgotten Eric. I will never forget the day he came into the office where Bill Antrobus worked. I was in there and he came by me with a bacon sarnie, and then dropped the bacon on the floor, but immediately picked it up, put it back in the sarnie and eat it. I've never forgot that. Well John, i'm glad you've found us again, and hope you will keep in touch with posts every now and then. Look forward to more. Take care. Best wishes, Barry.

Back