• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Parisian Club Cannon Street

Hmm.....maybe it was the other documentary film website "Look at Life" then:(

I've seen it somewhere,honest! (Will look through my scribbles over the weekend).

I think it was opposite the Windsor in Cannon st , the Windsor is still there , Or was it the side entrance to Yates's ? where they served up that wonderful Australian Wine In glasses called Docks , which when empty we put em in baskets , Brill

Their was a great wine bar as well in Cannon street. Towards New street on the right, same side as the Winsor:)

We only went to the Parisian once, it was quite rough at night. I stood near a pillar and someone threw a glass against it as a fight had started. We never went there again! There were plenty more pubs to choose from!

excellent Richie, and i loved seeing what we wore then. Max

pub was actualy in cannon st just off new street it was originaly the the print works for birmingham even mail it closed down as a pub in the late 80s had many great nights there drinking and working there as a barman and doorman ( any one remember having to wait in line ) if you were a regular do you remember the bloke who looked like the "beegees"
Just reading this thread. I remember that bloke who looked like the lead singer in the beegees, guess what, he still looks like him. I have seen him a few times around Ward End, Fox & Goose area, I can't believe he still has the same hairstyle and beard etc as in the 70's.

A bit pointless posting this image of Canon St because I'm pretty sure most of the shop frontages have changed. I reckon The Parisian was situated along one of these shops or maybe just out of site, where the street changes direction. Yep, Cagneys as well. The Parisian seemed to have a bar in every corner & on every floor! Did you walk through the entrance & then down some steps?

I also remember the Filibuster. A horseshoe shaped bar? & alcoves? Sunday evenings there was a DJ who played a great mixture of music. Only snag with Sunday evenings was work Monday morning.
CopyofCanonSt.jpg

A bit pointless posting this image of Canon St because I'm pretty sure most of the shop frontages have changed. I reckon The Parisian was situated along one of these shops or maybe just out of site, where the street changes direction. Yep, Cagneys as well. The Parisian seemed to have a bar in every corner & on every floor! Did you walk through the entrance & then down some steps?

I also remember the Filibuster. A horseshoe shaped bar? & alcoves? Sunday evenings there was a DJ who played a great mixture of music. Only snag with Sunday evenings was work Monday morning.
CopyofCanonSt.jpg

I think it was more or less where those bollards are in front of the shop.
Happy memories of that place. I liked the ways the girls stood at the barrier upstairs;):)

Here is a photograph of Cannon St from 1976. The Windsor is just about seen on the right, The Parisian is just outside of view around where the street turns left. It's interesing to compare the 'then' and 'now' photographs.

It was a pub in Cannon Street, with a balcony and dance floor,belonging to M & B. It was a regular haunt for our crowd from Sunflight Holidays. I was in there the night the Bombs went off, we had left the tavern about an hour earlier!!!!!

That's a good photo of Cannon St, Barr Beacon. With a car. I prefered it when the roads were still open to cars. New Street is a bit too comfortable these days. And who planted all the trees? You can't see the buildings because of the trees. This isn't suburbia. It's Birmingham New Street where you could once jump on a bus.

ye ...the inside was round with a gallery....I had many a good nite in there in the early 80,s.... queues outside were long though.

This image shows how much change has occured. No first or second floor above the entrance. The whole premises down below ground floor.
Parisian.jpg

Last edited:
Thats how i remember it. Brilliant photo thanks Gary

thanks very much gary...ive been waiting to see a pic of the parisian as i remember it....

cheers

lyn

It's great to see a photo of a building you haven't seen for years. Then you know it wasn't your imagination:)
Thanks Gary

Just reading this thread. I remember that bloke who looked like the lead singer in the beegees, guess what, he still looks like him. I have seen him a few times around Ward End, Fox & Goose area, I can't believe he still has the same hairstyle and beard etc as in the 70's.

I still see this fella round the Shard End area. Actually saw him at the 55 bust stop last Saturday, obviously on the way to town as he looked immaculate.

didnt chris callaghan run the e 57 club near the maypole in the 70s. i was at the same school as his son gary in kings heath late 60s

As far as I am aware the Parisian was next door to the rear entrance of Yates Wine Bar and it at number 6 Cannon Street. That was between New Street and Fore Street. It was a place that I never used as the 70's was well after the time that I used night clubs. Though I did work in the basement of some of those buildings when they were doing exploratory works for the planning of the upgrades to some of the buildings. I have to tell you that the basements were some depth, three or four floors deep, so they were as deep as they were high.

This is a photo of the Parisian, I think this might have come from the forum before it was attacked as I can't think where I would have gotten it from other than here.

Attachments

• City Cannon St Parisian .jpg
    City Cannon St Parisian .jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 221
Great shot of the Parisian, though I have to point out that it was never a club, just a pub although very popular at one time folk used to queue to get in, some thing I never done,not for a pub anyway, Michael.

Does anybody remember the Windsor when it was a spit and sawdust pub, with a serving hatch and a little old lady pulling pints for everyone. That was between 1977-1989 when i worked at Rackhams

Chris, certainly remember the Windsor, that and the Bodega was my late Wife's and I favourite pubs on our frequent visits to 'town' If I remember it was up some alley ? Could be wrong, perhaps that was the Bodega. Think we visited it much earlier than 1977, possibly in the 50's. (married in Dec 52). Eric

Back