• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hockley Hill

Seems to have been hit on more than one occasion Lyn. The first is an account of the 1923 flood as per pic # 130. The second is an account of the actions of a policeman when the 1920 flash flood occurred. This must be the flood Topsy mentioned when the two children died. Very, very sad. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375520217.309514.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375520226.778468.jpg

your right berniew past were the jag is parked in the carnagie heath centre.keep on walking up hunters road and you come to st francis church. we lived a cross the road from the church.

map_c_1903_court_2_hunters_vale__huses_in_red.jpghi viv thanks for those cuttings about the hockley brook floods ive not seen those before..thought you may like this bit of info..

as you may know dad lived in hunters vale as a young child at court 2 this was in the 30s so after the floods..this map shows court 2 in blue and the dotted line denotes hockley brook so as you can see it was so close to all the courts and houses on that side of hunters vale but it was probably some 30 feet below..will continue on my next post..

Last edited:
just before the war started new maisonettes were built to replace the old damaged courts and houses and dads parents moved into one of the top ones..dad said that his mom reckoned that if the brook flooded again at least they should be safe....here is a pic of where they lived top maisonette..hockley brook is behind the fencing..

HUNTERS VALE FEB 2013 011.JPG

Last edited:
HUNTERS VALE FEB 2013 013.JPGHUNTERS VALE FEB 2013 014.JPGHUNTERS VALE FEB 2013 015.JPGHUNTERS VALE FEB 2013 016.JPGlooking through the little hole in the red firemans door you can see hockley brook flowing below at a nice steady pace and not that deep but when the floods came the water rose right up and over the wall flooding the courts and houses....the wall on the right is next to where the old courts and houses were and then of course the new maisonettes were built next to it which is where dad lived until he married in 1950..ps very difficult getting me arm and camera through such a small gap lol..

Last edited:
hunters vale new inns pub.jpgthis pic shows the pumping out of the cellars of the new inns pub on the corner of hunters vale on the same side as the old courts and houses..

What a great piece of history Lyn. The Brook sounds so peaceful and romantic. But building so close to the brook, well almost on top of it in fact, seems to be asking for trouble. It's incredible that such a trickling stream could turn into a raging and lethal torrent. Your grandma had the right idea choosing the top level of the maisonette. Thanks for posting your pics, very interesting. Viv.

Hi
my grandfather and father had a jewellery business on hockley hill in the 1920's it was sadly demolished when they built the flyover. In the 1960's years after they had left, the name was sanders

Valerie if you have a look under the thread 'Old Street Pics' and put into that Hockley Hill under 'search thread' you will see there a photos of Hockley Hill on there. Carol

Carolina. Thanks I will have a look, yesterday I found one looking up fromHockley to wards birmingham, I could see my grandfathers building in the background, it was abt half way up towards the post office,, it was knocked down in the 60's to make way for the fly over. II do wish I had taken a photo of it, but back then I wasn,t interested in history.. On the top floor there was a window with their name engraved in. I expect it went in the skip.

Thanks once again. I M new to this site. I hAve spent
most of thr week end searching for things. It's great
From Val

hi folks i have just tidied up this thread and later on i shall be posting some new photos of hockley hill that i have never seen before...they are crackers.. i shall also be posting photos of hockley hill that are scattered about the forum under different thread titles so can we keep this thread just for photos of hockley hill please...

thanks folks

lyn

Last edited:
these have already appeared on the forum under different thread titles...

pic 2 shows hockley hills high pavements and the map shows the location of them

Attachments

• Hockley%20Hill%20shops%201900 corner with key hill.jpg
    Hockley%20Hill%20shops%201900 corner with key hill.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Hockley%20Hillhigh%20pavements near to key hill corner.jpg
    Hockley%20Hillhigh%20pavements near to key hill corner.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 54
  • hockley hill high pavement near key hill map.jpg
    hockley hill high pavement near key hill map.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 64
2 more.. pic 2 dated 1898

Attachments

• Hockley_Hill_from_Hockley_by_David_Harvey.jpg
    Hockley_Hill_from_Hockley_by_David_Harvey.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Hockley_Hill_1898_Ramsdale_org.jpg
    Hockley_Hill_1898_Ramsdale_org.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 42
i have asked mike to help with the extact location of this great photo...no idea where it was on hockley hill dated 1961..by the time i was walking up and down hockley hill to work most of the old buildings had been demolished for the flyover

Attachments

• Hockley Hill -15-11-1961.jpg
    Hockley Hill -15-11-1961.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 69
Lyn, painted that pic in #10 for a book, although book never published. Painting attached.

Eric18 Hockley Hill 17 18 19.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
these are new ones to me...great to see shots taken on this side of hockley hill..

pic 1 with guest st on the right....looking towards soho hill ..dated 1961

pic 2 with guest st on the left..looking up hockley hill towards gt hampton st...dated 1954

pic 3 with guest st on the right..looking towards soho hill...dated 1954

Attachments

• Hockley Hill - Guest Street 28-6-1961.jpg
    Hockley Hill - Guest Street 28-6-1961.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Hockley Hill - Guest Street 30-7-1954.jpg
    Hockley Hill - Guest Street 30-7-1954.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Hockley Hill 21-4-1954.jpg
    Hockley Hill 21-4-1954.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
dated 1966...the bank building is still there although no longer a bank..

Attachments

• Hockley Hill 8-2-1966.jpg
    Hockley Hill 8-2-1966.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 86
again these are new to me.....pic 1 numbers 31 to 35 dated 1961

pic 2 numbers 169 to 172 dated 1961

Attachments

• Hockley Hill No 170,171,172 - 11-4-1961.jpg
    Hockley Hill No 170,171,172 - 11-4-1961.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Hockley Hill No 31-35 - 21-11-1961.jpg
    Hockley Hill No 31-35 - 21-11-1961.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 83
looking up hunters road...just above the top of the clock bridge you can see the tip of st marys convent....dated 1964

first on the right would be farm st with the benyon arms pub on the corner

2nd on the right after the clock bridge is nursery road

turn the corner from the good cheers cellars and you are in new john street west

Attachments

• Hockley Hill No 105-109 - 31-7-1964.jpg
    Hockley Hill No 105-109 - 31-7-1964.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Lyn
Map c 1955 below showing coop at no.92 in red and welsh presbyterian church as in pic in post 11

Map_c_1955_showing_no_92_coop_and_welsh__presbyterian_church_in_hockley_hill.jpg

Back