• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
He looks like a jockey. "Where's me 'orse gone?"
He probably got his mates (in doorway) to give him a leg up there - or he was trying to escape from them in case they thumped him for having a clean shirt!
Where was this taken? I can make out "West" on the road sign but not the rest.

He probably got his mates (in doorway) to give him a leg up there - or he was trying to escape from them in case they thumped him for having a clean shirt!
Where was this taken? I can make out "West" on the road sign but not the rest.

its taken on the corner of bridge st west..

lyn

The photo of the Inner Circle bus has been discussed on the forum before and one of our members is sure that he was one of the boys. When I posted that I had seen the original of that photo and said that were infact three boys on the front seats, he said that was very likely as it would be a friend and a younger brother all travelling together.

I wonder if he is waiting for his television to be repaired at Pinnicks Radio and Television Shop ? The scene might be Green Lane in Small Heath but I'm not entirely sure.
18-11-092520018.jpg

I wonder if he is waiting for his television to be repaired at Pinnicks Radio and Television Shop ? The scene might be Green Lane in Small Heath but I'm not entirely sure.
18-11-092520018.jpg

I think the geezer's the eagle-eyed lookout for a daring raid on the said premises, Mohawk. There must be at least one glass-valve 1932 Pye set in there. But watch out! The kiddy is going to walk right into the line of fire between Joe's gang and the Feds who are stuck on red on the other side of the traffic lights!

But at least someone gets to save the cat, I suppose..

The 1955 directory confirms your theory pinnicks did have another shop at 289 Alcester Rd and 222 Green Lane

18-11-092520018.jpg

The 1955 directory confirms your theory pinnicks did have another shop at 289 Alcester Rd and 222 Green Lane
There is a mention about two shops by the picture house in the post link below, one of them being Collins Motor Cycles.
The front part of the picture house which is angled to the road appears to still be there on street view.

Last edited:
Looking at Pinnicks I suppose their business was successful when telly's could be repaired with soldering irons and bits of wire. Interesting to see that old 'H' tv aerial, a product that has faded away.

18-11-092520018.jpg

Lovely old photo. The same picture appears in the Cinema Treasures website but VERY grainy. Follow this link and it tells you about the Green Lane Picture House, the roof that fell in before it opened and who is using it now. https://cinematreasures.org/theaters/39680
I remember Pinnincks too, I think a neighbour worked for them and he would come round at any time to fix our TV!
Shame Google Streetview doesn't take you right past the door!
YES! Where is the cat? I love cats!
DAVID

Hi David - Thanks for that interesting link. The roof in the photo seems unusual being tiled and looks a little worn. Little radio and tv shops were always busy with repairs in those days.
Phil

Its possible but Im not 100% sure he was running to the airport from there the gaits a bit fast for a long run.
Maybe its his brother ?

now wheres that cat ?

I think the Madeira running man is supposed to be Christiano Whatsit, the footballer.
Still, a little artistic license never hurts, does it?

Concerning the Pinnick's Shop next to the Green Lane Picture House, I notice another Pinnick's Shop but can't resolve the street name.
Three shop assistants maybe from Gabel's butchers in the photo having a chat, not much meat on display so perhaps it is near closing time.
Unknown.JPG

This seems to be a different Pinnick, Alfred Pinnick, house furnishers, 77/79 Longmore St

Which means that Longmore st is the road going accross the road in the photo, which is Balsall Heath Road

As you have worked out Pinicks was on the opposite corner to the Wallace public house, I remember them both well. I had the odd drink in the Wallace, but it wasn't a good house.

Attachments

• Balsall Heath longmore St.jpg
    Balsall Heath longmore St.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 84
Concerning the Pinnick's Shop next to the Green Lane Picture House, I notice another Pinnick's Shop but can't resolve the street name.
Three shop assistants maybe from Gabel's butchers in the photo having a chat, not much meat on display so perhaps it is near closing time.
Unknown.JPG

In 1956 Joseph Reynolds (Fruiterer) had shop at 129 Balsall Heath Road and Gabel's Butchers had shop at 131 Balsall Heath Road. There is a ladies outfitters at no 133. The side road is therefore Longmore Street, and if so the pub was the Wallace Inn. Further research shows that 79-77 Longmore Street is Pinnicks, but this one is a furniture shop (not our TV repairers). Anyone got any other ideas? The Balsall Heath Road that these blokes on the street corner would have recognised has been completely obliterated.
DAVID

this one is in my top 10 of photos...taken in the street where i lived..villa st more or less opposite my house...we know whats the lady is doing and probably whats shes thinking she would like to do..crack the photographer over the head with her broom...priceless...

lyn

this one is in my top 10 of photos...taken in the street where i lived..villa st more or less opposite my house...we know whats the lady is doing and probably whats shes thinking she would like to do..crack the photographer over the head with her broom...priceless...
lyn
Hi Lyn - Another street sweeper, look at the concentration on her face - this photo is on the forum server but I don't know which street. ... Phil
35082714_KidSweeper.jpg

Saw some recent information which suggests she is near Frankfort Street and Summer Lane

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back