• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bridge Street/holliday Street Old House

Brian, your memories of 1967 are all the more valuable because at that time the massive re-development hadn't taken place around this area. So if anything else occurs to you 'prattle' on. We all do it and something might well ring a bell for others too. Thanks for telling us about your experience of the stables and the man who re-shoed the horses. - and of course the lovely cups of tea. All adds to our picture of the area. Viv.

Hi...
I`m sorry but Google Maps cannot help you for the PAST....Only wish it could...
I'm not looking at Google Maps, I'm using Google Search. However, Google Earth shows some quite good aerial pics of Birmingham in 1945 - an example I posted on the forum in another thread here.

Hi Viv...
Just about...
Double Stable Gates...3 to 4 Stables off to the left...Excercise Yard at the top of the Yard and the Farriers Quarters on the bottom right...
Farriers Quarters existed of a small area just outside where he used to shoe the horses...Inside was (And do not forget that I was only 18 at the time so I hope I do not exaggerate)
not a very large workshop...To the left , as you went in was the Horseshoe metalwork. ie..To be used to make the shoes...Small area inbetween...Eartheware floor, I remember...To the right was the "Brazier"...About 3ft high and about 2ft x 3ft...Scalding hot with coals all glimmering...beneath was a bellows contraption which was used to blow air into the brazier...My god how hot it got when he pumped them....There was an anvil near the brazier which he used to shape the hot metal to make the shoes and above were the tools he used to file the hooves before fitting the shoes and hammering them on....Fitting was always done in the yard as the smell was...well ..smelly...Especially burning the shoes in...
After fitting, the police rider used to canter around the top of the yard before signing off the "Chitty" to say that all was well...
What amazed me was that every time I saw a horse depart that they always turned left into holiday Street!!!
All I can remember apart from the LOVELY "ESPRESSO" "SMELL OF HORSES HOOVES" TEA !!!!(Perhaps I could Patent IT???)
Brian.

this thread has only been going for 5 days and already so many members have joined in to find out some info about this building and add their thoughts and ideas so many thanks to you all for your input..i will be making some enquires at the library soon so hopefully i can add a bit more to this thread....just goes to show that we are never too old to learn about the history of brum and i was thinking that from time to time (especially during the winter months) maybe members could offer up other buildings to investigate but PLEASE do not suggest the post office tower...im not scaling that one to take piccies not even for a box of milk tray.. lol

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn...
Want to talk about the Post Office Tower????
Largest Structure in Birmingham when it was built...
My Ex Fiancees father was the Quantity Surveyor for the development...How about that???
He and myself had to scale the structure, whilst in construction ,to calculate how many tiles it would take to clad the walls up to the top!!! We had to walk up!!!! No lift>>>>
Got the job done, but I agree with you, at my age now, ...Get someone else to go up there !!!
Brian.
P.S.
May I suggest you put something on , on my behalf??? A new "Old" Building for you to Research>>>
I am new to this site so I am not sure how to post a Topic yet so may I suggest you chose the Jacy News Theatre in Dale End in Birmingham???....
Who Remembers this???.....The road was comprised or old Railway sleepers....
Where was it situated???
Might make some interesting replies..

Viv
Below is a magnified version of the small scale OS map for 1967. In so far as can be seen from a map with not too much detail , the area seems to be very similar to that on post 52 which I thought was around 1950 (because another similar map from the same source showed the big top still an empty area).

bridge_st_1967.jpg

Hi Lyn...
Want to talk about the Post Office Tower????
Largest Structure in Birmingham when it was built...
My Ex Fiancees father was the Quantity Surveyor for the development...How about that???
He and myself had to scale the structure, whilst in construction ,to calculate how many tiles it would take to clad the walls up to the top!!! We had to walk up!!!! No lift>>>>
Got the job done, but I agree with you, at my age now, ...Get someone else to go up there !!!
Brian.
P.S.
May I suggest you put something on , on my behalf??? A new "Old" Building for you to Research>>>
I am new to this site so I am not sure how to post a Topic yet so may I suggest you chose the Jacy News Theatre in Dale End in Birmingham???....
Who Remembers this???.....The road was comprised or old Railway sleepers....
Where was it situated???
Might make some interesting replies..

good choice brian even though i have not heard of the the jacey it would be good learning about it..it could be an idea to start a new section called BUILDINGS UNDER INVESTIGATION and start a new thread for each different building chosen...will have a word with one of the moderators tomorrow

lyn

Hi oldMohawk
I`m not very good at Research OK?...Apologies to you OK?...Did not know that you could use Google search and that Information of the type you got was available so I beg your forgiveness.
I`m getting too old to use the technology available...just like to put down on paper what I recall without having to rely on Archives..Not that I disagree with it but memmories mean lots, if you get my meaning...
Kind Regards
Brian.

Hi Lyn.
Thanks for that....
I think you may find it very interesting....I remember it well...
I used to go there as a 5 year old!!!!
Not giving anything away but it was the 1st News Theatre to have a Scrolling "Whats on" !!!! at the front of the Theatre....(All in Lights)...
Brian.

Hi oldMohawk
I`m not very good at Research OK?...
Hi Brian - No need for apologies. At least you have seen the building when it was being used. I'm not having much success searching for mounted police - keep ending up in Birmingham Alabama - they had more mounted police !
Phil ...

Hi Phil...
At the time it was under the control of the Birmingham Public Health Department...Perhaps that might give you something more than the "Alabama" Police Dept. Or "Clint Eastwood"
Not Researched it myself but there must be something in the B`Ham PHD Files to give you a link.
What i do not understand is what happened to the mounted Police Force in this Country???...Are they now amalgamated into 1 Agency????...We still see Mounted Police in this Country, especially in London!!!!..Loads of Mounted Police when there is Trouping of the Colour.....Perhaps there might be a lead there...
Do not forget that my recollections are from 1967 and times change, just like County and Electorial Boundaries do, just to please the Politicians and the Statisticians...get my meanings..???
If you want to probe deeper then look at what the Birmingham Health Dept was responsible for at that time...i.e. Vivisection Dept in Gt. Charles St....(I have not just said that...Do not quote me).....
There are Records out there that we may not be privy to.....
Not say anymore tonite OK?
See what you can come up with Bham City Council.
Brian.
P.S.
Hope nothing I have said will be offensive to anyone.

mikijee
thank you for posting the map of 36 holiday street i often wondered where about in holiday street no 36 was
i now know with your help thank you
josie

hi folks as this thread is going so well i have asked for it to be moved to the BUILDINGS PAST AND PRESENT section which will be done when time permits we can then start new threads under that section for other buildings that our members would like to get more info on..

brian after your suggestion of looking into the jacy at dale end i will go and start a thread for that now for you...

lyn

this thread has now been moved to the BUILDINGS PAST AND PRESENT SECTION...thanks colin...

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and live at Centenary Plaza.

This building has fascinated me for the past ten years and I'm amazed nobody can pinpoint its original use.

has anyone considered conducting a Land Registry index Map Search to find out whether it is registered? The title (if registered) would confirm ownership and may also contain clues / old deeds which may lead to further information.

i could carry this out through work if this would be of use?

Matt

Thanks Matt that would be a brilliant idea. Would you mind doing it?

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and live at Centenary Plaza.

This building has fascinated me for the past ten years and I'm amazed nobody can pinpoint its original use.

has anyone considered conducting a Land Registry index Map Search to find out whether it is registered? The title (if registered) would confirm ownership and may also contain clues / old deeds which may lead to further information.

i could carry this out through work if this would be of use?

Matt

Of course. I'll do it next week and let you guys know.

hopefully a) it's registered and b) the title has some indication as to the former use.

at the very least we will get a registered proprietor and description of the land.

Thank you

hopefully a) it's registered and b) the title has some indication as to the former use.

at the very least we will get a registered proprietor and description of the land.

welcome matt and thanks for offering to help with the research on this building....looking forward to your findings...

thanks again and good luck..:encouragement:

lyn

Thanks from me too Roachy. Would love to find out any details. As you can see, we tried very hard to pin this one down. Viv.

Hi guys, apologies I have not got round to doing this yet. What would be useful and also keep the cost down is someone could provide me with an OS plan which I can submit to the Land Registry. Don't suppose anyone has anything?

Sorry to leave this so long. I did get the title and will look through it soon. It's owned by a private individual

That's good news Matt. Be interesting to see if it throws any more light on this building. It certainly generated some interesting discussion. Look forward to anything you can add. But in your own time of course. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sorry to leave this so long. I did get the title and will look through it soon. It's owned by a private individual
Thanks for doing this. Really interested to know what the title throws up. Walked by it again the other week and was drawn to it once again.

Thanks Lyn. I think the old house and buildings is just on the edge of the map, bottom left. Wonder if anyone's seen anything else in the local press? Viv.

Last edited:
One of the images on the site is below. I've enlarged it. The development area is blue and I've added a red dot below which is where the old house is. Looks like it's just out of reach - hopefully. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 27
Back