• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Guildford Street Lozells

Re: guilford street lozells

#187 I Noticed Shire Brook on the medievel map. I know now where Shire Brook Court got it,s name. It is the warden complex at the top of Chain Walk, Mom and Dad lived there for a while

Topsy
What a cracking photo, been there, done that, got the tea shirt.
I am enjoying looking at yours and Lyns photos as well as digging some up myself.

Regards Stars

If I didn't know better I would have swore that the woman in #192 was my mom, But that is not our back door. Here is my mom, taken about the same time outside our back door in Guildford Street

Momoutthtback.jpg

ps, that is an old back door bricked in on her left; the actual back door is just off the picture

great pics mike and topsy..love the close up of the chapel...

stars you are all doing a fine job of reposting lost images...its just what the forum needs...

lyn

Mom looking a bit younger. She was living in Guildford Street as well at this time; in Eden Place

Mominchair.jpg

Is it not possible for a moderator to add the 'd' to the Guil_ford thread title. Anyone searching for this street would miss this material completely. Can it be done by the thread poster?
Your mom was stunning Mike.
The houses were monotonously similar dark holes wern't they. So nice to live in a house now with bright windows that open so easily. Now if I can only get the guy from next door to cut down his monster tree that is slowly taking over my garden ...I can take more advantage of the light. Stupid what some folk plant right in front of their house with no thought for the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think anybody is listening Rupert; noone heard you the first time it seems.
Actually I loved living there although I suppose not having running hot water until I was in my twenties was a problem.
My dad was a good looker as well. Not me though

Hi Michael. I have just come across your post. The photo you speak of is that Mrs Crompton and her daughter Ann Marie. lived at 31 Guildford St. My mother was born early 1900's lived in Guildford St. her name was Florence Lockstone. they lived at 39 Guildford St. She spoke of Mrs Crompton and her shop when I was growing up. I am also looking for pictures of Guildford St.

hi sharijam i have posted a few pics of guildford st starting on post 153 but surley this pic must show the house where your mom lived..it show numbers 37 to 47...cant be certain but i think 39 could be the house boarded up or maybe the one next to it...

lyn

Picture001-1.jpg

Hi Mike
Lovely photo's of your family, thanks for sharing them with us.

Stars

Here is the picture: On the left, looking at the picture is my great grandmother Marie. Originally Haycock she married my great grandfather Francis Harry Crompton. In 1873 Marie and Francis, with their daughter Annie Marieaged 4 and their baby son emigrated to New York. I know nothing of why they went, presumably looking for work. Around that time Francis had been working as a jeweller’s chaser and living in a court in Gt Russell Street. While there my grandfather, another Francis Harry was born. I am not sure when or why they returned to Birmingham but I know they were back by 1879 and in 1881 were living at number 2 Furnace Lane and Francis was back working as a chaser in the jewellery trade.
In 1991 they were living in Farm Street and later Kelly's Directory shows Francis as a shopkeeper at 31 Guildford Street in 1895 and 1896. I assume the shop was in his name, as the man, but that Marie ran it. He died in 1896 at 47.
In 1898 Marie married Thomas Walker. Thomas was also in the jewellery trade and moved into the Guildford Street shop with Marie. I am not sure when Marie died but my mom used to talk about her and the shop. I was born in 1941 and as far back that I can remember it was a private house. We lived at 26 which was almost directly opposite 31
Also in the photograph is Marie’s daughter Annie Marie Crompton. At the time of the photograph, which I assume is around the turn of the century, or a little before, Marie was married to Alfred Barlow, a silversmith, and living in Clifford Street. Later when Alfred died she married Robert James Moile and became posh – see other photograph. Robert was the step son of Mary Ann Crompton, the Aunt of Annie Marie. Annie and James lived in Kings Norton and owned property off the Lozells Road and in Sparkbrook. James was described as a licensed victualler in 1901. I don’t know what pub or pubs he ran but I do know that his stepfather, a previous husband of Mary Ann Crompton, Cornelius Johnson, ran the Porchester Arms in 1871.
In the second photo Annie Marie is in black and James is sitting on the step looking like Georg V. The poor person with the cap is probably my grandfather Francis Harry

shop.jpg

stonleigh.jpg

You have posted the second picture before (pre wipeout) and I have to say that some of these old pictures are superbely clear...these included. Very nice indeed.

Hi Astoness. Thankyou so much for photo what a lovely surprise have found photos in thumbnails but of course can't get into them. Everyone is so helpful on this site
and it is appreciated. marilyn

happy to help marilyn..the pics from post 153 that i have re posted are not thumnail so you will be able to see them..

lyn

Hi Lyn
Found 153 thankyou I will go through thumnails again Do you know if there was a school in late 1800's in geach st ? aston My mother went to Thomas St have found a picture of that. Then on to Geach St. Marilyn

sorry marilyn i dont think there was a school at all in geach st..at least ive never heard of one..there was one in alma st and gower st which are close..

Definitely no school in Geach Street, However, there was a Sunday school, at the end on the corner of Geach Street and Summer Lane, at the Church of Christ. Also on Tuesdays as the Sunshine Corner.

Thankyou Adept brummy. Lovely photo's. Hard to believe after all these years a name should pop of someone you have heard of. marilyn

Thankyou Astoness. I probably have it wrong know it was "G" most likely is Gower St. Do you have any photos please. My niece is doing a family tree I am looking for History and photos of the area. Many thanks.Marilyn.

Back