• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

Hi
I came across this 1901 photo of the fountain. I love to look at the clothes they wore in those days.
I think it is great to look at crowds from that period.

Image9_The_fountain_1901.jpg

Regards Stars

Lovely photos Stars. I was wondering if the Winter Garden and Exhibition Hall advertised on the hoarding in the Old Square photo #362 was the theatre that was built near Old Sq but was demolished (possibly in the 1950s/60s?).Viv.

my dad used to take me as a kid to the old fountain in Brum centre and let me paddle in the summer in the 50's
thanks for that stars had totally forgotten.
paul

hi all

Who remembers the roundabout. And a crowded Subway, just up from Nelson house and thortons.

Image2_The_roundabout.jpg

Image1_1970_subway.jpg

Thank you for your comments Regards Stars

Thanks for your photo posts Star it warms the cockles of my heart to see such superb photos, I only wish we could see all the others posted, but one day hopefully they will re appear or even ask folks to re post there great photos of our "City Center" old historic and current buildings and scenic. I fear it will take some time to regain our lost photos.

Stars. As I've said before, many thanks for posting these pictures again. I could sit and look at these for hours, and just be taken back in time. Wonderful.

Hi Bob
It will take time. But myself along with others are re-posting them and doing our best to put them in the right thread.

Stars

Stars, thanks for posting your photos, don't those ladies in pic 5 look smart in their suits and hats?! Mum and Nan always wore a hat to go out. (Headscarf turban indoors).
rosie.

Five City Centre photos with a railway theme, memories of cups of tea and pies, National Service and low priced train tickets.

After an evening at the Ice Rink, we used to walk up to Snow Hill entrance and hang around there chatting and buying cups of tea and pies from Alec's mobile canteen. It did not take much to please us in those far off days. I remember one particular night there because I came back to the station next morning to catch a train for two years RAF National Service.
Snow_Hill_Snack_Bar.jpg

They had plenty of trade so look happy.
Snack_Bar_Snow_Hill.jpg

Ran across this bridge on many Sunday Nights to catch the Bristol to Newcastle Express back to camp.
Footbridge_New_St_Station_m.jpg

Another view of the entrance to the overbridge.
Entrance_to_footbridge_New_St_Station_m.jpg

View from the corner of Hill Street. Some building construction going on in the background. Look at the prices of the train tickets on the posters. Liverpool 12/6 (65p) and a trip to Leicester for 6/6 (35p)less than the price of today's first class stamp.
View_from_Hill_St_corner.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely photos Stars. I am a bit confused about Old Square and Temple Street - they are not that close, and even Temple Row did not surely go as far as Old Square, it became The Minories. Perhaps someone can clarify.

shortie

Hi Shortie
Sorry for the confusion, i just wrote it as it appeared. But perhaps mike may be able to help.

stars

What great pictures I just cannot believe the crowds of people its hard to believe I must have been amongst it all when I worked in the city in the early 50s.

Stars
I don't know where Temple St came from, but I have another copy of the photo, slightly less cropped, which apprently shows the building on the right as being an end-building. If you enlarge the photo you can see "Centrak Tramways " above the first floor windows. This must be Birmingham & Aston Tramways, which were there in Kellys in 1895, but had gone in 1897. This was at no 14 Old Square, which would seem to be as marked (14) on the map below. However Kellys shows nos 12 & 13 between no 14 and Upper Priory, and there is no sign on the map of them. All I can assume is that the building i have marked as 14 is also 12 & !3.
Mike
map_c_1889_old_square_showing_tramways_building.jpg

Incidently Shefffields, ( posters seen on the building being demolished) were a Bill Posing company
Mike

Hi Mike
Thank you for that, i will just strike the temple out. I have got a newer photo of Old square i will sort out.

Thanks again mike. Stars

I'm still a bit confused Mike (old age!) - is the road straight ahead that we can see on the photograph The Minories? I have seen drawings of Old Square in the past, but this photograph has completely astonished me. Old Square looks smaller than I thought it would - sometimes I wish I had been born a century earlier.

Shortie

Shortie
Don't know if this larger version helps. corporation st is diagonally going across.On the photo, the road going off to the left is the minories
Mike

map_c_1889_old_square.jpg

Mike,would you show me a map just south of this one?I am looking for Dale End just before it's junction with Bull Street.I think there were 3 pubs next door to each other.
Moss

That gives a much better idea of where the photo was taken, thank you Mike - it's also smaller than the Victorian square. I only have a map of about 1912, which is not much use. I can see why the Victorians did not like Georgian buildings, they thought them 'bland', but I love them - I would love to have been around and seen it for myself.

I think that the above map of Dale End is probably what most of us would be familiar with albeit we would not have seen St Peters. Interestingly, if you pan a little further to the right, you will see Park Street Gardens and if you GE it you will be able to see that it is still there. Seemingly un-touched amidst the rampant development. Some things don't change much thank goodness.

Back