• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Road, Aston

elly

master brummie
I have just recieved a marriage certificate today for Arthur Webb the brother of John Webb, my Great grandfather:-

Arthur Webb married Rosina (known as Rose) Spurrier in 1904. They were both listed as living at 120 Park Road, Aston. I checked the 1901 census and this is Rose's parent's address.

In 1891 Rose and her family were listed as living in Clifton Road- My Webb family also has links with Clifton Road, having occupied 52 and 54 Clifton Road until the late 50s. I was thinking that because of this maybe Arthur and Rose knew each other as children.

However, looking through my records I notice that Arthur's Dad, George Webb, died at 118 Park Road in 1905 (Death was registered by Arthur's sister, Clara Lissaman, nee Webb)

I don't know the Aston area very well, and I know that most of it has been demolished, but was Park Road a step up or down from Clifton Road??

Would love to hear any memories/ photos of Park Road.

Many thanks

Elly I used to walk up Park road [or be pushed] with my mom at least once a week on our way to watch the bottles go round at Ansells brewery. We would then go down Litchfield road to get meat from Thompsons the butcher. Mom used to know a family by the name of Spurriers but it's in the distant past. There was to my memory a sweet shop just past the park on the right that sold ice cream served in scoops. They were the Brimmer family that owned it. The co-op was a little further up. I also went to school with the three Bloom girls. Jenny my age and Anne and her twin sister whose name I cannot remember. When I went on the 39 bus to town with my mom she would always go upstairs and sit at the front. The hill was very steep and I always imagined the bus would go so fast it would crash. I would sometimes go that way to Manor Park girls school. Bye. Jean.

Jean, you are a star. After reading your message I managed to locate an old street map of Aston, so have been able to follow your memories. Do you recall anything of the houses in Park Road??
I have just realised on another marriage certificate I have for Edward Webb and widow, Elsie Hart in 1920, that Elsie is listed as living at Victoria Terrace, Park Road- does this ring any bells?
Thanks again Jean, small memories really help to bring these places to life.

Elly the other end of Park road from where I lived, opposite the brewery was a small printing shop. The owners names were Hardwick. They had a daughter named Marion who now lives down south somewhere. I know it's where they hold the darts finals. My second cousins Ada and Julia Cole lived in a back to back at the top of the road left hand side going towards the brewery. I'm sure someone on hear can produce an old map. See if anything else comes to mind. Oh one thing I can remember when I was very young [and very naughty] I ran off from mom and she ducked down one of those very long entrie. Was I frightened. Hence to say I never did it again.[ I don't think so]. Jean.

Yes as a friend of Jeans I new Park rd, we used to have to walk down it from Manor Park Girls School to go to to play tennis and hockey, we went in the side gate there. You could walk up it and half way Victoria rd crossed it where we would go swimming or if you carried on down you came to Aston Cross. If you turned right when you got to the Cross by Ansell's I would go to my nans in Tower rd, and if I went left I would be on Litchfield rd were I later worked. My Dr's Dr Topping was half way up Park rd and I think there was a chemist opposite, memories fade a bit. I too new the Bloom family.

Jean you have just jogged my memory, opposite the brewery by the 39 bus stop( to go back up the hill towards Witton) my aunts used to have shops, One was Bliss's the record shop and the other a f
couple of shops up was her daughter Marge's shop that sold household things a right little treasure trove when you were little it was like an Aladdin's cave to me

Starting to ring a few dorment bells now Pat. When you mentioned our hockey and tennis days do you remember having to walk past the woodyard down the side street in our hockey skirts and the blokes inside used to wolf whistle us. I'm sure Mrs Bond thought it was at her. Bye. Jean.

Elly not a problem it brought back some lovely memories other than the time mom ducked down that entry. I asked for it didn't I. If anything comes to mind I will post it on the thread for you. JEAN.

On the 1891 census my grt grandfather had a shop 148 Park Road Aston. Apart from his 2 sons he also had to 2 other assistants, plus a domestic servant. Has someone please got a map of that time so I can see where about it was and how big it would have been. Many thanks.

The 1890 and 1892 Kellys do not list a shop at 148. I am wondering though whether it was a "double" shop 148, 150 Park road. In that case it would be George Taylor grocer, listed as 150. Would that be your ancestor?

Mikejee many thanks, yes it is George Taylor - he actually moved from a shop at 2 Lichfield Road to Park Road. Carol

I am fairly sure, but not certain that the building in red . close to albert Road is Taylors the grocers. My slight doubt is that i would have expected it to be next door in the empty space, but n o building was there in this period.

Mike on the 1891 census it shows Park Road lower numbers down to No.1. Then straight to 144 Park Road as butchers, 146 Drapers and then 148 Grocers and then nothing until 156 which was a tobaconist.

Most of the Kellys. except some later ones, are similar, which is why (together with a blank space on the map) I was prepared to accept that the building in red was 148/150 ( Taylors whichever). However there is always the possiblity that a building on the map , & possibly in Kellys, was not lived in, and therefore was not listed on the census. Sometimes census takers listed properties as "empty", or some other term, if no-one was living there, but not always. It was that proviso that made me say I wasn't absolutely certain. mike

Hi Mikejee
I wonder can you help me. Would you happen to have a street map for New John Street West from anywhere between 1920 to 1950. My Nan, Grandad and my Mother lived in 1939 at 4 court 109 and then 1945 to 1950 at 132 New John St West.
It would be nice to know where about she live. I wonder was wondering where in relation to Lucas it was.

Many Thanks Stars

Here is a map from around 1913 showing, in red, where no 132 was (assuming it posts). It isn between Well St and Gt Hampton Row on the south side of the street I cannot find court 109 in New John ST West., either on maps, in Kellys or on electoral rolls. Sometimes courts are also known by names or as "back of" and so recorded. If you give me the name of the person, i will try and search in the electoral rolls to find what the court was called in them

map_c1913_showing_109_and132_new_john_st_west~0.jpg

Have just seen your entry in the Key Hill thread, and realised it was George Greatrex. Electoral roll for 1939 gives him with doris Greatrex at 109 NJSW., so maybe there was a mixup with the number of the house. As i said previously , I could not find a court 109. I will repost the map in the previous post with 109 in blue
PD I thought by deleting first map from album I would delete from post, but it did not, so now i have two maps in last post !!

Hi Mikejee
Many thanks for your time. I am sorry i perhaps should of explaned it a bit better. The George & jane Greatrex in Key Hill is my Gt Nan & Grandad from Unett St. The George Andrew Greatrex & Doris Greatrex ne (harvey) were at NJW. My nan remarried in 1955 to a Thomas Toal. So that is why there are Greatrex, Harvey & Toal in NJW. I hope that makes it a bit clearer. The Maps are great. Once again Thank you for your time

regards Stars

hi folks here are some new pics of park road aston... although i am from aston i do not know park road so im hoping some of you that do can chat about it.. as some of you know its not easy taking photos of photos so i changed the colour mode on my camera to black and white..think they have come out a bit better...carol i hope you spot this thread...enjoy ps dont worry about the caption also saying bordesley green road it just means that i also have photos of that road in the same folder as the park road photos

lyn

Attachments

• PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 001.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 001.JPG
    604.8 KB · Views: 127
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 002.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 002.JPG
    621.6 KB · Views: 128
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 003.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 003.JPG
    540.2 KB · Views: 119
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 004.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 004.JPG
    545 KB · Views: 128
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 005.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 005.JPG
    556.9 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
next 5

Attachments

• PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 006.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 006.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 96
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 007.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 007.JPG
    585.5 KB · Views: 101
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 008.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 008.JPG
    541.3 KB · Views: 94
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 009.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 009.JPG
    526.9 KB · Views: 96
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 010.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 010.JPG
    441.2 KB · Views: 96
next 5..ive forgotton the name of the school could someone help please..

Attachments

• PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 011.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 011.JPG
    493.9 KB · Views: 89
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 012.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 012.JPG
    497 KB · Views: 89
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 013.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 013.JPG
    502.1 KB · Views: 83
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 014.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 014.JPG
    532.1 KB · Views: 95
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 015.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 015.JPG
    568.9 KB · Views: 86
next 5

Attachments

• PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 016.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 016.JPG
    459.4 KB · Views: 89
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 017.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 017.JPG
    596.8 KB · Views: 83
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 018.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 018.JPG
    569 KB · Views: 82
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 019.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 019.JPG
    530.1 KB · Views: 81
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 020.jpg
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 020.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 86
pic 1 post #12 is Aston Cross opposite the clock tower, my late Wife worked at George Masons next door to the co-op, occasionally when I met her from work I would nip in Wimbushes and treat myself to a cake with the wonderful smells of HP Sauce and Ansell's brewery in the background. pic 5 post #13 shows other end of Park Road opposite St Peter St Pauls church where my Grandmother, Mother and one of my sisters all were married, also my sister in law Edna. I have lived in both Queens Rd and Vicarage Rd both close to Park Rd, we would catch the 3X tram (later the 39 'bus) to the city centre from tram/bus stop junction Sycamore Rd and Park Rd. Happy days !! Eric

Lyn, the school looks like Aston Manor Girls school in Vicarage Rd (parallel to Park Road) but could be wrong, its a long time ago. My late Wife Doreen was there from 1933 to 1942 Eric

Last edited:
Thanks Lynn they are great. I wonder if anyone of the shops shown were my grandfathers 148/150 Park Road (as per Mike's post No 4)

hi ya carol yes thats what i was wondering...maybe mike could see if he can work out if any of the shops in the photos was your grandads...no point me having a go i need a sat nav to get round my back garden lol

lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
Lyn, the school looks like Aston Manor Girls school in Vicarage Rd (parallel to Park Road) but could be wrong, its a long time ago. My late Wife Doreen was there from 1933 to 1942 Eric

yes thats its eric...aston manor school thanks for jolting my memory

Back