• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham buses

3225 is definitely seen at Moseley Road following complete refurbishment as an apprentice training exercise. Interesting is that although then owned by West Midlands PTE it was outshopped with Birmingham City Transport legal lettering which was later changed and now reads West Midlands Travel, the present owner.

Hi Folks

Surely thats Islington Row coming up to Five Ways at Edgbaston, but I think the bus must have been on divertion it normal route is Broad St.

Ray

It is between the council house extension (on the right) and the old central library (the corner is just visible on the left) having just passed under the first section of bridge which (now extended) holds the present central library. The road was originally called New Congreve Street, but is now part of Paradise Circus Queensway.

Last edited:
I agree Alf post 782 brings back so many memories. My grandmother lived just opposite the shops. The bus stopped outside the shops, we would go up Jayshaw Avenue into Waddington Avenue where she lived. We went every Thursday I think on a Walsall bus from Sutton. We went to these shops often to get groceries for Grandma

I really cannot believe what i saw on page 8 of this thread.About halfway down are a series of old brum buses 5 in a row,the first one is of the no 68,which was one of the buses i used to catch to school along with the no 17,my school being Cockshut Hill Boys as it was then.I haven,t been a member of this site very long and as you do i was looking at all the threads,which obviously took some time,anyway getting back to that photo,and on the top deck on the right hand side of the bus is me!!!! I,m absolutly gobsmacked i,ve shown it to mom and dad and they knew it was me as well.The photo would have been taken about 1973/74 the guy sat opposite me looks like Pete garratty,we used that bus together,and i,ve studied the face just behind me and that looks like Steve connor again we all knocked about together,so unbelievable it,s at the bus stop by Barrows rd roundabout/shops....spooky ....my wife says it,s defnitly me,we met a couple of years after the photo was taken.I look as though i,m actually looking looking at the cameraman,but can,t recall it, mind you it was 35 odd years ago.What are the odds of me finding this?...skiddy

.View attachment 63891
Coming in from, and going out to the suburbs for 1d all the way. The picture shows a Horse Bus from Balsall Heath setting down passengers in Station Street on a windy day although it is high summer. The date is c.1893.

The pleasure is all mine Thylacine, my problem is that I am always doing more than one thing at a time and I do not use any sort of reference or record system so there is always the danger of me posting the same thing twice or re-posting some thing that someone else has already done.

The pleasure is all mine Thylacine, my problem is that I am always doing more than one thing at a time and I do not use any sort of reference or record system so there is always the danger of me posting the same thing twice or re-posting some thing that someone else has already done.

Better twice than not at all, especially for recent newcomers like me, regards Reg

Hello Paul, I keep finding bits and pieces as I go through my books and paraphenalia. It's not that I have a houseful, it's just that I am sewing a complicated pattern at the moment so I keep stopping and looking through one of my books or a few pictures that were put between the pages a few years ago.

View attachment 63968Once again I may have used this picture before. What I am doing now is, if I post an image I then put that one with all the others I have posted. That way I can only use each one once.

Looks like a wedding Ragga. The lady on the top deck is wearing one of those half hats ( don't know the proper name for them) which were popular at weddings in the early/mid 1960s). Viv.

Would any of the bus men know where the bus was based it may give some idea of which side of the town we are in.The houses are the exact style as my own and are 30s built I would say. Dek

The car behind looks like an Austin/Morris 1100 to me and the bus is in Birmingham Corporation livery both of which would date the picture to about mid 1960s. However if this is a private hire function, I would have thought that the Corporation would have provided a newer bus than the one shown.

For those who may not be familiar with "Flickr" there are some incredibly interesting photographs that all PSV enthusiasts will find really interesting, along with many many other items. I am a keen contibutor, and ft anyone wants to see my contributions then can I suggest you do a search for "sheds1" without the apostrophes and all lower case. I have sent others a link but it would only show one image, so doing it this way might show all the images I have postes so far

The photo was taken during an enthusiasts tour in the 1960s (hence the use of an elderly and interesting vehicle, a Crossley, made in Manchester). The two chaps on the pavement are (L) Brian Baker and (R) Peter Hardy, both sadly no longer with us.
I am probably on the bus somewhere downstairs. (I prefer 'listening to the music' to seeing over fences.)

Back