• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

CROWN GREEN BOWLING

Mike - I like Crown Bowling much more than flat, here it is mostly flat.
We tried for years to get an out door green here in town but no luck. It is a very short season, although there are greens at the towns either side of us.
I played a lot when I was young as my father was President of the Uplands Bowing Club for a while and looked after the green for many years. Mo

Hi Mo, Thanks for your reply, Here in the Midlands it is all Crown Green the flat green is down in the south of the U.K. The season is now finished here ( has been an awful summer) . I am starting indoor bowling this week , we play a short and long mat game. It keeps me out of mischief over the winter month's. Mike

Mike - The only in door bowling here is at the seniors centre so it is more like carpet bowling. There is a a facility in Toronto which is more like flat green and is done in alleys but it is a long way in the winter so I have never got involved. I remember the flat green down south when we went on holiday. Mo

HI mo, OUR INDOOR BOWLING IS DONE ON A CARPET LIKE SURFACE BUT IN ALLEYS, IT IS NOT SO DIFFICULT AS CROWN GREEN. IT IS STILL GOOD FUN.
Mike

Hi Mo , Have posted a picture of the short mat game , This is the type of surface we play on . Mike

Does Allen play Mike?. We had a go for a laugh when I worked at Wyndley but found them a bit too poash. Not my scene. Jean.

No Jean I did ask him when I started to play but he was not interested, he does not know what he is missing , I do enjoy the social side of it . Mike

Hi Mo, The white board in the middle , you have to avoid it i.e bowl round it, if you hit the it your bowl will not count. It is there because it is a short mat game and it makes it that more difficult. Hope thar explains it for you. Mike

Any one know any faces from this photo, what may or may not be the NEW INNS CROWN GREEN BOWLING CLUB SUTTON COLDFIELD.
I say this is the club as it has my brothering law Norman Hampton on it. Cannot remember him playing for any other club, DATE around 1950/60s

My brother played for years at The Greyhound, he's at The Drakes drum now, His name is Danny Keenan. My son Martin Maguire plays for the Greyhound.

Used to watch bowling at Ansells sports and social club. They had a very good team but it's been taken over by students now. JEAN.

It probably is the New Inns, I used to drink there and recognize most of the faces but cannot put names to them after so long. The only one I can name is Jack Twist second from the right on the back row.

Ni Maggie the New Inns Mere Green. now called The Butlers Arms.

Hello fellow Brummies and bowlers,
I play bowls for the R.S.J.C. bowling club now based in Rubery. I have bowled matches at the "Three Magpies" the "Greyhound" and lots of the greens around Brum. Bowls is a great game where anyone of any age or gender can be matched against any opponent. This is a game where getting on is sometimes a distinct advantage. All ages play, for instance I have played nine year olds and ninety year olds,

There are bowling greens in the most unusual places, and in the Black country there are some real corkers, mostly adjoining real old fashioned pubs, if you want to go back in time go and have a look at some of them. The bowls used to be made of Lignum Vitie, but the Yanks in their wisdom flattened most of the forests in Vietnam where the wood came from, if you can get hold of a set of wooden bowls treasure them.
And also dont forget "Old bowlers never die they only lose their bowls"

Many regards,

Graham.

The New Inns is longer a pub (!) but a restaurant. Another one bites the dust!

Hi All

Can anyone help with information on the old bowling green in Stirchley located behind the old swimming baths and meeting house, which is part of Stirchley Park.

There is now only a faint outline where the green used to be and the builds have been demolished.

Degsy

Ex-Workmate and Friend John, with his trophy after winning in the mixed doubles at Torquay, he is the one with the beard and Trophy & does`nt he look happy!. Len.

Last edited:
' evening all,
Has The Holly Bush, Quinton still got a crown bowling green? My dad travelled right across Brum from Bordesley Green to Quinton twice a week to bowl there for seven or eight years between about 1957 and1965. His big mate was Bill Young. db84124

My brother is a very keen crown green player and has played all over Brum. I'll have to ask him.

just wondered if any of the forum members bowled at the Tally in the last couple of years

Played there many moons ago - but long before you ran the place Maggie - crown mind - not that flat rink stuff - they had both at the Tally if memory serves.

Back