• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sutton Park

IMG_4981edit.jpg
We took the grandchildren for a walk around Blackroot today it looked lovely!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wendy it looks lovely do the still have the annual swim in Blackroot on christmas for a short period of my childhood i lived in Walmley Rd we used to go there and watch them break the ice swim over to the raft and back completely mad but it was tradition. Dek

I remember that too Derek but not sure if it's still done. The ice was quite thick and no sign of the raft now.

I love the place so many happy memories. I remember skating on Blackroot in 1969 and today reminded me of it.

I never skated on Blackroot because the water looked deep. I skated several times on Wyndley Pool which wasn't so deep and one time when the ice gave way I was only in up to my chest in 3 foot of water and 1 foot of the blackest mud I'd ever seen. I think 6 others went through with me and after wringing out our clothes we stood, drinking 'hot Bovril' in front of an open fire in a cafe that used to be there. There are a few pics in the Ice Rink thread of skating on Wyndley Pool.

Yes Phil that was one of the pools i also fell in & was dryed out in front of that fantastic log fire in the old Wyndly Cafe, did you ever skate by the headlights of the cars parked along the dam wall? HAPPY DAYS REMEMBERED ONCE MORE

Re: Victoria road

I lived at 67 Victoria Road from 1949 to 1960. Happy memories of" the lane" that ran behind the houses on the odd numbers side and the smell of roasting coffee from the green hut.

I remember Wyndly garden centre when it was in Blake Street. My friend's family had a farm near by it's a housing estate now.

Hi Baron i lived in Sutton for part of my youth went to Victoria Rd old School in the early 50s do you remember the boggy ground by the back entrance to the fair on Clifton Rd we used to paddle in there and catch newts by the hundred spent many happy days in the park what a loverly place it was . Dek

Hi Dek, My wife went to the school before Ryland Bedford, and yes I do remember, also remember the little paddling pool by the stream at the main gate, that would have made a great ice rink in this weather Why o why cannot we in the UK make the best of winter sports when the snow & ice come. It may be bad on the roads but all those empty palces could keep the kids happy & some OLDER KID may Ii add. Ha Ha

OK, I'm sitting on the other side of the world so bare with me. I'm walking from Blackroot pool towards the paddling pool and Sutton Main Gate and on the left was some sandstone rocks. If you stand next to them you'll see a boy climbing his way to the top, calling out to the enemy above to surrender and release the fair maiden or else, remember? Thanks for the memories, David.

With all this snow and freezing temperatures it took me back to the winter of 62/63 when a group of us lads walked out on the ice to the island on Bracebridge then proceeded to walk round the lake and, then did the same at Blackroot!! balmy or what. just cant see the danger at a youthful age...

When I skated on Blackroot they used to test the ice and we were only allowed in one area of the lake.

I never skated on Blackroot because the water looked deep. I skated several times on Wyndley Pool which wasn't so deep and one time when the ice gave way I was only in up to my chest in 3' of water and 1' of the blackest mud I'd ever seen. I think 6 others went through with me and after wringing out our clothes we stood, drinking 'hot Bovril' in front of an open fire in a cafe that used to be there. There are a few pics in the Ice Rink thread of skating on Wyndley Pool.

I can remember some boys falling into Wyndley pool when the ice gave way, maybe it was the same time that you had your misshap oldmohawk!!
I lived just round the corner in Clifton Road. I can't recall the owner's name who had the cafe, can anyone else?
I also went to Riland Bedford. Does anyone recall Jane Davis, Joan Abbott or Cherry Barlow?

I loved the park and our garden backed on to it, though I kept to the Clifton Road side of it as my Mother put terrible warnings into my head if I dare venture futher.......... but I did go to Keepers once!!! Happy memories.

Ray the video was great I was transported back to when my brothers used to take me sledging at Holly Knoll........The photo's of Wyndly are lovely as well.

Brilliant it reminds me our Dad built us a sledge the runners were metal pipes bent round we used to polish them for more speed! What great days!!:)

Thank you so much for the video link and for the photographs. I remember the ford and the bridge so much.

Back