• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brookvale Park & Witton Lakes

Witton Lakes in 1834

The first Ordnance Survey map published in 1834 (below) shows that the Witton Lakes as we know them were already there. At the time the map was made the whole area was in the vast parish of Aston, in the county of Warwickshire.
The Hawthorn Brook drained the south-east part of what became Kingstanding and Perry Common, and a strip of parkland was left either side of it when those estates were built up in 1929-35. Gipsy Lane was already in existence, and it looks as if there was a single building next to the Lake near the bend in the road. Although it is not marked as a forge or mill, as others are, perhaps it was. I don't remember any traces of a building there in my day 60 years ago.
The lakes must have been man-made, but we don't know why they were built. The Birmingham Waterworks Company was authorised to take water from the Hawthorn Brook by Act of Parliament in 1826, but it was not used, and the powers relating to it lapsed.
It can hardly have been for water supply, and can only have been for industrial or agricultural purposes-perhaps for breeding fish.
Beyond the dam, the overflow trickled southwards towards the river Tame, and 18th-century Witton Hall already stood at the junction of the future Brookvale Road and George Road (although the latter was just a track which continued on the west side of the brook to the next pool and Witton Forge).
Peter

Witton Lakes in 1904

The Third Edition Ordnance Survey map, as revised in 1906-07 (below) shows Witton Lakes as they were at that time. By that time the site had been acquired by the Birmingham Waterworks Company, which renewed its powers in 1855 and in the next two or three years built a pump house near the corner of Perry Common Road and Bleak Hill Road and laid pipes up to a new reservoir at the top of the hill in Reservoir Road.
In 1870 the upper lake held 11.5 million gallons of water, was 6 acres in area and 8 feet maximum depth and the lower lake held 36 million gallons, occupied 13 acres, maximum depth 13 feet. Together with the next reservoir in what became Brookvale Park, a total of 2.5 million gallons were supplied daily.
The Water undertaking was taken over by Birmingham Corporation on 1 January 1876, although the property was in the Parishes of Aston and Erdington (the brook formed the boundary, after Erdington became independent of Aston in 1858). In late 1904 the Elan Valley reservoirs were opened to replace the local souces of supply, but were kept in reserve. Birmingham was extended in 1911 to take over both Aston and Erdington, but it was not until 1926, when the surrounding area was becoming built up, that the lakes were opened to the public for recreational purposes.
Peter

Witton Lakes in 1929

Just found this aerial photo taken in about 1929 when the Perry Common estate had just been built and before College Road was widened, or anything else built on the far side, apart from the Isolation Hospital. It shows the upper lake on the bottom left of the pic, with the pumping house which I always thought was very impressive. There is just a modern brick shed there now.
Peter

Thanks for those two postings, map and aeriel photo, Peter. Gradually the pieces are falling into place on the development of this area. I suppose there were Gypsies camped in Gypsy Lane at one time. My parents' house at the top of Woolmore and Hidson Road was built in 1935. There could well have been a Mill on Gypsy Lane....more research on that. I remember the Pump House very well and wasn't it used very briefly in the early l950's when some repair work was done to the Elan Valley water supply. There was also a small MEB substation close by which my Father attended on his territory. Always mysterious those substations.

On the other side of Gypsy Lane near to Boulton Walk and kitty corner to Erdington Hall was property owned by R.M. Douglas (Civil Engineering) Ltd. as it was for many years. The Boulton Walk entrance to this property contained an old farmhouse that Douglas's had renovated into offices but retained a lot of the original house inside. I worked at RMD for a couple of years in the late l950's and we used to have our on-site Xmas Dinner in the Farmhouse section of that building. It had beamed ceilings I remember.. I believe it was the remains of Shenstone Farm. Do you know anything about that farm or that farmhouse please?

Thanks for all this Peter.

Brookvale Park in 1834

The first Ordnance Survey map published in 1834 (below) shows a very different landscape from what exists today. The Hawthorn Brook drained the south-east part of what became Kingstanding and Perry Common, passed through the Upper Witton pool, as the present-day Witton Lakes were then called, and continued towards the river Tame near Salford Bridge. After crossing beneath what became Brookvale Road on the right and Marsh Hill on the left, past 18th-century Witton Hall on the right, and Witton Slade on the left, (which must have given its name to the later Slade Road), the brook continued to the Lower Witton pool, which had been dammed to provide water power to blow the Witton Forge. After that it carried on past Safford (later Salford) House, higher up on the left, and veered left to join the river Tame, just opposite Aston Reservoir, recently built by the Birmingham Waterworks Company to supply Birmingham with piped water for the first time.
George Road as we know it today did not exist, but there was a track on the other side of the brook leading south from Witton Hall to Witton Forge, where it crossed the dam and passed eastwards over a ridge to reach the future Slade Road. The water company was authorised to take water from the Hawthorn Brook by Act of Parliament in 1826, but it was not used, and the powers relating to it lapsed.

Brookvale Park, 1870 - 2006

The Second Edition Ordnance Survey map shows the site as it was then, after the Birmingham Waterworks Company had taken over the forge, and built a new dam to enlarge the mill pond to form a reservoir, which was known as Witton Lower Reservoir. It occupied 17 acres, had a maximum depth of 12.5 feet and held 21 million gallons.
George Road was built along the east side of the brook and reservoir, to replace the track on the other side.
The Water undertaking was taken over by Birmingham Corporation on 1 January 1876, although the property was in the Parishes of Aston and Erdington (the brook formed the boundary, after Erdington became independent of Aston in 1858). In late 1904 the Elan Valley reservoirs were opened to replace the local sources of supply. The Urban District of Erdington acquired the lake and surrounding land, laid it out as a pleasure park to serve the growing population in the area. The park was opened on 7 October 1909, which included over 17 acres of lake and 15 acres of land.
Birmingham was extended in 1911 to take over both Aston and Erdington, and it was about this time that the terrace of tunnel-back houses was built along George Road facing the park. The higher land behind these houses was used between the wars to build a school and Neville Road was built with semi-detached houses. The higher land on the western side of the park was used as allotments until the 1960s, when the motorway and North Park Road were built.
I can remember walking in 1957 from Brookvale Park over the lane that gave access from George Road to the allotments, crossed the canal and joined Deykin Avenue end-on next to the GEC factory. That was long before we knew anything about a proposed motorway there.
Peter

Any one have a pic; of the baths in Brookvale Park, my Mom & Dad used to tell us about how they used to swim there, I remember fishing off what remained of them in the mid 1950s
I had a news paper cutting some year's ago which showed these, but like a lot of many other oddment it has  gone missing.It seems the remains of the baths have now gone completely .
I bet  Alf or postie will come up with the goods.
Thanks ASTON
ps Any one remember an american G.I. getting drowned there ?l

I was brought up as a child living in one of the houses in Brookvale Park.
I had my own duck called Priscilla which was white with black wings. I loved that duck , but it met a sad end.
Does anyone remember the " bus shelter" with the sand pit behind it and the thatched roof. A bit dangerous so we were told, but fun to climb on.
The lido when I was small was a place that the lads used to rule. Climbing over it and swimming around it. It was a wreck really ,and they used explosives to demolish it.
The boat house and band stand was a favourite place to play. I used to balance on the beams surrounding the bandstand. Not clever by any standards because there was a 20 foot drop to the landing stage for the rowing boats.
There were several bodies pulled from that area during my growing up. We were never allowed near obviously, but I distinctly remember the one pulled from under the wooden jetty. Mr. Scudamore was the park keeper. he lived in the black and white house  Brookvale road end by the paddling pool.
Our house was Park road end, and was tarraced with the yachting club house.
There were allotments at the back of the house and me and my sister used to have a little gap in our back hedge that we used to sneak through to explore the allotments and sheds.
Dad used to sell flowers by the G.E.C. security gate on Fridays through the summer.Mainly dahlias and gypsophillia.
There were several workers at the park , but I remember Auntie Barbara mostly. A small lady with big wellies. She used to look after the rose beds round the putting green.
Dad was superintendant of Aldridge road reccy for years and he would cycle there and back. It seemed to me to be miles away.

Hi BAB:
Was that "Bus shelter" with the thatched roof on the left hand side of the lake...he allotment side, about half way along? Also, which school did you attend?

Thanks BAB

BAB my wife went to Slade Road then Marsh Hill Grammar, I KNOW, you wouldnt expect this reading her writing would you(OUCH she just slapped me)

Jenny Bren aka BAB says your correct about the location of the Bus Shelter!!

Lynda Harvey Brena knew Mrs Lines. She says she used to wear flowery dresses, and have wavey hair. She seems to remember she liked cats too? Would she remember the chimney fire?

Was a bit suspicious Rod but really didn't twig to Bren (BAB) right away. Marsh Hill Grammar....now I don't know that one. Stockland Green was were people from Slade Road went when they closed their older student classes. My youngest brother went to Stockland Green.

My grandmother lived in farly road of the Ridgway and we spent many hours in brookvale and witton lakes parks in the 1940s

Here is the long awaited photo of the Witton Lakes Boathouse. On the left hand side upper floor was the small cafe which sold Pop and Ice Cream. I remember the Vimto which we never had the money to buy unless my brother and I went with my Uncle who would buy us a pop or an ice cream. The Park Keeper's house is off to the left hand side. This photo was taken around 1963 with an Instamatic camera.

Here are a couple of photos of Witton Lakes Park that I took one afternoon in the Spring of 2004. Both views remain virtually unchanged except for a missing spire, for as long as the park has been in existence. The photo looking down the left hand lake you can see the chapel spire in Witton Cemetery. Of course, there used to be two chapel spires until a few years ago but one of them was demolished.

The little beach on this photo is where most kids over the years caught the minnows that live in the lake. Happy days

The other photo is close to the Woolmore Road entrance and shows what we called the Boating Lake. In the long ago freezing snowy winters the hill was used for toboggoning by the local kids. In the summer they played cricket on the flat section.

I remember changing  in that boat house  ready to water ski one Boxing Day when the Brookvale water ski club were not able to Ski on Brookvale Park Lake. It was a one off  for winter Sking, as I have NEVER, NEVER, BEEN SO COLD. :smurf:

I have been looking for the one from back in October 2006. Found it at last,this pic is well before my time but my late Mom & Dad remembered it from there courting day.Any one else remember the swimming baths in Brookvale Park? & any one know why they closed?
ASTON

My first recollection of Brookvale Park would have been at the age of about 10, when I was allowed to explore almost anything I wanted, I am fairly sure the elaborate swimming pool had gone by then. It wouldn't have been very old, but perhaps it was taken down to avoid being used as a shelter for invading forces. That was relevant in 1940.
Peter

Jennyann looking at your photo's reply 47 nothing much has changed this postcard is looking North East
The Lake was Brums Reservoir water supply till the Elan Valley was in use in 1904

Crommie thanks for posting the pictures....my photos were of Witton Lakes Park and yours are of Brookvale Park. They are often confused because they are very close together.
The only changes in Brookvale over the decades that really stands out is the growth
of bushes and trees along the lake. I hope that the Parks Board keeps them trimmed back so that you can always see the water.

I never knew until I saw your photo of the swimming pool that is actually was a building. I always thought it was Open Air for some reason. The remains of it lingered there for years and people who lived locally said it was closed due to outbreaks of the infantile paralysis disease. I am not sure if that is true.

I don't remember boats actually being rented out by the public as far back as the late l940's. I think there were some drownings, another anecdotal type of story. I remember the rowing boats being around the boathouse for years.

I think the original concept of Brookvale was different when it opened. There was boating, a bandstand and tearoom. Not much for children to do such as swings and
playground. In fact it has lost those over the years. I remember a few rusty swings in the l980's. Hopefully, they have a playground for the children now. It was difficult to access the shoreline even years ago so children didn't fish in the main lake. The sailing club seems to have made a difference and it's nice to see the boats on the lake.

I hope that they have renovated the Parkies House. The place was looking very sad a couple of years ago and the garden was totally overgrown at the back. I remember it
as a very special house and the gardens were all laid out with seasonal flowers when it was in it's prime. Along the George Road side the railings were taken down a few years ago and I thought that made a huge difference. The houses have a very high value along there these days due to the super views and ideal walking and running areas of the Park. The other side of the Park where the allotments used to be never had any railings when they built the houses and flats there.

Thank you all for sharing those photographs and wonderful stories. I lived in the Ridgeway and at term time in the summer we would make some bread and jam sandwiches fill bottles of water and set off for the lakes, we stopped at Gypsy lane for a toffee apple or a toffee on a stick,(this was from a private house) i think they cost a penny, then we would carry on walking to the park where we would fish for tiddlers and walk out as far as we could into the water before we could feel the drop of the lake. Then it was off to the sandpits, out of bounds to children but we could not resist the good times that we had in there, often chased away by one of the workmen and quite rightly so.
In the winter like the rest of the kids we would tobbogan down the hill towards the boating lake. one year there were footprints leading across from one side of the lake to the other, it was an amazing sight to see. later as i grew older we would go boating on the lake then enjoy a warm drink and a chocolate cup cake in the cafe.
Looking back i think we Brummies were extremely lucky to have such wonderful parks to play in,. Happy days

A few old photo's of Brookvale.....again taken from somewhere off the internet some time ago......I am not sure if they are a photogaph or drawing....if they are drawing they a very good....

Places In The Park

Hi John K, when I first went to Brookvale Park in the 1940s it had not changed much from your posted pics.
I have if you do not mind marked up these pics with the areas I remember.
like the veiw of Highcroft on the hill up in Erdington, the areas were in later years I played puttig & crown green bowls, the rustic work by the band stand was still evident at that time, also the foundation of the old swimming pool which you can just see ni the distance half way up to the right. The old stone jetty also was still around for a number of years. in to the late 50s if my memory is correct.
ASTON

Last edited by a moderator:
When Reading These ,s Stories About The Parks
I Remember Seeing Huts Around The Parks , Or Little Houses
And I Would See olderly Gentleman Sitting In These Places In
Arm Chairs And May be Drinking Tea or Reading News papers
Or They Would Come OUT With There Friends AND Play
The Crown Green Bowlig
But Always You Would See A Sign WHICH Said Above The Door
SONS OF REST, Or Would Point Which Way To Go
But You Don,t See Them Any more WHY / ? .

Astonian,I think you do not see these any more for the reason that they would be burnt to the ground within weeks of being opened or that some poor gentelman would be mugged on his way to or from THE SONS OF REST.
The hut to the right of the right postcard was the sons of rest in Brookvale untill they built a new one just behind along the path that ran to the right.
offen use to play crown green in my lunch hour in that park, would take on any gent for a game if they wished,they were very good bowlers (years of practice )

My Dad was a member of the Sons of Rest in Brookvale Park in the later years of his life. Their premises were located off the main path at the George Road end where it curved around to the gardens and at one time, bandstand.
The men played billiards and card games, etc. and celebrated special events on holidays and Xmas. My father had had so many good times in Brookvale Park with his friends, brothers and my Mom over the years. They used to walk over the spare land and allotments from Wyrely Road to get to the Park in their youth. The place meant a lot to him and when the Midlands Electricity Board relocated one of their departments to George Road, at the old Bandstand end of the Park, my father used it as his headquarters after being moved over from Chester Street to MEB George Road. He loved going there because it was so close to the Park.

Back