• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Phillips Street Aston

ray thanks what a fantasic pic of my old house it has give me goose bumps looking at it
regards pete

Pete nice seeing pictures of your old house. My mom lived in ours untill she died eight years ago but my goodness hadn't things changed over the years. Bye. Jean.

Ray.....What great photo's....I will pass these on to ex member JKC...Aston Lad through and through.....I did post on another thread if you have any photo's of the surrounding streets....Clarendon,Parliament,Upper Webster Streets...Parklane..The Retreat...Upper Thomas Street...Sutton Street (Upper)...if you have please please can you post them....my old mate JKC will be over the moon..and I can get a drink out him....Ta Scott

the pics are fantastic.would love a pic of the scrap yard op our old house.were i used to get tin trays from.and slide down the hill from the retreat to phillips st.when there was waste ground there.
pete

Yes I think I have got Upper Thomas St. Park Lane, Sutton St.

Ray.....What great photo's....I will pass these on to ex member JKC...Aston Lad through and through.....I did post on another thread if you have any photo's of the surrounding streets....Clarendon,Parliament,Upper Webster Streets...Parklane..The Retreat...Upper Thomas Street...Sutton Street (Upper)...if you have please please can you post them....my old mate JKC will be over the moon..and I can get a drink out him....Ta Scott

yes i bet a good pic that of ansells.it reminds me of the days we used to sneak in and look for bottles of beer etc.one day we found some but it was not beer in the bottle yuk. served us right.

I can believe that Pete I knew some of the tricks they got up to there but wouldn't put them on hear. Pete was on the brewing there. I have an old magazine somewhere with Phillip street in but ain't got a clue where it's hiding at the moment. When we are all clear I will look for it. Jean.

hi ray , thanks for posting those pictures, my father in law
had a cafe next to belson stores - ansells brewery bottle stores, he was there in the early 60's, thanks again terry

hi.i can remember the cafe we used it.my friend lived there.later on in the 60s
they had a standard atlas van."no names"
pete

hi pete, thanks for your reply, i cant remeber the van but my wife & her sister used to run the cafe, would you remeber the barlows family , they where freinds of mine , they lived on the oppersite side near to aston rd ,terry

the name does ring a bell.was it on the right by the stone masons?looking down phillips st.i used to keep a old morris 8 around the back of them houses.the access was next to mca.the cafe was run by mr hu****n he had daughter named t**a that was about 1967/8

Hello Pete. So you were an Aston Lad ? I was always understood to believe
that Aston was a rough old quarter, but then I suppose any area outside your own area was rough. I am very pleased for you that you found a photograph of your old house. I did not know that area very well except for New John Street were I used to take scrap iron and rags for a few pennies.
Sorry pete just seen your locations under your tractor.

hi pete,
looking up phillips st from aston rd they lived in the first house on the left hand side, there was a passage which was the back of the shops in aston rd terry

Ray do you or anyone else happen to have a picture of Copely street....love all the pictures of the surrounding streets bringing back lots of memories...as l've said before we'd have all taken pictures had we known everything was going to disappear, l left in 1958 just before everything started to change and even though l have pictures in my mind of Aston how it used to be its nice to have some pictures for backup....Brenda

Hi Ray,
Great pictures some of which I remember. Don't suppose you have any of nearby Bracebridge Street by any chance?
I wonder if the Barlows that Terry mentioned includes Stella Barlow who is on my St. Mary's School class picture?

Last edited:
hi.anyone.re our house in phillips st.in the back garden was a big block of concrete,with a manhole type cover on,under the cover was a ladder going down into a air raid shelter.there was rows of wooden seats down there.
we used it as a den.wearing smelly old gas masks.witch was there.4 other gardens shared this place.at the top of the garden was a 3foot wall,over this wall was the brook,when it rained we would look over and wait for the flood the rush down bringing all the rubbish people had thrown in.about 10Ft across
was the building of millers, were men stood all day polishing head lamps etc.they were filthy faced.but nice they always waved.then there was the hooter that sounded at dinner time.next door was the caretaker.is son and i were mates.at the weekends we would have a look around the factory.the door was in is garden.there was strange test rigs in there,a modifide upside down bike for testing dynamo's.lol.across the road was a scrap yard that rolled there old wagons out to start em.one morning.one of them ran straight into my dads 3 wheeler parked ouside.smashed it to bits.
happy times hey. pete

ernie.if you have a tardis by all means go to that old house.and if i am in i will give you a cuppa.lol

ernie i know you are full of suprises. when you are going let me know i would like to meet myself . when i lived there lol

Sorry Brenda I've look through my collection no Copely Street

Ray

Ray do you or anyone else happen to have a picture of Copely street....love all the pictures of the surrounding streets bringing back lots of memories...as l've said before we'd have all taken pictures had we known everything was going to disappear, l left in 1958 just before everything started to change and even though l have pictures in my mind of Aston how it used to be its nice to have some pictures for backup....Brenda

Another set of wonderful pictures of Aston Ray. The Talford Pub was on the corner of Phillips Street and Talford Street and looking up Talford Street you can see the outdoor which was run by Mr. Roberts.

Bren - if you look between the Talford and the Outdoor you will see the coalyard run by your family.

Brenda - there are some photos of our street on the old Astonbrook through Aston Manor site, posted under Copeley Street by Geoff Wassall, Minnie's son.

Hi

I have just found that my Great Great Grandfather's brother Linneus Cutler (jnr) ran the "Talfourd Arms" 48 Phillips Street around 1884. He had moved from the Britannia 287 Lichfield Road. He had been there from around 1872 until 1884.

Happy New Year, Pedro

Back