• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ward -Frederick and Emma (nee Fleet)

Clareybear

proper brummie kid
Hello,
I am looking for descendants of Frederick and Emma Ward circa 1860
Their children were Albert, Arthur, Ernest, Frederick, Bertha, Daisy, Emma, Ethel, Lily, Mabel
They lived in Aston, Bordesley and Harbourne.
I'm struggling to find much info on most of them.

Thanks,
Clare

Possibly 4 other children (italics) that died young, Bertha married an Alfred Thompson and had children, will look at the others and add spouses if I can...

Frederick William 1878 - 1881
Alice 1879 - 1879
Florrie Emma 1881 - 1881

Bertha 1882, married Alfred Thompson and had children
Arthur 1884, possibly never married.
Frederick 1886
Beatrice 1888 - 1889
Lily 1890 - 1893
Albert 1892, possibly married Clara Hall (a widow) no children.
Mabel 1894, married Wilson G Meddings and had children
Ethel (twin) 1896
Maud (twin) 1896 - 1897
Emma 1898, possibly married Thomas Philip Salter and had 1 son
Daisy 1899, known
Ernest 1902, possibly never married.

Last edited:
Possibly 4 other children (italics) that died young, Bertha married an Alfred Thompson and had children, will look at the others and add spouses if I can...

Frederick William 1878 - 1881
Alice 1879 - 1879
Florrie Emma 1881 - 1881

Bertha 1882, married Alfred Thompson
Arthur 1884
Frederick 1886
Beatrice 1888
Lily 1890
Albert 1892
Mabel 1894
Ethel (twin) 1896
Maud (twin) 1896 - 1897
Emma 1898
Daisy 1899
Ernest 1902
Thanks for finding the extra children. I knew she had 15 but I was missing a few.
Daisy was my great grandmother so I do know about her family.
Its mainly just the others that didn't didn't die young that I am having trouble finding infomation on.
I appreciate your help

I can, at the moment, only find baptisms for the younger children. The others may not have been baptised or the records may not be online.
This seems to be a job lot - 3 in one go. Mabel, Albert and Emma
Bapt Mabel Albert Emma1898 Christ Church.JPG

Also:

Attachments

• Bapt Beatrice 1888 All Saints.JPG
    Bapt Beatrice 1888 All Saints.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Bapt Ethel 1896 St Cuthbert.JPG
    Bapt Ethel 1896 St Cuthbert.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Bapt Maud1896 St Cuthbert.JPG
    Bapt Maud1896 St Cuthbert.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 4
No dob's listed on the baptisms?

Without more info, name is just too common.
No - I posted all there is, The dates fit the births you found and the occupation for Frederick *bedstead maker/fitter" is the same as on te census. Plus address is the same as the 1901 census.
Ethel and Maud bapt 29 Oct 1896 as it only shows ditto marks.

Last edited:
There appear to be a number of trees on Ancestry that suggest that Emma, married a Thomas Philip Salter and though her year of birth on her death reg. seems to be wrong it looks like she's your Emma. I will add above.

This does appear to be correct as it looks like that Arthur and Ernest are living with her from 1945ish onwards at 164 Park Hill Road (ERs). Possibly meaning they never married.

Last edited:
There appear to be burial/cremation records for all the children that died young on Ancestry, mostly Witton but a couple Yardley. Don't think there's a lot of info on them, possibly just a copy of the council burials

There are also findagrave records for some of them as well, there doesn't even appear to be exact dod's though and I doubt there are markers of any kind.

There are a couple of probates/wills as well, one for Emma which I'd assume she'd leave most to her only child (Denis) and one for Denis himself, which may be more interesting to the OP because he doesn't appear to have married or had children.

Thanks so much to you both pjmburns/Janice and MWS. I truly appreciate the time you have both taken to find this information for me.

Clare

hi clare yes lets hope dennis made a will because it looks like he left quite a lot of money ...his address when died was 164 park hill road so the house could be part of his estate..i believe that after 30 years if no heirs are found the money goes to the government but all this needs confirming looks like he was cremated at lodge hill crem..his estate was not exceeding £125000

lyn

Last edited:
My comment about Denis's Will being interesting was not really about an inheritance (which would have been nice) but about the possibility of other relatives being mentioned.
yes i understood that mark...just thought a bit more info could be of interest to clare..do we know if there was a will?

lyn

Don't think there's anyway to tell unless you pay the £1.50.

Closest relatives (unless I missed something) would be cousins - 2 daughters of Mabel, 6 children of Bertha, ? children of Daisy, any children of Frederick or Ethel and cousins from his father's side. So potentially quite a few.

Names leading to Frederick or Ethel would be good but probably unlikely.

Don't think there's anyway to tell unless you pay the £1.50.

Closest relatives (unless I missed something) would be cousins - 2 daughters of Mabel, 6 children of Bertha, ? children of Daisy, any childrenui of Frederick or Ethel and cousins from his father's side. So potentially quite a few.

Names leading to Frederick or Ethel would be good but probably unlikely.
quite mark...so spending just £1.50 could prove useful

lyn

My comment about Denis's Will being interesting was not really about an inheritance (which would have been nice) but about the possibility of other relatives being mentioned.
Ah I see. I didn't realise it may potentially list relatives as they stopped listing the names on the probate records in the later years.

Yes, a bit frustrating that. At £1.50 though it's not expensive even if the Will/Probate is of no help. There may be no mention of relatives, he could have left everything to friends or charity.

I'm also struggling to read Frederick and Emma's Wedding record.
It says Frederick's father was also Frederick but I cannot read much more such as his occupation and the addresses.

Attachments

• fleetward.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 7.55.35 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 7.55.35 pm.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 6
I'm also struggling to read Frederick and Emma's Wedding record.
It says Frederick's father was also Frederick but I cannot read much more such as his occupation and the addresses.

Not great writing, Frederick's father occupation appears to be carpenter maybe. And address for both Frederick and Emma appears to be same, so possibly an address of convenience.

Also Emma seems to be the illegitimate daughter of a Sarah Ann Fleet. Joseph Fleet, shoe maker, being Emma's grandfather.

Back