• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Searching for my Uncle's grave.

I'm doing a lot of surmising.

Was John's wife called Catherine? Was he married previously? Were Kitty and Maureen John's children with Catherine? Were they born in England or Ireland?

Was John's wife called Catherine? Was he married previously? Were Kitty and Maureen John's children with Catherine? Were they born in England or Ireland?
Kitty is Catherine I think - wife not daughter.
The only birth reg I can find with mmn Leech is a Mary born in 1957

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS

John was married once to Kitty/Catherine, Kitty being a kind of shortened form of Catherine, they had one child in around 1957, Maureen a girl. As far as I know Catherine had not previously been married.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Ok this is possibly Catherine's funeral notice then...

He was born in Ireland, Catherine's birth place I do not know, Maureen was born in England!
So, could Maureen be Mary? I'm so sorry, this is getting confusing. I only ever heard her referred to as Maureen, it is not a name common to our family but Mary would be more likely. But it could be a name common in Catherine's family. What relatives Maureen/Mary might have on her Mother's side I have no information on!

The Death Certificate would show place of death; if a private address it would be reasonable to assume that's where he lived but of course if he died in hospital that would be no help. My wife reckons 3 Yew Tree Lane Solihull is still there (her memory is better than mine :() if so it's a bungalow. If you get the death cert and Solihull is the correct one I'll take a picture of it (Google Street View isn't much help as the properties are hidden by a hedge!)

The Death Certificate would show place of death; if a private address it would be reasonable to assume that's where he lived but of course if he died in hospital that would be no help. My wife reckons 3 Yew Tree Lane Solihull is still there (her memory is better than mine :() if so it's a bungalow. If you get the death cert and Solihull is the correct one I'll take a picture of it (Google Street View isn't much help as the properties are hidden by a hedge!)
Yes, I wish I could remember any details, but it's a long time ago and the only details I do remember are the little incidental ones that my Mother observed while there for the funeral. Lovely neighbours was one of those observations, red earth another and homemade wine which she didn't drink because she didn't drink but was impressed by so your Wife is an invaluable asset, please thank her for me!

Yes, I wish I could remember any details, but it's a long time ago and the only details I do remember are the little incidental ones that my Mother observed while there for the funeral. Lovely neighbours was one of those observations, red earth another and homemade wine which she didn't drink because she didn't drink but was impressed by so your Wife is an invaluable asset, please thank her for
John - listed before he died in 1983
Yes, could be, I'm sorry, I hadn't thought of that and it is possible!

Ok this is possibly Catherine's funeral notice then...

Yes possibly, pity it doesn't provide family information. The whole family, down to grandchildren, get listed here!

By the time he died they had moved from Yew Tree Lane Yardley to Harvard Road Solihull.

The death cert will show place of death and usual address. I would start by getting this death cert. Then, if correct person. we can consider burial places.

Yes possibly, pity it doesn't provide family information. The whole family, down to grandchildren, get listed here!
It does say funeral at St Thomas More's. This is the local RC church but burial wuld not have been there.
It also says committal (ie burial) at Robin Hood.

By the time he died they had moved from Yew Tree Lane Yardley to Harvard Road Solihull.

The death cert will show place of death and usual address. I would start by getting this death cert. Then, if correct person. we can consider burial places.
Yes, true!
It does say funeral at St Thomas More's. This is the local RC church but burial wuld not have been there.
It also says committal (ie burial) at Robin Hood.
Yes, having family listed would have helped to identify for sure, but if she is interned with John, then that would give his grave location.

I think it may be worth getting Catherine's death Cert as well as it would have the name and address of the informant, which with a bit of luck would be her daughter.

Yes, true!

Yes, having family listed would have helped to identify for sure, but if she is interned with John, then that would give his grave location.
You could contact the cemetery and give her dob and ask if they know if it was a famiy plot and if John was buried there. If they can give a location of the grave (hopefully on a map) then I can go and see if I can find it.

They are not very quick at replying.
1675440161234.png

I think it may be worth getting Catherine's death Cert as well as it would have the name and address of the informant, which with a bit of luck would be her daughter.
True, I'm trying now to order John's, but am having difficulty with place of death!

Yes, Maybe I could get his through her but if it's not her?

I think you can ignore the grey section
Fill n the GRO ref underneath
1675441764017.png
I got that from the info in posts #7 and 8

Click on "I know the GRO reference" then enter his name and the details as shown in #85 that way you don't get the red stars for dod
1675442575615.png

I quote "date of death must be a valid non future date in thr format dd/mm/yy".
I am working on my mobile, key pad is small and leads to inaccuracies, I also using mobile phone as tether for Internet which means double trouble. Have Gov websit on lap top. So am trying to research on one hand while maintaining link on the other.

Back