• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Mills

Thomasmills

knowlegable brummie
Hi I’m new to this forum and I thank you for letting me join. My father recently passed away Thomas Mills and I’m desperately trying to trace our family history/tree. I can confirm that he was born in 1937 to Kathleen (Bohanna) Mills and Thomas Alfred Mills, whom I believe both resided at 4 Back 77 Garrett Street, Birmingham. I also have another address where I believe Kathleen (Bohanna) Mills lived, possibly before marriage, 3 Anderson Street, Birmingham. My dad was one of 9, and he lost touch with his siblings when he was evacuated to Bolton during the war, along with his sister Margaret. I know he had a brother called Ronnie and Jimmy. I know some of his sisters names, which was Margaret, Sheila, Edna & Barbara, not sure of any other names. I would love to hear from anyone who can help me maybe trace them. Carol

hello carol and welcome to the forum...i have moved this thread to the surname interests section of the forum where you may get a better response as we have some very willing members happy to help...

lyn

Last edited:
I am having some difficulty in fitting these names and streets . In particular , there is no Garrett St in Birmingham, though there is a Garbett St and in the 1945 and 1947 electoral rolls a Kathleen & Thomas D Mills lived at no 8. Similarly there is no Anderson ST, though there are two Anderson roads, one Anderton Road and one Anderton St. There is also an Alderson Road. A Kathleen Gwynneth Mills lived at 99 Alderson road in 1935. Only some years electoral rolls are available online

Some of the children were registered in London. Three I can find not mentioned are Gwendoline (1930), Molly (1934) and Jean (1944).

I am having some difficulty in fitting these names and streets . In particular , there is no Garrett St in Birmingham, though there is a Garbett St and in the 1945 and 1947 electoral rolls a Kathleen & Thomas D Mills lived at no 8. Similarly there is no Anderson ST, though there are two Anderson roads, one Anderton Road and one Anderton St. There is also an Alderson Road. A Kathleen Gwynneth Mills lived at 99 Alderson road in 1935. Only some years electoral rolls are available online

Dad was born at 77 Dudley Road, which I believe was the hospital. Kathleen Mary Mills formerly Bohanna, his dad name was definitely Thomas Alfred Mills, occupation Builders labourer. The address I have was 4 Back 72 Garrbett Street, Birmingham, and Kathleen Mary Mills of 3 Anderton Street, Birmingham. Carol

Mills is not an easy name to trace with few details to go on.

There are a Thomas A and Kathleen Mills living on Ingleby St in the 1960s.

There is a death registered in Bham 1980 for a Kathleen Mills. This gives a dob of 27 Sep 1906 and searching for this on the 1939 register gives a Kathleen J Mills living at Inverness St, Camden with a Thomas A Mills.

This Thomas A Mills has a dob of 25th May 1903 and there is a matching death registration for a Thomas Alfred Mills in Bham 1974.

Dad was born at 77 Dudley Road, which I believe was the hospital. Kathleen Mary Mills formerly Bohanna, his dad name was definitely Thomas Alfred Mills, occupation Builders labourer. The address I have was 4 Back 72 Garrbett Street, Birmingham, and Kathleen Mary Mills of 3 Anderton Street, Birmingham. Carol
They are not at 4 back 77 Garbett st in the 1935 rolls or the 1939 rolls. The library will presumably have them on the original rolls, but these unfortunately are not online

Mills is not an easy name to trace with few details to go on.

There are a Thomas A and Kathleen Mills living on Ingleby St in the 1960s.

There is a death registered in Bham 1980 for a Kathleen Mills. This gives a dob of 27 Sep 1906 and searching for this on the 1939 register gives a Kathleen J Mills living at Inverness St, Camden with a Thomas A Mills.

This Thomas A Mills has a dob of 25th May 1903 and there is a matching death registration for a Thomas Alfred Mills in Bham 1974.
The dates would be correct for my fathers parents, My fathers birth date was 18th October 1937. Kathleen Mills and Thomas Alfred Mills moved from London to Birmingham in the early 60”s , so this information for me is quite exciting.

Tracing back from Thomas Alfred Mills should be straightforward, he was the son of Joseph Henry Mills and Caroline Vale.

I would also like to trace my fathers brothers and sisters, Ronnie Mills, Jimmy Mills, Edna Mills, Margaret Mills, Sheila Mills, Barbara Mills, marriage may have changed the sisters surnames, all probably born around the 1930”s

I would also like to trace my fathers brothers and sisters, Ronnie Mills, Jimmy Mills, Edna Mills, Margaret Mills, Sheila Mills, Barbara Mills, marriage may have changed the sisters surnames, all probably born around the 1930”s

The Mills/Bohanna or Bohann registrations I found are Molly, Gwendoline, Margaret Rose, Edna May, Thomas Alfred and Jean. Three in London & three in Birmingham. Can't find a Ronnie/Ronald, Jimmy/James, Sheila or Barbara.

There's a possible Barbara who could have been an illegitimate daughter of Kathleen but can't be sure. And if they were born somewhere other than England/Wales much more difficult to find.

And tracing Mills forwards with just those names and no other info is not easy.

Did they both also live in Birmingham?

Joseph Henry Mills was born in Studley, Caroline Vale was born in Birmingham.

Can't find anything on Kathleen Bohanna before her marriage. With a surname like hers even a slight change would make it difficult to track down. So more info on her would be needed.

The Mills/Bohanna or Bohann registrations I found are Molly, Gwendoline, Margaret Rose, Edna May, Thomas Alfred and Jean. Three in London & three in Birmingham. Can't find a Ronnie/Ronald, Jimmy/James, Sheila or Barbara.

There's a possible Barbara who could have been an illegitimate daughter of Kathleen but can't be sure. And if they were born somewhere other than England/Wales much more difficult to find.

And tracing Mills forwards with just those names and no other info is not easy.

Joseph Henry Mills was born in Studley, Caroline Vale was born in Birmingham.

Can't find anything on Kathleen Bohanna before her marriage. With a surname like hers even a slight change would make it difficult to track down. So more info on her would be needed.
My dad spoke often with regards Studley, so he possibly remembered visiting his grandparents

I found a 1907 birth registered in Devonport for a Kathleen Behenna but nothing else.
However, a look for the surname Bohanna suggests it might have Scottish origins. Their records aren't as easily traced.

A couple of possibilities.

I think that Sheila may well have been an illegitimate daughter of Kathleen as mentioned, registered Mar qtr 1928 some months before Kathleen & Thomas' marriage.

This Sheila Bohanna appears to marry a Melvin F Myers in 1944 and a daughter Maureen M Myers mmn Bohanna was registered Bham Sep qtr 1944. The rarity of the names argues against it being a coincidence. Melvin F Myers was an American soldier and Sheila and Maureen go to America in 1946,

Barbara may well have married an Albert T Green. On the 1965 electoral roll at 1 back 23 Ingleby Road with Thomas and Kathleen are an Albert and Barbara Green. There is a marriage registered for a Barbara J Mills to an Albert T Green, Sep qte 1952 Bham. Could be a coincidence but I doubt it and becoming Green makes it more difficult than Mills.

Still can find no birth registration for Barbara.

I found a 1907 birth registered in Devonport for a Kathleen Behenna but nothing else.
However, a look for the surname Bohanna suggests it might have Scottish origins. Their records aren't as easily traced.

She marries a Percy J W Parish in 1932.

There are a number of Bohanna in Lancashire but can't connect them.

There is a Thomas Bohanna who dies in Bham in 1947 but I can't connect him either.

I don't sorry, I know little about him and Vera died quite young after suffering from MS for a long time, she is on a photo of here mother's second wedding that I have in my file but I think it was taken maybe before she married.

Thank you, it’s so difficult, i very much appreciate your help, it would be so fitting for my dad to find out some of his family tree. He sadly lost touch with his siblings after the war, as he was never reunited back with Kathleen and Thomas his mum and dad. He spent his teens schooling in an all boys boarding school. For which I don’t know the name of.

I don't sorry, I know little about him and Vera died quite young after suffering from MS for a long time, she is on a photo of here mother's second wedding that I have in my file but I think it was taken maybe before she married.
Ahh Thank you, that’s very sad she died so young. I wonder where or what happened to Leonard

A couple of possibilities.

I think that Sheila may well have been an illegitimate daughter of Kathleen as mentioned, registered Mar qtr 1928 some months before Kathleen & Thomas' marriage.

This Sheila Bohanna appears to marry a Melvin F Myers in 1944 and a daughter Maureen M Myers mmn Bohanna was registered Bham Sep qtr 1944. The rarity of the names argues against it being a coincidence. Melvin F Myers was an American soldier and Sheila and Maureen go to America in 1946,

Barbara may well have married an Albert T Green. On the 1965 electoral roll at 1 back 23 Ingleby Road with Thomas and Kathleen are an Albert and Barbara Green. There is a marriage registered for a Barbara J Mills to an Albert T Green, Sep qte 1952 Bham. Could be a coincidence but I doubt it and becoming Green makes it more difficult than Mills.

Still can find no birth registration for Barbara.
Wow!! This is very interesting. Barbara’s marriage in 1965, and the address 1 back 23 Ingleby Road sounds a possibility!! My dads birth certificate states his dads address as 4 back 72 Garrett Street, Birmingham, maybe a coincidence!! I was born in 1962, my dad Thomas Alfred was at the time serving in The Queens Own Buffs in Kent, where he met my mum Rose Newman. The dates of my dad and Barbara seem likely.

You're a little confused there. Barbara married Albert T Green in 1952. They are living in Ingleby Road in 1965 at the same time as Thomas Alfred & Kathleen.

I don't know where they are between 1952 and 1965. Electoral rolls give no further details so though it seems likely that Barbara is their daughter it is not certain.

If she is their daughter then a marriage year of 1952 would suggest (unless she was illegitimate like Sheila) a birth year between 1928 & 1936.

I’m so sorry, it doesn’t take much to confuse me I misread, both their birthdates seem plausible!! My dad was born October 1937, I very much appreciate your help, thank you

Back