• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Corner Shops

Afternoon few while on lunch,
116 Crocketts Road in 1974, taken around Christmas window with fake snow - all you could need for the home and garden displayed outside and a nice painted sign on the wall and the yellow corporation grit bin on the side of the road

Attachments

• 116 Crocketts Road - 74.jpg
    116 Crocketts Road - 74.jpg
    840.3 KB · Views: 40
581 Bristol Road South from 1977, with a bicycle propped up outside. classic 20sh design, nice to note model shop next door, and a TV rental shop - what happened to them!

Attachments

• 581 Bristol Road South - 77.jpg
    581 Bristol Road South - 77.jpg
    679.1 KB · Views: 56
161 Holyhead Road in 1974, still a corner but a bit different, not a national tyre company in site - £3.75 for a tyre.
Corporation yellow painted drop side lorry doing a few street repairs, parked on the pavement not a barrier in site.

Attachments

• 161 Holyhead Road - 74.jpg
    161 Holyhead Road - 74.jpg
    611.9 KB · Views: 42
thanks steve great photos...bet folk wished a tyre today would cost that much

lyn

309 Stratford Road from 1969 towards the city.
Just to show what I am up against - I am not a photo shopper, what you see is what you get !!
Red pen shows where they wanted to put a new sign
Note the Jubilee Stores with the painted Ansells sign on the corner and a Woodbine sign on the side. moving closer a shoe shop and note the car at the traffic lights with the radiator cover to keep the cold out

Attachments

• 309 Stratford Road - 69 to city.jpg
    309 Stratford Road - 69 to city.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 51
534 Park Road Handsworth - 1975, general view mainly for the lamppost, old style telephone pole, and if you zoom in very close, old petrol pumps at the Texaco. Also note that the green cross code man is not Darth Vader ( David Prowse played Darth Vader and was the Green Cross code man)

Attachments

• 534 Park Road Hands - 75.jpg
    534 Park Road Hands - 75.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 43
309 Stratford Road from 1969 towards the city.
Just to show what I am up against - I am not a photo shopper, what you see is what you get !!
Red pen shows where they wanted to put a new sign
Note the Jubilee Stores with the painted Ansells sign on the corner and a Woodbine sign on the side. moving closer a shoe shop and note the car at the traffic lights with the radiator cover to keep the cold out
Starting with this one as I knew the site (junction of Stoney Lane with Stratford Road and Walford Road to the right) but struggled as junction has changed.
Two views here:
2008 with the shops and St Agatha's church in view
1611584846023.png
2020 Aldi sign visible in both and the church but those shops have gone.
1611584967371.png

Afternoon few while on lunch,
116 Crocketts Road in 1974, taken around Christmas window with fake snow - all you could need for the home and garden displayed outside and a nice painted sign on the wall and the yellow corporation grit bin on the side of the road
No longer a shop.
1611586354261.png

581 Bristol Road South from 1977, with a bicycle propped up outside. classic 20sh design, nice to note model shop next door, and a TV rental shop - what happened to them!
Having trouble locating the site at the moment - so watch this space!!

161 Holyhead Road in 1974, still a corner but a bit different, not a national tyre company in site - £3.75 for a tyre.
Corporation yellow painted drop side lorry doing a few street repairs, parked on the pavement not a barrier in site.
That name Tom Bytheways rings a bell , from somewhere else but can´t think where ¿

1611587240709.png

534 Park Road Handsworth - 1975, general view mainly for the lamppost, old style telephone pole, and if you zoom in very close, old petrol pumps at the Texaco. Also note that the green cross code man is not Darth Vader ( David Prowse played Darth Vader and was the Green Cross code man)
Green Cross Code man was Kevin Keegan.
Chimneys have gone and not sure what it is now.
1611587558964.png

Last edited:
Thanks Steve - that means it is Bristol Road not Bristol Road South - I think. Yes - Tesco Express.
1611587844089.png

Hope that deco building (Tesco) is listed post #44 (original post #32). How wonderful if the original fascia was underneath the modern Tesco one. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a Barclays Bank (post #32) in that style of building before. Viv.

Hope that deco building (Tesco) is listed post #44 (original post #32). How wonderful if the original fascia was underneath the modern Tesco one. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a Barclays Bank (post #32) in that style of building before. Viv.

yes so do i viv...deco is my favourite style my living room recent makeover is in the deco style

121 Bordesley Green in 1974, old style local clothes shop on the corner with Green Shield stamps offered, baker next door and not a national company in sight. Austin 1100 and Vauxhall Viva in the Side street with the Cast Iron street name behind the Austin
121 Bordesley Green in 1974, old style local clothes shop on the corner with Green Shield stamps offered, baker next door and not a national company in sight. Austin 1100 and Vauxhall Viva in the Side street with the Cast Iron street name behind the Austin
Lovely picture of the corner of Carlton Road and Bordesley Green. I knew this shop well... used to buy stockings/tights from there.
Good to see the sash cord windows with the added touch of leaded lights at the top of each (before we all went double glazing mad).
Thank you.
Annie

97 Hobmoor Lane 1973- this one is one for zooming in on - firstly a chopper bicycle, every kids dream - worth a fortune today, RSPCA collection box, ghost sign behind the Danish sign, bubblegum machines, prices in the window and much more
Another shop I knew well in the 60s. I worked at 71 Hobmoor Road (Morris and Jacombs). The shop was known to us as 'Slims' (Mr and Mrs Slim were the owners). We used to pre-order bacon butties, etc for our 10am coffee break.. A godsend to those who used to rush to get to work without breakfast.
Also, used to get sent there for the boss's cigarettes 'Capstan Full Strength'.
Thanks again.
Annie

Last edited:
The tesco Bristol Road looks like a Burton shop front.

I also wondered that too Robert. It’s definitely not a typical Barclays Bank building, so presumably it was built for another company. I think the roof is a later addition. If it’s was Burtons at one time, it probably had a billiard hall above on the first floor. And there might even be ‘hidden’ covered over plaques of named Burton family members on the wall at ground level. Too much to hope for though ! Viv.

Good afternoon
start today at 338 Stratford Road in 1974, general street scene, metal bus shelter - round bus stop sign and a fleetliner bus. The blinds are down on a lot of shops and outside the shoe shop there are baskets and displays of shoes .

Attachments

• 338 Stratford Road - 74.jpg
    338 Stratford Road - 74.jpg
    783.2 KB · Views: 40
50 - 54 Ninevah Road in 1975. All the goods outside the hardware store, the etched window announcing RW Bailey is licensed to sell tobacco, and also gives Green Shield stamps and the record shop next door. also the nice window surround on the hardware store.

Attachments

• 50- 54 Ninevah Road - 75.jpg
    50- 54 Ninevah Road - 75.jpg
    585.8 KB · Views: 26
This is Mere Green Road / Lichfield Road, round the corner from me, now an estate agents although there is still a solicitors upstairs, and a turkish barbers. All the shops on the right have gone, although the municipal school house with the arch window is still there as pub. Love the lady on a bicycle - wouldn't last 5 minutes these days round there though

Attachments

• Hill Village  Mere Green Road SC - 81 (2).jpg
    Hill Village Mere Green Road SC - 81 (2).jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 30
185 Holyhead Road in 1975, Proper family butcher on the corner with the paper bags hanging up in the rails. Love the red and white GPO tents and the the yellow GPO van round the corner. Love the arched windows upstairs on the butchers and the telephone number NOR 1161

Attachments

• 185 Holyhead Road - 75.jpg
    185 Holyhead Road - 75.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 25
And I think I see a thin line of that fake green grass in the butcher’s they used to dress their windows with too Steve ! Wonderful. Loving all the photos. Viv.

Back