• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three young girls stand in this road as the photographer takes his photo. A caption on the photo (postcard) says it is in Gt Barr but having looked at it for quite a few years I have no idea where it is and I know Great Barr.
The road ends at an angled junction with another road which has fields on its far side maybe a park. The road has 10 bar telegraph poles carrying trunk telephone wires which usually radiated outwards from the city centre. Behind the cottage is a glimpse of a 'church like' building.
Does anyone know where it is ?
:)
GtBarrmysterypic.jpg

They stopped on the Chester Road for refreshments. One of the coaches has Llandudno on a sign so if they were travelling there they had a long way to go. The coach on the right has it's bonnet open. Queen Line Coach Co was based in London.
Melbourne_Cafe ChesterRd.jpg

Looking at post 2402.....I was wondering where about on the Chester Road it was ..........I have this photograph "The Cafe" also on the Chester Road, close to the Irish Harp ....don't know who took the photo

$_57.jpg55.jpg

Looking at post 2402.....I was wondering where about on the Chester Road it was ..........I have this photograph "The Cafe" also on the Chester Road, close to the Irish Harp ....don't know who took the photo
View attachment 121690
I put the pic in a thread (see link below) and thought I knew which corner on the Chester Rd it was but was corrected in a following post which gave the actual location.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/great-barr-cottage.48449/page-4#post-608528

This cafe was on the corner of Little Aston Lane and Chester Road, there is a car showroom there now.....going towards Streetly....

Until I read the last post I had the feeling that the cafe was now a Cantonese restaurant called The Peninsular and has very similar chimneys at the back. It's always struck me as being a very unusual building.

Attachments

• Cantonese.jpg
    Cantonese.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 44
With reference to the Melbourne Cafe in post#2402, I've seen the following info from a Streetly resident posted on another website ...
The corner of Hardwick and Chester Roads where the Peninsular Restaurant is now, used to be The Melbourne Stores which had a coffee shop on the upper floor

In pic 1939 could anyone tell me where no 38 Brearley St would be? My lovely Gran lived here in the 20s and a quite a few of my Aunts and Uncles were born here. She, herself was born at 10 Court 3.

Lynnrmond
Was having a lot of trouble, but think I have solved it. The photos you refer to are Brearley St Aston, and no 38 would be the end part of the large building on the left of the photo, and not a house. However then there was another brearley st, in Handsworth, off Booth St, and this did have a no 38. Have no picture I'm afraid, but map below shows no 38 in red. I think court 3 must be the court named Birchfield Terrace (many courts had a number and a name, and which was used was a bit arbitrary) and have marked that in green

map c 1950 showing 38 brearly st handsworth.jpg

Thanks for your hard work Mike, I was sure it was the Aston Brearley St where Gran was born :confused:, I'll have to dig a bit deeper.
Thanks again, amazing what you manage to find out!!
Lynn.

hi lynn what was your nans maiden name and do you know her date of birth...oh if you happen to have her birth cert you could check that to confirm which brearley st she came from

lyn

Hi Lyn, I've spoken to the only child of my Gran's left (My Aunt Mary, 92), it was definitely Aston. Birth certificate only says Brearley St, Birmingham. It's a copy so quite faint and it could possibly be 138, if there was such a number...

Would your gran's surname then have been Neale? There were Neales for at least part of the 30s at 138. If not could you tell us what her surname would have then been.We can then try and search for it on the electoral roll

lynn as said on post 2412 we need your nans full maiden name and married name and her date of birth which will be on her birth certificate as it is impossible for us to check census and electoral rolls without the info..ie if she was born before 1911 she will be on the 1911 census which will give us her address

lyn

Hi Lynn and Mike, my Gran was born Brannon, married and became Humphries, widowed, married again and became Marshall.

A search of those names in the years available online gives a neghative result for Brearley St, though only some years are available, and sometimes the search , which is computerized and epends on the computer reading it correctly, does not work properly

Thanks for looking Mike. It’s a mystery. Her name was Winifred and her married name was sometimes spelt Humphries. Her second husband was Frank Marshall.

ok lynn i will have a look on ancestry for you...just before i go is it brannon or brennon on her birth cert...ps she may have just sneeked on the 1891 census as well

lyn

dont apologise lynn i am as bad and i am a moderator:eek: as said just click on the link on my previous post to read what i have found out...just trying to find her on the 1901 census now

That little lad looks very young to be a pillion passenger and his dad isn't even looking where he is going. A large buttress prop holds up one building. No date for the pic but Campbells shop has some decorations up which look like those used for celebrating some royal event. Difficult to make out whether it is 'GR' or 'ER' or it could have been 'GB' for the Festival of Britain.
XImage1.jpg

Last edited:
The decoration on Campbells store and for Queen Elizabeth II. The photo can be dated to 4th. July, 1953 which was the final day if trams running with Birmingham City Transport. The final routes from 2 Erdington, 78 Short Heath and 79 Pype Hayes ceased that day and were moved to Kyotts Lake depot for short term storage, part cutting up (usually in two halves, lower and upper deck and together with their traction equipment could be seen on low loaders in Stratford Road on their way to Birds, of Stratford-upon- Avon for complete scrapping.
Car 649 was built in 1923/4. The wheels are throwing up grit and gravel from the tracks were were infrequently used and were retained from the occasional movement of trams and work cars to and from The Lake as Kyotts Lake Road depot was affectionately known.
Recorded in another thread here, as far as I recall, is a post I made detailing the route and peculiar arrangements that had to be made to get the trams from Steelhouse Lane to Kyotts Lake Road. This is the thread and post 2306 is the detail.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ur-old-street-pics.41947/page-116#post-601865

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back