• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bevington Road Aston

I was in Brum and visited St Paul's church in the jewellery quarter met who was probably the verger. As we chatted he told me that his family had owned several houses in Bevington Road. Finally said:
That would of been my Father then Alan Sandilands - 145 Bevington Road, Beadle at St Pauls

M husbands family lived at 105 bevington road
George henry grand and ethel mary grand
Their sonwilliam was in the RAF he was discharged on medical grounds
Unfortunatly because of his condition he committed suicide in the sculley of the house

That's Dr Rosenfield's old surgery - a place I got to know very well when I was younger. He was still in practise when he was in his 90's, so I believe.
My maternal grandparents, William and May Diaper, lived at No 22 Bevington Road, to the left of the photos, mid-way between Trinity and Witton Roads, and next door to Beebee's General Store.

Big Gee
yes Diapers lived at 22 next door 20 was a bicyle shop origionally Moxons then Bowyers

WE lived at 131 Bevington Rd from 1968 till 1990,just up from the junction of Whitehead Rd. I remember the old surgery, they built one over the road in Trinity Rd & called it a Health Centre. Remember Beebees shop,wouldn't pass todays hygiene inspections!.If you had a TV from the shop at the bottom of Bevington and you owed money your name was placed in the window for all to see! It was owned by an Ex Villa Player.
did you live near to Howard Crisp used to work public lighting always carried his ladder for gas lamps Billy Beech owned shop before Leslie Smith

There were never any tramtracks in any of the roads running from Witton Road to Trinity Road. The tram looks to be on an incline, so I don't think it's Witton Lane either. Peter would have known.
Di Poppit the trams came up Witton rd turned into Bevington rd along Trinity rd towards Aston cross via Park rd the tram depot was in Witton lane trams ran along Witton ln up Witton rd to six ways we would take tram along Victoria rd to Lichfield rd to Cuckoo bridge when trams finished the 39 bus went from Witton circle to the fire station in Brum

That's Dr Rosenfield's old surgery - a place I got to know very well when I was younger. He was still in practise when he was in his 90's, so I believe.
My maternal grandparents, William and May Diaper, lived at No 22 Bevington Road, to the left of the photos, mid-way between Trinity and Witton Roads, and next door to Beebee's General Store.

Big Gee
do you remember Kendals shop and garage where cycles were stored on Villa days

index.php

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/bevington-road.39684/#post-450920

Mods; there seem to be two threads about this road.

Darlingtons hardware timber &toys next door was Turners sweets & tobacco oppo was Hickertons greengrocer oppo radio shop Beeches charged your accumaltor glass battery for radio oppo Benton & Stone Enots last known Eastern ave Lichfield

I agree with Di Poppitt that there were never any tram tracks along Bevington Road, or any other of the roads linking Witton Road and Trinity Road. I spent a lot of my time as a nipper at my grandmother's house, 22 Bevington Road, in the late 1940's and early 1950's, and had there been any trams passing her door I'd have noticed them! I rather think that Lento is remembering Villa Park match days, when Bevington Road and most other side-streets around Villa Park were clogged with parked buses that brought fans to and from the match. Given the relative narrowness of the roads around there, I don't think there'd be sufficient track-radius for a tram to turn off Witton Road to any of the side roads.

G

Well, if there never tram tracks in Bevington Road then which road/street are those tramcars stationed in the picture I posted in post 29?. The picture clearly states it is Bevington Road not only on this Forum but in a book on Birmingham trams.
The picture shows a line of eight trams which were for Villa supporters. Incidentally the photograph is dated 1949 and trams were withdrawn from the Witton 3X route on 31/12/1949 and was replaced by bus route 39. That would probably be the last time trams used Bevington Road.
The leading tram is 777, with a Fischer bow collector, as were the rest of this class and was at the time based at Washwood Heath depot. It later moved to Selly Oak and was, apparently, the last tram to run on the Bristol Road system on 5/7/1950 when that was abandoned.
Looking closer at the photograph, Bevington Road is called a side road and has a single track. I have an idea that the road was principally used for stabling Aston Villa supporters trams and not a regular route. Someone, with more knowledge of the area, might clarify.

Last edited:
Bevington Rd - Map dated 1892-1914 indicating tram lines. (On Bevington Rd)
Road from left middle centre to upper centre is Witton Rd.
Road from left centre to right centre is Trinity Rd.
Bevington Rd - Tram Map - 1892-1914.JPG

Looking at the Ads for JT Darlington, all say Birches Green Works, Erdington.
Not the same people I don't believe, unless they had another business. The Birches Green people seemed to make flags, deck chairs and all things for the holidays and beach, whereas the Bevington Road address is clearly a house furnisher (furniture carpets) and other household items plus an ironmongery department.

Last edited:
Hmmm.....well, I wasn't quite 3 in 1949, so can't remember! I must say I'm surprised, though. Radiorails, what you say about Bevington Road not being a regular route but used for 'stabling' trams during Villa home matches, is interesting, and maybe that's what I remember, mistaking them for buses. You live and learn on this Forum....

Regarding Darlington's on the corner of Bevington and Witton Roads, in the mid-1950's I was looking at the Dinky Toys in his window when a man came out and asked me if I'd like to earn half a dollar! Er, yes I would! So he took me to the rear of the shop and I spent a couple of hours making Hula Hoops from pre-cut length of plastic tubing and short pieces of dowel to join them. That was a massive craze for a relatively short time, but I believe they're making a comeback.

G

Well, in 1937, J.T.Darlington were at 1 Bevington Road and 265 & 265A Witton road, which is the buildings in red on the map on the corner of Bevington and Witton Roads.
map c 1950 showing 1 bevington road.jpg

BigGee,
regarding the stabling of trams in Bevington Road I wrote 'I have an idea' so that might be only a supposition on my part. \obviously when The Villa were playing at home and trams were laying over in Bevington Road other arrangements must have been made for regular services. That of course was one of the principal reasons that trams had to go: they were not flexible in their operations as buses were.
For the record the only football stadium I ever visited - not that often - was the premier team of the City, lovingly known as The Blues. ;) Mentioning the word villa in front of my uncles was tantamount to a strong swear word. :D

Last edited:
Well I took the JT Darlington in Kingsbury Road, Birches Green to be a timber merchant, and the JTD at Bevington Road has sign saying timber merchant. I believe them to be one and the same.

There is record of a Joseph Thomas Darlington at 1 Bevington Road at least in 1912 and listed as furnishings ironmonger. Now in 1932 there is a Joseph Thomas Darlington in Kingsbury Road near Rookery Park listed as a timber merchant.

In 1937 there was a fire!

(We’ve had the cup pinched more times than Small Heath have won it!)

0560CD5B-B5C3-4792-8FF7-D1F653556FD8.jpeg
Not the same people I don't believe, unless they had another business. The Birches Green people seemed to make flags, deck chairs and all things for the holidays and beach, whereas the Bevington Street address is clearly a house furnisher (furniture carpets) and other household items plus an ironmongery department.

They may well have been owned by the same people, but they are listed separately in Kellys as J.T.Dartington Ltd, timber merchants, and James Thomas Dartington Ltd furnishing ironmongers, so were presumably different companies

The 1911 census gives Joseph Thomas Darlington as being born about 1869 and living at 55 Bevington Road with his wife Alice and daughters, 2 of whom were down as shop assistants, and a female servant.

In October 1940 Alice, wife of JT Darlington, Birches Green House, passed peacefully away at Rhos-on Sea...

I did hint that they might be separate businesses. Possibly between to two companies and the various premises there may be enough information now - and possibly more to come - that there could be a separate thread. I guess we need to establish initially that it was the same named owner and not just different people with the same name. However, there seems to be at least three references to timber supplies to make a start.
I wonder if they continued after that disastrous fire.

~1948-ish, any body remember toffee apple Joes and the Empress cinema Wards building supplies Mrs Powell fish & chips Woods herbalists Norris furniture ,Roses cafe KD garage Witton rd Eileen Norris daughter of Norris,s Maggie Forsyte Gloria Rickets Brian Dunne DaveTonkinson David Kendall Buckingham chemist on corner Endicott rd now at Beebees old shop

Big Gee
big gee what was the name Diapers daughter and was that your mother we moved there in 47

Back