• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Hall

Thanks ell brown,

A sorry sight any many more have fell by the wayside since!

Have had a quick look at your photos, and will be back when I get time to do them justice.

You don’t have to look at all of mine here!...

https://www.panoramio.com/user/2465971

All the best Peter

I organise mine into sets and collections and tag them to make them easy to find at a later date.

Was that pub ok until the Aston Expressway / Spagetti Junction was built?

Think it is still there, hasn't been demolished yet (any chance that they would restore it / move it to another location in Aston?)

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/271566

Oneof the many paintings I have done of Aston Hall over the last 30 years. A gift to an ex member. Eric

Last edited:
Very nice too Eric, you will never know how envious I am of people like you who can do this sort of thing. I am alright at decorating and painting the doors and things, but I am useless with a pencil or an artists brush.
stitchsr.

Yes Stitcher but you are a genius with a needle and thread whereas I have problems sewing a shirt button on, we all have our talents. Eric

aston hall dated 1938

img718.jpg

hi lynn ;
just how do you do it your household is a mine field of gems of photograths you are a true star within your own rights
i can relate to that picture as if if was only yesterday do you have pics of the back ground of those s walls there garden area and the what i recall would say the big patio area balcony that was there in the victorian wall and steps that you walked down on to the pathes that brought you back onto that frontage you have shown;in the picture when walking through the arches the little parlour where you could get a cup of tea and a peice of cake
it was only a little room and then they started to sell the first walls ice cream on sundays only in the summer days those
we played cow boys and indians all round aston halls grown ;and hide from each other in the bushes if the parkie seen us he would come and chase us out
that was before horriss the parkie came on the scene many years later he was worst than the first parkie ; horris was the gaoler down at digbeth police station and steel house lane before he retired and became the parkie at the old grave yard in bordesly before movingto aston park then then the edbaston resser on his green hercules made old police bike made in aston cross he later ended up in summerfield park ;
a;lso my memories of taking a ball to school upper thomas street and went straight to aston park with it and a couple of lads from church lane ; and it was in the winter months with snow on the ground and it was geting dark and some lads jumped out on me and took my lovely balloff me
my nan brought back from blackpool for me on the day before l
and i went home with out it very upset ; cor blimmey they was the days ;for one thing for sure i know one will take nothink off me nowfor dead cert ;
thanks for all your cracking pictures and the hard work you are doing for our great sight we all appreciate it for certain ; alan

lovely memories from you again alan...thank you..i will see if i have anymore of aston hall for you..especially one of behine that wall...

lyn

Hi Lyn & Alan

I did a bit of digging amongst my photo's and came across these.

Aston Hall
Aston_Hall.jpg

Aston Hall Kitchen, Turtle Shell

Aston_Hall_Kitchen_Turtle_Shell.jpg

Aston Hall 1874. This was the entrance gate to Aston Hall and the park.
The gate and lodges were built in Gothic style by Sir Lister Holte between
1754 and 1757. They were demolished in 1959 when the road was widened.
Image2.jpg

Aston hall 1926 showing a parks inspection by the City Parks Committee
in front of Aston Hall.
Image3.jpg

Regards Stars

HI ERIC ;
Fantasic pictures thanks a million for those superb shots ;have you got more
astonian ;;;;;

piy.jpeg-----lah.jpeg
The first picture was in 1918 and the second one is 1990.

Last edited by a moderator:
if possible could anyone give me any memories and recollections about Aston hall on Trinity road during the year 1964 and what kind of place it was like during that year ? thanks tremendously.

aa9.jpeg
The City Council Parks Committee are carrying out an inspection of the flower beds in front of Aston Hall. 1926

Nice to see some of the older phogographs of Aston Hall. I visited recently and was suprised to see the gardens so nice. It was in the 60's when I last visited and do not ever remember seeing any gardens (as I remember straight to the Hall and around it). There were signs at the door then saying no stilletto shoes to be worn!!. Have some recent photographs but not sure how to load them on the site. will have a go and see what happens.167.jpg151.jpg147.jpg165.jpg162.jpgThink it may of worked, hope it has so many photographs seem to of dissappeared.

thank you Shady ......... I want my husband to go visit as he is a 'foreigner' coming from down south!
I warned him that the gardens had gone and not as I remembered as a child. I certainly remember the knot garden out the back as we often sat there and had sandwiches and then I went off to play - round and round them flower beds!
and the sun always shone!!

It cetainly looks a lot more greener in your photos than my last visit in the 70s.

A big thank you to everyone for their photos.

A rare aerial view of Aston Hall and parkland, with Aston Church to the right. But very little else in the drawing! This was drawn c.1850. Surely it was quite built up around the park by the 1850s? Maybe it was a nostalgic drawing. Love the avenues of trees leading across the parkland to the Hall. Must have made a great impression on visitors (such as Queen Victoria, but maybe not on the earlier Parliamentary troops!) Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382622849.455675.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382622849.455675.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 44
For anyone intrested, here's a HD video slideshow of the 2013 Aston Hall by candlelight event: The photographs were taken on 2nd November.

[video=youtube;T4Nboo2QHtE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Nboo2QHtE[/video]

The music is an edited field recording I made of the medieval ensemble playing live that evening.

If you are thinking about attending, I thoroughly recommend it.

All the best

Graham :rapture:

Guy Fawkes day. Do they still celebrate? Remember lots of fun 5th November. John Crump OldBrit. Parker. Colorado USA

Back