• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hospital Street

Sorry for raising your hopes Rupert. Have just realised I got my files mixed up. I was looking at hospital st , not summer lane. I do apologise. It was because it was rather late (here anyway). the map is fine and shows Summer Lane, but the picture was Hospital St
Mike

Yeah, Mike. I was wondering how that would be from there. Anyway this is already much more than I thought. I counted up from the end of Summer Lane and did have the local area but had no idea of the exact place. It's all gone now of course but the street locations are the same and one can find the spot. The typical meager court layout is pretty well documented on here...shudder!! One can only marvel at how families managed in these surroundings. The lot of a mother must have been an onerous one indeed. Perhaps 'railing against the day' rather than the 'night', is more apropriate in these surroundings. I have no recollection of the place...it's just on my birth certificate.

hospital st circa 1900

hospitalstc1900.jpg

NJice picture Lyn.It's a pity we can't read the sign to the left of the picture,we might be able to identify just where it was taken if we could.
It looks like A BOND to me.moss

It looks like A H Gold to me . Have tried to enlarge and clean up a bit below. But only A H Gold around 1900 is Gold Arthur Henry,die sinker & stamper & piercer,36 (back of) Lower Loveday street & pawnbroker, 54 PrinceAIbert street, Bordesley green

hospitalstc1900.jpg

just reposting these pics for pete ex pat...they are all taken inside the rose and crown pub corner of hospital st and brearley st..petes mom and dad both played darts for the pub...

roseandcrown3.jpg

roseandcrown2.jpg

roseandcrown1.jpg

mike if you spot this could i trouble you to post a map showing where the prince of wales pub was in hospital st please...yesterday postie called by to drop off some forum bits and bobs and also an article from an old book telling the story of how the pub was turned into an adult school for both men and women who wanted to try and better their lives even though they lived in one of the poorest areas of birmingham...would think the book was written in the early 1900s and there is even a cracking pic of it with the men standing outside the once pub.even though a school it still retained its name and the prince of wales feathers above the door..pretty sure we dont have a pic of this one....there are quite a few pages to this but if anyone is interested i am happy to scan them and post...i had rellies in hospital street round about this time so for all i know one of the men in pic could be mine but no way of knowing of course..thank to jim for letting me have this article...great stuff..

thank you mike..

Last edited:
hi mike..i dont have the whole book..just the pages out of it about the prince of wales pub..will scan them and the pics in the morning for you..it also mentions friends hall in farm st which is still there..

lyn

Lyn
Below is c 1889 map of area of Hospital st between tower St & Brearley St. I think the Prince of Wales ( no 170) is the purple building

map__c1889_hospital_st_showing__no_182____170_Prince_of_Wales.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like A H Gold to me . Have tried to enlarge and clean up a bit below. But only A H Gold around 1900 is Gold Arthur Henry,die sinker & stamper & piercer,36 (back of) Lower Loveday street & pawnbroker, 54 PrinceAIbert street, Bordesley green

Hi All, there was an Arthur Henry Gold at 103 Hospital Street, Stamper and Piercer in the 1913 kelly's, it was between New Summer Street and Tower Street,
Prior to that in 1908 he was at 133 (back of) Hospital Street and at 103 was Charles Wivell, a japanner.

thanks mike..wonder if you could go back to that map and mark out 182 please...think i know where it is but just like to see it marked out...lynne webb lived at 182 and we do have a pic of that on post 217
cheers mike....

lyn

Last edited:
this article was written by bernard alderson who i woud imagine must have spent a day or two at the sunday school to see how it ran..the pic of the prince of wales pub/sunday school must be rare as ive never seen one before and it is on my list of pubs in the area that closed before 1930...the pages are out of a very old book and are very thin so i am hoping you can read it ok...also inside shots of the sunday school..difficult to say when the pics were taken but early 1900s maybe...a kellys look up will help us to find out when exactly it ceased to be a pub..will start posting the article on the next post..there are 6 pages that make really good reading i think of folk trying to better themselves...

lyn

Last edited:
heres goes..hope you can read it ok..also hope ive got the pages in order lol

page 1

img355-1.jpg

page 2

img356-1.jpg

page 3

img357-1.jpg

page 4

img358-1.jpg

page 5

img372.jpg

page 6

img407.jpg

Hi Lyn,When i were a lad living in Hospital St from 1945 till 1963 The Prince of Wales was used as a youth club a couple of nights a week.I have no doubt it was still a Sunday school and used for other activities by the locals up until it's demolition in the early 1960s.
Great article and pictures Lyn.It appears the building was used in a similar way to The Peoples Hall in Lower Loveday st a few years earlier.Moss

Attachments

• Lower Loveday St & Princip St,PEOPLES HALL.built 1841 still there 1949..JPG
    Lower Loveday St & Princip St,PEOPLES HALL.built 1841 still there 1949..JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 35
ahh there you are moss..i was just thinking about you..thanks for the peoples hall pic and the extra info on the prince of wales..nice to know it was still around when you were lad in hospital st..

lyn

moss do you have a lucy grigg in your family who lived in morville st ladywood round about 1905??

Lyn than you for posting the pages from the book on the Prince of Wales Tavern. I have always been fascinated by the history of the Early Morning Schools. I did some reasearch for Key Hill Cemetery on Joseph Sturge who, was strongly involved with these schools along with many notable Birmingham men. I was very moved when I read a letter written by a youth at one of the schools, he was thrilled at being taught to read and write and how it had changed his world. The writing and spelling were not perfect but the content almost made me weep.

Lyn
There was a slight doubt in my mind as to the position of the Prince of ~Wales, in that, although it looked most likely that the building i had marked was the one from the numbering, the one next door to the south looked more like a pub. Thus i said I thought that was the one. The picture in your book shows that the a;ternative was correct, as there is an entry to the left of the door of the pub, which must mean that it was one building down from the one I marked. Have to go to do something , but will correct the Prince of wales and the no 182 map when ki get back
Mike

Lyn than you for posting the pages from the book on the Prince of Wales Tavern. I have always been fascinated by the history of the Early Morning Schools. I did some reasearch for Key Hill Cemetery on Joseph Sturge who, was strongly involved with these schools along with many notable Birmingham men. I was very moved when I read a letter written by a youth at one of the schools, he was thrilled at being taught to read and write and how it had changed his world. The writing and spelling were not perfect but the content almost made me weep.

hi wend..with what you have just said it just goes to prove that people did want to learn and it meant such a lot to them.. but because in those days they had to go out to work at very early ages the chances of this was almost none existent in a lot of familys...i have 2 or 3 marriage certs here showing that folk in their 20s could not even sign their name..just an x to mark...how lovely though that some of these learning schools were set up and at least gave folk a bit of dignity..self worth and self esteem..

lyn...

Have now corrected map on post 253 & 282.
With regard to when it stopped being a pub, in 1897 the pub licensee is listed in Kelly’s as Holt Brewery beer refs (?). It is not listed in the1899, 1900, 1893 , 1900 or 1903, but in 1904 it is listed as The Prince of Wales Adult School Social Club

thanks for the map change and the info mike..that narrows the date down nicely as to when the pub became a school..

cheers

lyn

Very interesting thread Lyn, when I was growing up I knew two older people who couldn't read or write, one was our next door neighbour, and one was an aunt by marriage. I don't know why they hadn't learnt, as they were roughly the same age as my parents, who were born 1899 & 1900 but perhaps they were from large families and couldn't afford to pay the school fees when State schools opened in the mid 1870s, I think the fees were about one penny but don't know if this was weekly or daily.

Hi Mike. Wonder if you can tell me if #180 Hospital St is south of/next door to #182? i.e all even numbers on this side of Hospital St. My gt grandma/pa had a shop there. They also also had coalyard there. My great grandma also did a bit of teaching and dressmaking too. Talk about Jack of All Trades! Very grateful. Viv.

viv i think all evens in which case your gt grandmothers house will be showing on the pic i posted.on post 217..lynne webb will confirm this but i think her house no 182 is the very last one before the bomb peck...180 will be to the left of that..
all my lot seemed to live on the odds side...

lyn

Last edited:
Viv
Yes 180 would be next door to 182. There is a yard behind , but I'm not clear how he would have got the coal out.

Thanks Mike. Maybe the coal aspect was smallscale e.g bags sold through the shop rather than delivered. Seems to me they'd dabble in anything if it made a few bob. 'Enterprising' is perhaps the better word to describe their business activities! Viv.

Back