• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New John Street West & New John Street

Re: new john st

Stars
The court no had nothing to do with the house no. In fact I can't find any court in New John St (as opposed to New john St West) higher than 28. I could be wrong though

hi Mike
Its a strange one. I have a electoral roll with 14 court 47 New John Street West 1930. I thought that 14 court would be at the back of 47. Thanks Mike

regards Stars

stars ive just noticed you put njw are you sure you rellies lived in new john st and not new john st west as they are 2 different streets..its easy to get confused with these 2 as njsw finishes at newtown row and then new john st starts after newtown row and until i looked at a map about 3 years back i didnt know this myself...

lyn

Hi Lyn
Yes it is definetly New John Street West. My Mom often talked about it and i have my relatives on the electoral roll and i just checked the map you gave me. So it was New John Street West.

thanks for your help Stars

Well if it is New John St Westthen there is no problem . There was a bit of a mix up, as the original photo was supposed to be NJS, not NJSW. Map is below for court 47. In addition there is a photo (from somewhere earlier on the forum, showing the frontages. Court 47 is in red, while the Weldon building in the photo is shown in blue, so the frontage of your court is to the left of the middle of the photo

map_c_1889_court_47_New_John_St_WestA.jpg

new_john_st_west_281029.jpg

what a pic that is...topsy it says new john st on the carts so we have the right caption....i wonder if you could also post this one on the john st thread please..must try and find out what business g holmes was in..

thanks again its a great pic.

think you could be right topsy...could be a general scrap merchant as well by the looks of the yard...

Yes Lyn,i think they were scrap merchants,their yard was at the top of New John St,on the right hand side and just before Aston Road.Great picture Topsy.

1932-40 Holmes Geo. marine store dlr. 126½ New John st 6. TN Aston Cross 2737
1943-50 Holmes Mrs. Alice,marine store dlr 126½ New John st 6
1955 Gone

Hi all
Re-posting lost photo's. This road is special to me, due to my family ties.

New2520John2520St2520West_Hockley_C1967-1.jpg

New2520John2520St2520West_.jpg

Great2520Hampton2520row2520from2520corner2520of2520New2520John2520St2520West_.jpg

New2520John2520St_Hockley_vj2520day_redo.jpg

Regards Stars

smashing stars..njsw holds ties for me too as my gt grandparents were at back o 46 in 1903...

Lovely pictures..... When they first built the flats and we lived in our old house in Clifford St a lot of our friends moved in them from school we were so jealous that they had hot water,bathroom,all on the level, LIFTS!!! . A few years later our Mom/Dad accepted a new one just built and we couldn,t wait to move in. Fast forward a few years all went down hill and couldn,t wait to move out.

i lived in one of those flats along njsw topsy...7th floor with 4 children under the age of 6 in 2 bedrooms...yes they were the bees knees when folk first moved into them from the house clearances but i have spoken to quite a few that moved into them and they all said the same thing after the gloss had worn off....(wish we back down the old end) no place to bring up children thats for sure...

lyn

Don,t know how you coped with 4 kids on the 7th floor Lyn.... A few years after we moved in Sayer house a toddler fell to it,s death out of a top floor window . The Council came and put safety chains on after that.

with great difficulty topsy...got moved down to the ground floor as there were no houses available for me and then had to suffer rats gnawing though into the flat from the bin rooms on the side of the flat..then the renovations started..outside lifts going up and down all day long..dust and all sorts coming through the windows resulting in my youngest becoming asmatic...wont go into detail but a long battle to be re housed followed...so no i have no time at all for blocks of high rise flats..i spent over 6 years in one and would rather have lived in the houses they pulled down to build them...sorry for the moan topsy but it brings it all back to me...very difficult times...

Last edited:
please can anyone say when st georges comprehensive school was built on great hampton street we use to catch a 46 bus home to Handswrth in those days the late 70,s early 80,s did anyone attend that school and can anyone remember any of the teachers

I Bet you must have been pulling your hair out lyn....... I am sure if they had modernised the houses as they did in Carpenters Rd , a lot of people wouldn,t have moved out.

Thanks bernie I don't like facebook a bit old school kids think I am mad but prefer this way thanks for the link

Hi bernie I replied to you and lost the link to friends united please can you send again sorry

Hi YW - The link is still there /\

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Please can anyone remember the name of the school uniform shop on great Hampton row there was a row of about 10 shops, there was also a chip shop round the corner from that little stretch of shops can anyone rember

Back