• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Key Hill Cemetery Memorial Inscriptions

W

Wendy

I am very pleased to tell you all the Memorial Inscription project carried out by Dick Empson with the help of Doug Wilks has now been completed. Dick has kindly given me a copy of the book for the B.H.F. I can not photocopy or loan the book but I am happy to do look ups.
Please give as much info as possible but sometimes just a full name may do. Remember this is just a record of the memorial inscriptions and not a burial register. Some inscriptions are from graves that are buried so may be of great interest.

Don't forget I have to work in the daytime so will get back to you as quick as possible with any results.

How wonderful that these people carried out this project and how brilliant that you now have a copy.
I can see this will be a very valuable source of information for members of this forum that may have relatives buried at Key Hill.
I have said it before and I will say it again - this forum is very lucky to have you as a member Wendy. You are always willing to help others.

Polly :)

Dear Wendy
I wonder if you would be kind enough to look up the MI for James Edmonds d1865 and his wife Rebecca (nee Parkes) d1869; grave 211D.
We corresponded on this family before and I would be very grateful for any information you can supply.
Many thanks
Andy Parkes

Hello Andy
Here is your graves memorial inscription.

In affectionate remembrance of Emma Matilda youngest daughter of James and Rebecca Edmonds died January 21st 1855 aged 20 years. Also James Edmonds died October 14th 1866 aged 74 years. And Rebecca Edmonds died March 20th 1869 aged 76 years. Hannah Jane Essex daughter of the above died March 10th 1870 aged 44 years. Benjamin Essex husband of the above died June 15th 1870. Also of Rebecca Edmonds daughter of the above James Edmonds died February 1st 1881 aged 62 years. Pike list flat slab stone buried on site.

If you need any help let me know.
Wendy.

Hello Wendy,

This is a long shot but I am trying to find the buriel places of Emma Bassett B.1822 ...D 18th May 1890 & John Bassett B about 1847 D 6th September 1892 I'm not sure if they are mother & son or step mother, i'm at a stumbling block to find John's birth certtificate, thank you so much for your offer of help.
Pat

Sorry Pat they are not at Key Hill I have checked the burial indexes as well as the memorial inscriptions. Have you emailed the local cemeteries as you have exact death dates they may look for you.

Hello Wendy,
I have tried Witton for John with no luck there is a John Bassett buried there but they emailed back to say it wasn't him, I have also tried Yardley for both of them, it was just a chance I am just trying to link them together Emma married twice to two brothers & I thought if I could find a buriel it may give me some info, but thanks a lot for trying it is really kind of you.

Pat

Hi Wendy

What a wonderful job you do in helping others to find out things. Just a quick check for me if you are able. Are there any MI's for CRA(Y)THORN(E) at all?

Regards

Steve

Hello Steve, I am afraid there are no MI's for Craythorn.
I have found in the indexes Charles Craythorne with an E buried 1856 secton A grave 43.
There is also a William Henry Crathorne buried in 1906 in section C grave no 309 this is a public grave.

Hi Wendy
Thanks for offering to do lookups - very kind of you:)

Would it be possible to look up a Joseph Downing B1820 Bham died 1893 Edgbaston (60 Varna Rd) and possibly his Wife Caroline nee Rogers B1820 Kidderminster died 1885 Edgbaston.

Many thanks
Suzanne

Hello Sue here is the information from Dick Empson's memorial inscriptions.

Section N grave 509
In loving memory of Joseph Henry son of Joseph and Caroline Downing who died March the 16th 1874 aged 14 years. "Them also which sleep in Jesus will god bring with him." Also of the above Caroline Downing who died June 21st 1885 aged 66 years. "so he giveth his beloved sleep".Also of the above Joseph Downing (Alderman of this city) who died January 1st 1893 aged 73 years. Also Rebecca (Thomas) eldest daughter of Joseph and Caroline Downing who died February 21st 1887 aged 39 years. Also Emily Caroline wife of Wlilliam S Wright and youngest daughter of Joseph and Caroline Downing who died June 1st 1921 aged 63 years.
Notes Alderman Joseph Downing; Guardian of the poor. Member of the city council. Trustee of Sir Josiah Mason's Orphanage.
Wendy

Hello Wendy

Thank you so much. Caroline Rogers who married Joseph Downing was my GT GT Grandfather's sister. She did quite well for herself I think as Joseph had a brass manufacturing business and as you have mentioned was an Alderman and Trustee of Sir Josiah Mason's Orphanage.

I certainly will make a visit to the cemetery:)

Thanks once more,
Suzanne

Susanne I am happy to help and what a great result.
The memorial is standing with curbs so is in good condition. I have just noticed this grave next to N 509
Section N 510
In loving memory of John Short Downing who died August 8th 1918 aged 72 years and his beloved wife Ellen who died October 12 1916 aged 72 years.. Also Ellen Rebecca Downing who died Sept 25th 1873 aged 18 years. Mary infant daughter of John Henry and Lillian Mary Downing who died December 20th 1903. Also Ernest Sellen Downing who died April 1st 1939 aged 56 years.
This memorial is also standing in tact.
There are several Downing's in Key Hill so let me know if you want any more.

Brilliant Wendy:)

I was going to ask you about John Short Downing. I think the Ernest Sellon Downing should be Ernest Setton Downing?
I have copied the map you put on of Key Hill so I am planning a visit this weekend hopefully.

Funny enough my daughter and I were walking around the cemetary last year and we both remarked how peaceful the place is. I am so pleased I have found a relative there and with so much information.

Thanks for you offer of looking for more Downings - No doubt I will get back to you:)

Thanks Wendy

Suzanne

EDIT: forgot to say that John Short Downing is Joseph Downing's son.

Suzanne, what a great result - you must be thrilled. I love it when people find their family graves at Key Hill - it makes me remember how I felt when I found mine there. It is a very peaceful, special place. Enjoy your visit and perhaps you could take some photos to post on the forum.

Suzanne, what a great result - you must be thrilled. I love it when people find their family graves at Key Hill - it makes me remember how I felt when I found mine there. It is a very peaceful, special place. Enjoy your visit and perhaps you could take some photos to post on the forum.

Thanks Polly:)

I must admit I was a bit shocked when I found Caroline had married well and from the newspaper articles about her husband Joseph as a member of the Council, I gleaned he was a non reformist and Wesleyan was mentioned and that he was a preacher? at some time, though I haven't established that bit yet. Also Caroline and her siblings were christened in the Wesleyan Chapel, Kidderminster.

I will certainly take some pictures and post them - hopefully I can get there on Saturday fingers crossed:)

Suzanne

Hi Wendy,

This is my first post so I hope I've done it correctly. Please could I also take you up on your kind offer of look-ups. I am looking for members of the Basnett family - possibly Davey-Basnett. I admit I don't know where they will be buried but I think it may be a possible site.

Thank you very much,

Helen

Hello Helen here is what I found.
Section I grave no 958 Ann Basnett died 1877, Howard Samuel Basnett died 1899, George Basnett 1908 also Samuel Basnett born 22 Feb 1839 died August 22nd 1901. It states no visible memorial so it may have been removed.
There is also a Mary Jane Basnett daughter of Robert Myers Wood who died May 27th 1922 aged 75 buried in section K. If you need more info on this one there is a memorial inscription on the Wood grave.

Hi wendy,
i'm hoping you can help, i am trying to find the location of my uncles grave who was buried at key hill. His name was Ronald Aldridge and was buried at key hill at the end of july 1955. I contacted handsworth cemetary with this query a few years ago but was told the records had been destroyed in a fire and were unable to help. they did give me a reference to a catacomb but from my fathers recollection of the funeral this location was not the right one. My uncle died aged 16 and my father was a few years younger so his memories of the funeral are a little vague, all i could find out was that they entered from the key hill entrance, that the burial took place near a high walled area and it was as far as he can recall an unmarked grave. I know its a long shot but if you have any information or could point me in the right direction to anyone who may have any way of tracing the location of my uncles grave i would be grateful. To my knowledge my father was never taken to visit this grave after the funeral and it has been 55 years since he visited this place. I have been there myself and been trying to locate my uncles grave for a long time without success. I have only just found this wonderful site and its given me a glimmer of hope i can find his brother for him.
Hope you can help,
Ian Aldridge.

Hello Ian I have found a Ronald Thomas Aldridge D 1955 in vault 15. The vaults were not catacombs but were against a large wall. I will sort out some photo's to find Vault 15.

Wendy,

You are extremely kind to spend your time doing this. I certainly didn't expect you to reply so quickly but am incredibly grateful that you did. All of the names you have found are people in whom I am interested so I cna now plan a visit to Birmingham to have a look myself. Now I just have to find the rest! Thank you so much!

Helen

A thousand thanks for this information Wendy i am very grateful for your help with this. I wanted to ask you about the photo, is vault 15 one large vault or are they all seperate vaults on the pic and if so are they clearly numbered so i can find it? also i have the map of key hill cemetery that you have posted on another thread, would you be able to tell me in what section i would find vault 15?
A big thanks again for your help,
regards,
Ian.

Ian, I have managed to find some better photo's of the vaults. Sadly the information you were given is true the memorial tablet for section G 15 vault is missing you can actually see where it was. No's 14 and 16 are there so you can pinpoint it. The internments were not in the wall as some think but in fact in large vaults for several people in front of the tablets.These were public graves and more are buried here than are listed. The names added to the tablets would have to be paid for extra to the burial which was cheaper than a private grave. You can see section G on the map a sort of horseshoe. The ground in front of the tablets is unstable so take care if you are going to visit. If you need any more help just ask. Wendy :)

Hi Wendy
Can please check your list of inscriptions for Richard Burley b1800. He died in Birmingham in December 1855. (His Will was proved on December 12, 1855 if this helps). His wife is Anne Burley.
Thanks Karro

Hello Karro, I have checked the memorial inscriptions and the indexes and Richard and Ann are not at Key Hill although there are some Burley's buried at Key Hill.

Thanks so much for checking Wendy
Since you so graciously mentioned that there are other Burley's would you mind looking for Richards children??
Benjamin Burley b 1824 died June Q 1853
Thomas Burley b 1828 died 1876?
Richard Burley b1835 died March Q 1889
Cheers Karro

Hi Wendy
I wonder if you would mind looking up the following couple:
Mary Ann Kimberley d 1909
Thomas Kimberley b 1846 - 49

I would be interested if there are any other Kimberleys too, their sons where Arthur, William and Thomas (although there may have been more of them!).

Thank you, you are very kind
Sarah

Back