• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Camden Street, Brookfield, Birmingham

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
Camden St
(REPLACEMENT PHOTO)

Attachments

• camden st 1967.jpg
    camden st 1967.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:
Dave, in my old Wakelin's Street Guide it states Camden Street - 25 the Parade to Clissold Street. Cen(tral Birmingham) nos.1-207 and 2-220 Remainder Birmingham.18.

Hi Dave I think we must have a 'Dugmore' connection here...

Mrs. Margaret J. Dugmore of 21, Camden St. Parade, Birmingham. Also my Granddad ( Margret's brother) was married from 21 Camden St in 1919.

Grandad was working at (what Looks Like On his death cert') 1 Camden St as a Metal tube works caster.

Chris

:angel: Dave now sit down as I'm about to confuse you... ???

Now, also Rupert has been classed as Margaret's son I believe him to have been her and my Granddad's youngest brother (I'm almost certain that their mother died giving birth to him or shortly after) and brought up by Margaret from birth, if not it would mean he was illegitimate.
Once I get Rupert's Birth Cert' I will know the answer. I do know that Joe and Margaret had a daughter Emma born 1901

Again I'm not sure yet, however I think Joseph Dugmore belongs one of two families on the 1891 census . Both families have a Joseph of about the right age.

one family living at:

Piece: RG12/2374 Place: Birmingham-Warwickshire Enumeration District: 48
Civil Parish: Birmingham Ecclesiastical Parish: Chrst Ch Summerfield
Folio: 115 Page: 7 Schedule: 55
Address: 8 Oak Terr Icknield Port Rd.‚.. .‚.. .‚..1891 census

OR

Birmingham-Warwickshire Enumeration District: 9
Civil Parish: Ladywood Ecclesiastical Parish: St Barnabas
Folio: 44 Page: 36 Schedule: 254
Address: 38 Crt 6 Ho Grosvenor St West.‚.. .‚.. .‚..1891 census

Once I get the Marriage Cert of Joe and Margaret I will hopefully know who Joe's Dad was .

See I told you to sit....‚.. O0

Chris :angel:

Camden Street & Great Western pub

I've just discovered this website - it's great for learning about my past.

Does anyone have any pictures of the Great Western pub which was on Camden Street/George Street West or any recollections about it?

My Dad ran it from about 1956 until 1961 - I'd love to see what it was like & learn more about it.

Thanks.

Jan

camden street and brook field

Hi Jan
I Have Great Memories From That Area , Unfortuneately I Haven,t
Got Any Photo,s Of The Street Only Memories Of The Drinking Sessions We Had In There And Playing Darts Nearly Every night With My
Muckers ,And Also I Recall The Old Blue Tardis out side The Pub
What The Police Used To Keep In Touch With There Station Whilst On
The Beat Also The Other Pub Up Along Camden Street Was The Little Pub Called The Grotto , I Am Racking My Brains Out About A YOUNG Lady Whom
I Ued To Court Along There Her Name Was Janet And She Had A Little Brother Then She Moved Up To Western Rd With Her Parents I Knew Nearly All The Familys Around There, They Was Good Times
best wishes astonian ,

My grandfather was a brass caster from 1881 to 1917 and lived on Camden Street for some of that time or else very nearby. Can anyone tell me if there was some sort of metalworks or similar company on Camden Street?

Thanks

Yo :) Nearest big "metals" Company was Birmingham Mint ,Icknield Street
thats about 800yards from Camden Street but there were lots of "Casters"
around there, Brass & other metals, strip & ferrous & molten pour.
Brass was used in Coin making (B,ham Mint etc)+Nickel + baser metals.
But could be a Brasscaster at about a 100 places nearby,,
Cheers JohnY:cool:

Hi Deadwood

As I RememberCamden Street The Main Employers Around There Was
The Mint Which Was About 800 Yards From Camden Street,
And The Other Big Company Which Was In Fact In Camden Street
Was WILMOT And Breedon ,Which Occupied The Top End Of Camden Street
And At The Other End Of Camden Street Which Again Would Have Been About 8OO Yards Along On Clissold Street And Colledge Rd Was
Baker And Allen ,A Very Big Foundry Which Employed Hundreds Of Locol
Familys , And Of Course Not Forgetting William Bulpitt,s
But There Was Alot Of Small Caster Arond The Area I Myself Worked For
A Small Alliminum Caster In King Edwards Rd [ The Name Was George Wilkingsons Ltd ,] He Lived InA Posh House InHandsworth Wood At The Time
He Was A Decent BLOKE ,As Time Marched On Barker And Allen Later Became Delta ,GKN Limited Best Wishes Astonian ,;;;

Thanks for that Astonian!

I guess I will never know who exactly they worked for but at least it gives me a feel for the area and a few choices of likely employer.

Deadwood

i too am very interested in camden st as my ancesters lived there at 36 court 4 but as yet have no one who mentions their name, either carwithen or hollingworth can`t find any pics either. if there are any out there i would be very happy colin

I've got a Dugmore connection from that neighbourhood as well. My Great Grandmother was Mary Dugmore, born 1863 in Ladywood/Brookfields, daughter of Samuel Dugmore born c. 1841 Birmingham, and Emma Avery c. 1840.

Re: Camden Street & Great Western pub

Better late than never
(REPLACEMENT PHOTO)

I've just discovered this website - it's great for learning about my past.

Does anyone have any pictures of the Great Western pub which was on Camden Street/George Street West or any recollections about it?

My Dad ran it from about 1956 until 1961 - I'd love to see what it was like & learn more about it.

Thanks.

Jan

Attachments

• Great western, camden st.jpg
    Great western, camden st.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 5
hi i have just seen the firm name bullpits (swan brand) 3 questions was the swan brand place you could buy electrical goods if so what was the road/st called and can anyone remember a firm on the opposite side of the road, name unknown but there was a blue painted door
my mother and i went to swan brand some time ago and as we pulled up she almost went into shock, she then explained that that was where she used to work as a young girl, on the capstans.
anyone know anything please colin

The world famous Mamod model steam engine makers were based in Camden St. 1949 era. My steam engine has Camden Street on the box altho I think they are now based in Brierley hill

15j6s6.jpg

I went to Camden St school. The street is still there, but not too recongisable in my opinion. Someone moved Ingleby St., altogether. The fascia of Camden St School is all that stands now.

Maggs.

i went to the oratory school, but went to camden street school for cookery lessons as we did not have the facilities in the oratory, all the girls enjoyed it as we had to walk there and back which took a while so some lessons were missed oh happy days
regards anniekei

Hi to Izzy;
The Mamod factory was down towards the Parade facing Sloane Street, also
facing a great fish & chip shop that used to give you all the batter scratchings
in with your chips. On the opposite corner I think was an uxters shop selling
bric brac etc

hi guys
yes ingleby street disapeared many years ago did any of you used the inglegby arms
when we used to have the old joe anna going for a song or two . i done a fair bit of singing there do you remember the old lady at the bottom of the street by spring hill passage oppersite prices cutley makers or even better the coach and horses over the rd and the queens head when they used to open at 10,30 in the morning and again at 5 ,oclock the familys that come to my mind are the chadwicks the williams [ old ginger ] he worked as a builder for wakelins in king edwards rd the humpreys and there is to many to mention some-one said camden st was close but it was a fair streets away
from ingleby stret old doctor tracy surgery was there he was a surgeon at dudley rd in fact it was him whom brought me into the big world how many of you danced at the old paliy which later became bulpitts ware house before moving down to camden street the old pali was always packed for the big bands playing there when they closed they closed the factory down and moved to briely hill they opened a shop for retail items in the old chester street for a while then they moved again
yes those were the days in the pubs ingleby arm ,the queens head ,the coach and horses then nip along ellen street to the grotto pub then up to the colledge arms then to the b/a then the duke of wellinton then the wind mill see old stan kirby then the lee bridge down to the brick layers arms then down to the yorkshire grey and straight up the the seven stars and get the b 87 bus back down to the turf at spring hill then the warstone then the gate and into the mint there was a rake of them them we would walk back up ickneild st to the chippie oppersite bulpitts whom we called airy mary a little stoute lady whom daughter was a film star she would haveall pics around the shop and occasionionaly we might end up in te great western best wishes astonian ,;;

The chip shop opposite Bulpitt's was Morgans and their film star daughter was Liza Daniels who starred in the 'Gambler from Natchez'. Her pictures were all around that chip shop. I lived in Moreton St., which was just off Pope Street, and always used that fish and chip shop, also working in the office at Bulpitt's it was easy for lunches some days.

Maggs.

hi maggs
many thanks for that info ; all those years we never knew her name
but she always gaveyou a big bag of chips and they was lovely she always told us abou
t her daughter being in the movies and bulpitts shop was in pope st
best wishes astonian ;;

Hi to Astonian;
You certainly know your pubs, do you remember? The George & Dragon in Albion St
round the corner from Camden St on my last visit to the Quarter I see they have
scaffolding around it to start renovating a beutiful old pub.Many happy memories
sitting on the steps in Carver St with a vimto and a packet of crisps.
You might remember The BIRDS in Pope St from there came Tommy Bird the
rag & bone man who could read or write BUT!!!!!!!!!! BUILT the Birds Empire out
at Stratord upon Avon breaking and exporting scrap metal and old buses all round
the world.The bus engines were Gardiners and they went to power junks in China.
Theres a book there for some budding author.

Hello Astonian,

Morgan's were generous with the chips and, as you say they were lovely. I used to go and get a bag of chips for 3d in a greasproof bag then wrapped in newspaper, and if I had a bit of pocket money I would have a bottle of Pepsi to drink with them...lovely days eh?

Maggs.

I remember the 'Birds' in Pope St., they had quite a reputation. I believe he went off to Stratford and became a scrap millionaire. I went to school with one of their boys (Camden St) and he was a menace. He used to chase me home, and I would fall into the front door scared to death. My dad would get so cross. He would shout ****** off four eyes. (Dare I say things like that on the Forum?

Maggs.

I'm loving these memories - since my dad's family (Charlesworth) lived in Pope Street and my mother's family (Chapman) lived in Camden Drive. None of the old back-to-backs are left now so it's fascinating to read these stories from people who lived in the area.
Astonian: I remember my mom mentioning all those pubs, my grandad used to crawl round most of them on a Friday night, as long as no-one got his wagepacket first!
Pleased to hear the George and Dragon might open again sometime, that was a particular favourite of grandad's, being within staggering distance of his house in Camden Drive. Last I looked it was derelict and the roof was open to the sky! I didn't think there was any chance of it re-opening. Maybe due to the downturn in the property market, no-one wants to build posh apartments on the site. Way-hey!!

HI maggs and Charlie
Maggs I used to Buy My Chips At 3d InThe Grease Proof Bag They Was Brilliant
And The Bags Was L

HI CHARLIE
THERES EVERY CHANCE THAT I PROBABLY KNOWN YOUR GRAND FATHER
AND I CERTAINLY KNEW THE BIRDS VERY WELL LIKE I KNEW THE MOULTS
OF HEATH STREET AND THE PARKERS ANDTHE CASHES OF HEATH STREET AND OF CAUSE THE CLARKES OF VINCENT ST LADY WOOD
AS YOU SAY IF GRAND FATHER WAS USEING THESE PUBS REGULAR I WOULD HAVE KNOW HIM AND MAGGS I USED TO BUY THE CHIPS AS WELL For 3d IN tHE Large bags
And if You Remember The Other Chippies Used TO USE THE Small Bags
have a nice Day Guys BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ,;;

Hello Astonian,

There was a chip shop at the top of Icknield St., opposite side to the library. They always used the small bag. I think they were somewhere near Howards the newsagent and the lovely Benjamins ladies wear. A bit upmarket, but I loved to shop there...when I could afford it!

Astonian we used to go to that chippie they were the best chips i ever tasted and you are right they came in a big grease proof paper bag you cetainly got your threpunce woth,and the photo of her daughter was in the shop and she was a star

Mau-reece

Back